Moderator: Moderators

Revelations won
Sage

Is the Cannon of Scripture Closed?

Post #1

Post by Revelations won »

Is the Cannon of Scripture Closed?

If so by whom?

Who had the authority to close and strop revelations from God?

Approximately on what date did this occur?

Revelations won
Sage

Re: Is the Cannon of Scripture Closed?

Post #21

Dear JW,

You said:

“Post #3
by JehovahsWitness » Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:21 pm

Yes the bible Canon is presently closed.

My response: Who closed it and by what authority?

We can conclude this because the Apostles authorised by Jesus to oversee the first century Christian congregation gave no indication of divine revelation beyond their lifetime. While the Hebrew canon* included promises of a future great Prophet, who would logically be subject to divine revelation (traditionally recorded in written form), the Christian greek scriptures contain no such opening. On the contrary, they contain warnings of a coming apostacy and curses upon unaurthorized additions.

My response:

Yes the scriptures indeed speak of a coming apostasy (We should also observe that throughout most of the Old Testament times there was a great many periods of apostasy.)

Is your above claim fully supported by the old and NewTestament?

*The Hebrew canon was closed many centuries before the Apostles lived; Christians were not adding to Hebrew the books of the Hebrew canon, they were creating their own

My response: Are you asserting that “the New Testament is an unauthorized addition?”

God does of course have the authority to reopen the bible canon at a future date but the "canon" or norm has been established. God assures us in scripture He will not do anything without firsg indicating his intentions. Thus unless claims of divine revelation are supported by prior scriptural indications and /or prophecy, harmonize completely with already existing canons and is accompanied by verifiable supernatural events as evident of divine approval, there is no reason to accept that he has.”

My response:

Who had the authority to close the canon of scripture and on what date?

I would agree with you that “God does of course have the authority to reopen the bible canon at a future date”.

You also said: “God assures us in scripture He will not do anything without firsg indicating his intentions. I am assuming you are referring to Amos 3:7
Surely the Lord GOD will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets.

(I find this interesting since you claim the kingdom of God was established in 1914. Who was the prophet who revealed this great event?)

(Also you state that God will not do anything without first indicating his intentions. Who was the authorized prophet to whom God has shown that the cannon of scripture would be officially closed? At what date was this revelation given???

Kind regards,
RW

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #22

Post by Difflugia »

The canon was added to as recently as 1978.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #23

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Revelations won wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:49 pm
(I find this interesting since you claim the kingdom of God was established in 1914. Who was the prophet who revealed this great event?)
- DANIEL
- Jesus
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

2ndpillar2
Sage

Post #24

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

Difflugia wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:45 am The canon was added to as recently as 1978.
Pardon me for my ignorance of Mormon dogma, but with respect to the 1978 addition, what are the supposed added privileges and blessings of the expanded members of this Mormon "priesthood"? Or is that a secret?

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #25

Post by Difflugia »

2ndpillar2 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:32 pmPardon me for my ignorance of Mormon dogma, but with respect to the 1978 addition, what are the supposed added privileges and blessings of the expanded members of this Mormon "priesthood"? Or is that a secret?
The short answer is that they can be full members of the Church. Most Mormon men are members of the Aaronic Priesthood and then the Melchizedek Priesthood. In practice, it's pretty much the Mormon equivalent of confirmation.

In the Book of Mormon, several waves of Israelites went to the Americas, first in magic submarines, then in big ships. Jesus appeared and told them all about being Christians. A bunch of them went bad and killed all the good ones. God cursed them by making their skin dark and turning them into what became the indigenous Americans.

According to Mormon theology, dark skin was the sign of God's curse. The official theology was that anyone considered "dark" was descended of someone cursed. They could hang out with the Mormons, but they could never join the priesthoods to become full members or go to the Temple or anything. In 1978, God told Spencer W. Kimball that the curses didn't matter anymore.

2ndpillar2
Sage

Post #26

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

Difflugia wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:05 pm
2ndpillar2 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:32 pmPardon me for my ignorance of Mormon dogma, but with respect to the 1978 addition, what are the supposed added privileges and blessings of the expanded members of this Mormon "priesthood"? Or is that a secret?
The short answer is that they can be full members of the Church. Most Mormon men are members of the Aaronic Priesthood and then the Melchizedek Priesthood. In practice, it's pretty much the Mormon equivalent of confirmation.

In the Book of Mormon, several waves of Israelites went to the Americas, first in magic submarines, then in big ships. Jesus appeared and told them all about being Christians. A bunch of them went bad and killed all the good ones. God cursed them by making their skin dark and turning them into what became the indigenous Americans.

According to Mormon theology, dark skin was the sign of God's curse. The official theology was that anyone considered "dark" was descended of someone cursed. They could hang out with the Mormons, but they could never join the priesthoods to become full members or go to the Temple or anything. In 1978, God told Spencer W. Kimball that the curses didn't matter anymore.
That only added to the questions. I still would like to know what is the added "privileges and blessings" other than given another name. And while I have heard of magic underwear, I have never heard of "magic submarines". What submarines are you indicating, and when, and where?

