Moderator: Moderators

Miles
Savant

For Christians. Are You A Follower Of Jesus? It's Highly Doubtful

Post #1

Post by Miles »

Consider:

Luke 1249-:53
49 Jesus continued speaking: “I came to bring fire to the world. I wish it were already burning! 50 There is a kind of baptism[ that I must suffer through. I feel very troubled until it is finished. 51 Do you think I came to give peace to the world? No, I came to divide the world! 52 From now on, a family of five will be divided, three against two, and two against three.

A father and son will be divided:
The son will turn against his father.
The father will turn against his son.
A mother and her daughter will be divided:
The daughter will turn against her mother.
The mother will turn against her daughter.
A mother-in-law and her daughter-in-law will be divided:
The daughter-in-law will turn against her mother-in-law.
The mother-in-law will turn against her daughter-in-law.”

Luke 14:26

26 “If you come to me but will not leave your family, you cannot be my follower. You must love me more than your father, mother, wife, children, brothers, and sisters—even more than your own life!

Ever see anyone do any of the above? I haven't. In fact, Jesus makes a great prediction, which, honestly, I've also never seen happen.

Matthew 10:34-36
34 “Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace. I came to bring trouble. 35 I have come to make this happen:

‘A son will turn against his father.
A daughter will turn against her mother.
A daughter-in-law will turn against her mother-in-law.
36 Even members of your own family will be your enemies.’

So, what's going on here? Have YOU turned against your mother or father and the other members of your family? Is no one a true follower of Jesus or can Christians simply disregard such troublesome verses?

Is Jesus simply an utter failure here?

Miles
Savant

Re: For Christians. Are You A Follower Of Jesus? It's Highly Doubtful

Post #41

Post by Miles »

Rose2020 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 4:50 pm [Replying to Miles in post #39]

If I was you I would worry about your own fate.
Why? If I was you I wouldn't worry about your own fate at all because there's nothing you can do about it. It's all predestined. And like I said, if I was you I'd prepare for warm weather because the odds certainly aren't in your favor---at least as the JWs see it.

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #42

Post by Rose2020 »

Jesus Christ is the answer. Of this I am in no doubt.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #43

Post by onewithhim »

Rose2020 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 12:12 pm [Replying to onewithhim in post #37]

Hi
Yes I do my best.
So may I ask, are you a Jehovah's Witness? Just curious.
Though it makes no difference to me what denominations people are, as long as they accept Christ as Saviour.

To answer the original question of this topic. Yes indeed several people in my family and friends do not understand my Christian faith but no matter. It is not their approval I need, they are not with me for all eternity after all.
This life is fairly brief.
Yes, I am one of Jehovah's Christian Witnesses. I have accepted Christ as my Saviour, as have all JWs.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #44

Post by onewithhim »

Miles wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 5:24 pm

Why? If I was you I wouldn't worry about your own fate at all because there's nothing you can do about it. It's all predestined. And like I said, if I was you I'd prepare for warm weather because the odds certainly aren't in your favor---at least as the JWs see it.

The JWs see many people, even non-JWs, who will be dealt with mercifully. There is no hell-fire, and only those who are incorrigibly evil will be put to "sleep" forever. Why do you think we believe in hell-fire? It's a pagan teaching.

Miles
Savant

Post #45

Post by Miles »

onewithhim wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:18 pm

The JWs see many people, even non-JWs, who will be dealt with mercifully. There is no hell-fire, and only those who are incorrigibly evil will be put to "sleep" forever.
Really!

Mark 9:43
And if your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life crippled than with two hands to go to hell, to the unquenchable fire.

Revelation 14:10

He also will drink the wine of God's wrath, poured full strength into the cup of his anger, and he will be tormented with fire and sulfur in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb.

Among many other verses.

Why do you think we believe in hell-fire? It's a pagan teaching.
It's in the Bible. Besides, what's wrong with a little paganism? The occult symbol adorning the covers of Russell's Studies in the Scriptures series is pagan, as are marriage rings, white wedding dresses, the wedding veil, wedding cakes, and baby showers. All pagan customs enjoyed by JWs. Or so I'm told.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #46

Post by onewithhim »

Miles wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:55 pm

The JWs see many people, even non-JWs, who will be dealt with mercifully. There is no hell-fire, and only those who are incorrigibly evil will be put to "sleep" forever.
Really!
All of your references are to be taken metaphorically. Jesus and the Bible writers were referring to a situation where the end result would be AS IF the person had been burned up in a fire---nothing would be left of him. This was why Jesus referred to the valley of Gehenna outside Jerusalem where garbage and criminals were thrown to burn up. Do some more research on "hell" and "Gehenna." They are not even the same thing. I'm surprised that you haven't gotten the idea from previous threads on "hell."

