Rose2020
Scholar

The Sabbath - day of rest?

Post #1

Post by Rose2020 »

Debates have raged over a long time over
this.
So how does one obey?

Is it Saturday or Sunday anyway? It is people who have decided over the centuries as to what constitutes 'work'. I am not sure the Bible specifies.

One point to note is that God worked for six days, then rested on the seventh. It could be He is still resting, if the eighth day is yet to come... It depends how you measure a 'day'.

Tcg
Savant

Re: The Sabbath - day of rest?

Post #11

Post by Tcg »

1213 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:28 am
Rose2020 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:38 am Debates have raged over a long time over
this.
So how does one obey?

Is it Saturday or Sunday anyway? It is people who have decided over the centuries as to what constitutes 'work'. I am not sure the Bible specifies.
I have understood it is Saturday and the meaning is to rest from persons work. And work means the job that the person does for living.
Well, yes, it is a rest from one's work. The day this occurs on is irrelevant.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #12

Post by myth-one.com »

Tcg wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:39 am
1213 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:28 am
Rose2020 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:38 am Debates have raged over a long time over
this.
So how does one obey?

I have understood it is Saturday and the meaning is to rest from persons work. And work means the job that the person does for living.
Well, yes, it is a rest from one's work. The day this occurs on is irrelevant.
Tcg
The total period of time for the weekly sabbath is a week.

The definition of a week is a seven-day period of time extending from Sunday to Saturday.

If a week is seven consecutive days beginning with a Sunday, then the sabbath day of any week can only be Saturday.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #13

Post by Difflugia »

myth-one.com wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:28 amThe total period of time for the weekly sabbath is a week.

The definition of a week is a seven-day period of time extending from Sunday to Saturday.

If a week is seven consecutive days beginning with a Sunday, then the sabbath day of any week can only be Saturday.
There are biblical clues from the pre-exilic prophets (Isaiah 1:13, Hosea 2:11, and Amos 8:5) that the Sabbath may have originally been based on the phase of the moon rather than a seven-day week. Since the four phases as we now recognize them map closely to four periods of seven days, this would have mapped easily onto the Babylonian seven-day week and made for an easy transition during the Exile.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

Savant

Post #14

Post by 1213 »

Tcg wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:39 am Well, yes, it is a rest from one's work. The day this occurs on is irrelevant.
Not for me. :)

rstrats
Scholar

Post #15

Post by rstrats »

[Replying to Tcg in post #11]

Tcg,
re: "Well, yes, it is a rest from one's work. The day this occurs on is irrelevant."

On what are you basing that assertion?

Tcg
Savant

Post #16

Post by Tcg »

rstrats wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:37 pm [Replying to Tcg in post #11]

Tcg,
re: "Well, yes, it is a rest from one's work. The day this occurs on is irrelevant."

This goes back to what I stated in post #4. Jesus reportedly stated, "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath." I take this to mean that the day of rest was to improve human's physical and mental health. This can be achieved no matter what day of the week one chooses to rest on.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #17

Post by myth-one.com »

Tcg wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:01 pm
rstrats wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:37 pm [Replying to Tcg in post #11]

Tcg,

This goes back to what I stated in post #4. Jesus reportedly stated, "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath." I take this to mean that the day of rest was to improve human's physical and mental health. This can be achieved no matter what day of the week one chooses to rest on.

Tcg
The Sabbath is a sign, not simply a period of rest:
It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed. (Exodus 31:17)
Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the Lord that doth sanctify you. (Exodus 31:13)
Moreover also I gave them my sabbaths, to be a sign between me and them, that they might know that I am the Lord that sanctify them. (Ezekiel 20:12)
Sabbaths are six equal periods of work or usage, followed by one equal period of rest or idleness. There are sabbaths in the Bible based on days, years, and a thousand years.

The biblical Sabbath based on days is to work Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday: and then rest from one's work on Saturday.

Our calendars are based on seven day week periods of time, and the first day is Sunday. So we work six days, then rest on the seventh day of the week, Saturday.

That is the only way to understand the "sign" being given to mankind by the biblical Sabbath to be remembered by man:
Exodus 20:8 wrote:Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

Avoice
Guru

Post #18

Post by Avoice »

[Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #3]
Yeah, real nice of him to get you to not keep the Sabbath. What a great guy! He sure loves you alright.

Did you notice how he himself keeps the law but gets everyone to ignore it. He wasn't plucking corn on the Sabbath was he? No, just his followers.
Yeah...and the serpent didn't eat from the bad tree either. He just got others to eat from it. What a snake! He even promised they would live forever. Yeah, sure

Avoice
Guru

Post #19

Post by Avoice »

[Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #3]

So, you are saying you obey the voice of one who is not God.
God said keep the Sabbath. Some guy tells you not to and you listen to him.

So you worship the creature not the creator. Why? Why do you break the 1st commandment putting someone before God? Seriously, you don't like God? Or just don't want to listen to him? Or you don't like what he says? Jesus more likeable? I mean you have a choice and you don't choose the creator but rather his creation .
Why?