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #27

Post by Difflugia »

2ndpillar2 wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:29 pmThat only added to the questions. I still would like to know what is the added "privileges and blessings" other than given another name.
I don't know what you're asking me, then. If you're trying to debate me on Mormon theology, then you should perhaps understand that I don't believe any of that, either. I'll try to answer your questions as well as I can, but this question just seems obtuse to me.
2ndpillar2 wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:29 pmAnd while I have heard of magic underwear, I have never heard of "magic submarines". What submarines are you indicating, and when, and where?
I normally link to the Book of Mormon at the main Mormon website, but it looks like they're in the middle of a site redesign and their scripture browser is broken. Chapter 2 of the book of Ether in the Book of Mormon has God explaining to "the brother of Jared" how to build "barges" that were "tight like unto a dish" and would be "like a whale in the midst of the sea." Then "the brother of Jared" complains that it will be dark in there. Ether 3 then has "the brother of Jared" cutting "sixteen small stones" out of the mountain that were "exceedingly clear like glass." God then touched them so that they became magic lightbulbs.

If you don't want to take my word for it, the link to the Book of Mormon PDF still works. Ether 2 begins on page 489.

2ndpillar2
Sage

Post #28

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

Difflugia wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:06 pm
2ndpillar2 wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:29 pmThat only added to the questions. I still would like to know what is the added "privileges and blessings" other than given another name.
I don't know what you're asking me, then. If you're trying to debate me on Mormon theology, then you should perhaps understand that I don't believe any of that, either. I'll try to answer your questions as well as I can, but this question just seems obtuse to me.
2ndpillar2 wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:29 pmAnd while I have heard of magic underwear, I have never heard of "magic submarines". What submarines are you indicating, and when, and where?
I normally link to the Book of Mormon at the main Mormon website, but it looks like they're in the middle of a site redesign and their scripture browser is broken. Chapter 2 of the book of Ether in the Book of Mormon has God explaining to "the brother of Jared" how to build "barges" that were "tight like unto a dish" and would be "like a whale in the midst of the sea." Then "the brother of Jared" complains that it will be dark in there. Ether 3 then has "the brother of Jared" cutting "sixteen small stones" out of the mountain that were "exceedingly clear like glass." God then touched them so that they became magic lightbulbs.

If you don't want to take my word for it, the link to the Book of Mormon PDF still works. Ether 2 begins on page 489.
I am just asking for clarification on the material within the link "1978" that you put in your first post with respect to "privileges and blessings". I will admit the link was kind of vague, but since you listed it, I thought you might know what they are talking about. What are the "blessings" or "privileges" attached to being called a high priest? Do they get a pay raise, 3 extra wives, or a free car wash? Apparently they didn't get insight, for they elected Romney as their Senator, and their governor is just another Newsome want to be. They should cover their heads in shame, and loose any wives they may have whatever color is their skin.

Tcg
Savant

Post #29

Post by Tcg »

2ndpillar2 wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:15 pm
What are the "blessings" or "privileges" attached to being called a high priest? Do they get a pay raise, 3 extra wives, or a free car wash?
The LDS proper ended the practice of polygamy more than 100 years ago:
Mormonism and polygamy

In 1890, when it became clear that Utah would not be admitted to the Union while polygamy was still practiced, church president Wilford Woodruff issued a Manifesto that officially terminated the practice of polygamy. Although this Manifesto did not dissolve existing plural marriages, relations with the United States markedly improved after 1890, such that Utah was admitted as a U.S. state in 1896. After the Manifesto, some church members continued to enter into polygamous marriages, but these eventually stopped in 1904 when church president Joseph F. Smith disavowed polygamy before Congress and issued a "Second Manifesto," calling for all plural marriages in the church to cease, and established excommunication as the consequence for those who disobeyed. Several small "fundamentalist" groups, seeking to continue the practice, split from the LDS Church, including the Apostolic United Brethren (AUB) and the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (FLDS Church). Meanwhile, the LDS Church continues its policy of excommunicating members found practicing polygamy, and today actively seeks to distance itself from fundamentalist groups that continue the practice. On its website, the church states that "the standard doctrine of the church is monogamy" and that polygamy was a temporary exception to the rule.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mormonism_and_polygamy
Whatever the "blessings" or "privileges" involve they wouldn't include extra wives.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Revelations won
Sage

Post #30

Dear JW,

I quote the following from your post #23

"Post #23
Unread post by JehovahsWitness » Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:41 am

Revelations won wrote: ↑Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:49 pm

- DANIEL
- Jesus"

My response: Can you show where Daniel stated that the kingdom of God was to be restored in 1914?

Can you show me the scripture where Jesus testified that the kingdom of God was to be restored in 1914?

Best regards,
RW