Miles
Savant

Post #47

Post by Miles »

onewithhim wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:17 pm
Miles wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:55 pm

Really!
All of your references are to be taken metaphorically. Jesus and the Bible writers were referring to a situation where the end result would be AS IF the person had been burned up in a fire---nothing would be left of him. This was why Jesus referred to the valley of Gehenna outside Jerusalem where garbage and criminals were thrown to burn up. Do some more research on "hell" and "Gehenna." They are not even the same thing. I'm surprised that you haven't gotten the idea from previous threads on "hell."
Yeah, if only; however. . . . .

Deuteronomy 32:22
A fire is kindled in my wrath, and shall burn even to the lowest hell: and shall devour the earth with her increase, and shall burn the foundations of the mountains.

Luke 16:22-24
22-24 “Then he died, this poor man, and was taken up by the angels to the lap of Abraham. The rich man also died and was buried. In hell and in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham in the distance and Lazarus in his lap. He called out, ‘Father Abraham, mercy! Have mercy! Send Lazarus to dip his finger in water to cool my tongue. I’m in agony in this fire.

And if your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life crippled than with two hands to go to hell, to the unquenchable fire.

Matthew 5:22
But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell of fire.

James 3:6
The tongue is like a spark. It is an evil power that dirties the rest of the body and sets a person's entire life on fire with flames that come from hell itself.

Daniel 3:88
O Ananias, Azarias, and Misael, bless ye the Lord: praise and exalt him above all for ever. For he hath delivered us from hell, and saved us out of the hand of death, and delivered us out of the midst of the burning flame, and saved us out of the midst of the fire.

Matthew 18:8-9
And if your eye distracts you from God, pull it out and throw it away. You’re better off one-eyed and alive than exercising your twenty-twenty vision from inside the fire of hell.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #48

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Miles wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 3:32 am
onewithhim wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:17 pm

All of your references are to be taken metaphorically.
Yeah, if only; however. . . .

ILLUSTRATION
Luke 16:22-24
22-24 “Then he died, this poor man, and was taken up by the angels to the lap of Abraham. The rich man also died and was buried. In hell and in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham in the distance and Lazarus in his lap. He called out, ‘Father Abraham, mercy! Have mercy! Send Lazarus to dip his finger in water to cool my tongue. I’m in agony in this fire.

Luke 16:22-30 : Does the parable of The Rich man and Lazarus teach us about life beyond the grave?
viewtopic.php?p=1027588#p1027588
FIGURE OF SPEEECH/HYPERBOLE

Are Jesus words at Matthew 26:24 (Mark 9:42) evidence of a torturous afterlife?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 65#p971265

METAPHOR /HYPERBOLE
Matthew 18:8-9
And if your eye distracts you from God, pull it out and throw it away. You’re better off one-eyed and alive than exercising your twenty-twenty vision from inside the fire of hell.[/indent]

Did Jesus promoted self mutilation at Matthew 18:8-9?
viewtopic.php?p=417086#p417086

SYMBOLISM [GEHENNA :RUBBISH DUMP]
Matthew 5:22
But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell of fire.

Are Jesus words at Matthew 5:22 (GEHENNA) to be taken literally?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 76#p373876

To learn more please go to other posts related to...

BIBLE "HELL", THE CONDITION OF THE DEAD and ...HELLFIRE TORTURE DEBUNKED
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Tue May 24, 2022 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #49

METAPHOR

James 3:6
The tongue is like a spark. It is an evil power that dirties the rest of the body and sets a person's entire life on fire with flames that come from hell itself.

James is clearly speaking of a metaphoric fire since he speaks of the tongue also being a fire (spark); also literal fire cannot burn "life" which is a state or a condition; one can no more burn life, as one man burn "happiness" or "sadness" . Note how the New World Translation render the verse
JAMES 3:6

The tongue is also a fire. The tongue represents a world of unrighteousness among our body members, for it defiles all the body and sets the whole course of life* on fire, and it is set on fire by Gehenna*
GEHENNA was a rubbish dump justnoutside Jerusalem where literal rires were kept burning to consume the cities waste. James uses that literal fire as a symbol for the destructive effect of negative speech.

Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Tue May 24, 2022 10:00 am, edited 3 times in total.

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #50

POETRY/SONG
Deuteronomy 32:22
A fire is kindled in my wrath, and shall burn even to the lowest hell: and shall devour the earth with her increase, and shall burn the foundations of the mountains.

Deuteronomy 32 is literally a song composed by Moses for the people of Israel. In it, the anger of God likened metephorically to a fire. We know it must be a metaphor because anger is an emotion and emotions are feelings which to not literally generates heat outside of the body.

Speaking of the inescapable force of God's anger against the wicked, in poetic language that metaphoric "fire" is said to "devour the earth" " burn the foundations of the mountains" and burn even to "hell" (SHEOL) as in "the grave".

JW

Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Tue May 24, 2022 9:59 am, edited 2 times in total.