Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Rose2020
Scholar

Judging and punishing others

Post #1

Post by Rose2020 »

1 Corinthians Chapter 5 .

Surely Paul did not mean physical harm should be meted out to a known sinner by his brethren?
I take this chapter to mean if a person is obviously a bad influence, he ought to be made to leave. After all God is the true judge. Yet such cruelty has been exercised over the centuries, by taking the words in the Bible as a license to beat, torture and kill.

To apply Paul's teachings to our lives, I would say simply dissociate from those who are a corrupting influence, but do not be cruel and even murderous yourself.
To me, Jesus always taught with love. Paul knew that - he did not personally harm anyone did he?

2timothy316
Under Probation

Re: Judging and punishing others

Post #2

Post by 2timothy316 »

The decree is summed up in verse 9. "In my letter I wrote you to stop keeping company with sexually immoral people."
Seems clear that It's not about what actions a Christian takes on the bad actors but what actions is a Christian themselves are supposed to take. Paul was repeating what Jesus said in Matthew 18:15-17 to treat an unrepentant wrong doer as a person that person that should be shunned because they will not change their ways.

Also, you're right, we shouldn't seek to kill or harm the wrong doer. There is nothing in the Bible that says to do that. The dissociation is the discipline and the hopes is that the person will return to following in the footsteps of Christ. Heb. 12:7-11. Luke 15:11-24

Miles
Savant

Post #3

Post by Miles »

2timothy316 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 11:11 am The decree is summed up in verse 9. "In my letter I wrote you to stop keeping company with sexually immoral people."
Seems clear that It's not about what actions a Christian takes on the bad actors but what actions is a Christian themselves are supposed to take. Paul was repeating what Jesus said in Matthew 18:15-17 to treat an unrepentant wrong doer as a person that person that should be shunned because they will not change their ways.

Also, you're right, we shouldn't seek to kill or harm the wrong doer. There is nothing in the Bible that says to do that.
The dissociation is the discipline and the hopes is that the person will return to following in the footsteps of Christ. Heb. 12:7-11. Luke 15:11-24
How about where the Bible tells you to kill practicing male homosexuals, who are obviously wrong doers is god's eyes?

Leviticus 20:13
(CEB)
If a man has sexual intercourse with a man as he would with a woman, the two of them have done something detestable. They must be executed; their blood is on their own heads.

I assume you never read this verse or simply forgot about it, perhaps putting it in the recesses of your mind to forget. What ever the case, my guess is that you're a bit behind in your quota of executing practicing male homosexuals and have a lot of catching up to do. BTW. I am not a homosexual. O:) I swear.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #4

Post by 2timothy316 »

Miles wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 3:16 pm
2timothy316 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 11:11 am The decree is summed up in verse 9. "In my letter I wrote you to stop keeping company with sexually immoral people."

Also, you're right, we shouldn't seek to kill or harm the wrong doer. There is nothing in the Bible that says to do that.
The dissociation is the discipline and the hopes is that the person will return to following in the footsteps of Christ. Heb. 12:7-11. Luke 15:11-24
How about where the Bible tells you to kill practicing male homosexuals, who are obviously wrong doers is god's eyes?

Leviticus 20:13
(CEB)
If a man has sexual intercourse with a man as he would with a woman, the two of them have done something detestable. They must be executed; their blood is on their own heads.

I assume you never read this verse or simply forgot about it, perhaps putting it in the recesses of your mind to forget. What ever the case, my guess is that you're a bit behind in your quota of executing practicing male homosexuals and have a lot of catching up to do. BTW. I am not a homosexual. O:) I swear.

Nope, didn't forget it at all and I have read the Mosaic Law many times.
However, you're quoting from the Mosaic Law and Christians are not under the Mosaic Law and thus are under no obligation to enforce it. Jesus will judge all mankind, including homosexuals. Christians have no input in the judgement of anyone nor do Christians participate in the execution of that judgement.

No homosexual will answer to a Christians for what they do. I don't sit on the judgement seat, if you commit homosexual acts, you wouldn't answer to me. I am also under no obligation to vote laws into place to try and stop homosexuality.
"For we must all appear before the judgment seat of the Christ, so that each one may be repaid according to the things he has practiced while in the body, whether good or bad." - 2 Cor 5:10

However, I am under obligation to warn. But seeing as you have already quoted Leviticus 20:13, it would seem you are aware of the warning.

Tcg
Savant

Post #5

Post by Tcg »

2timothy316 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 11:11 am
Of course there is:
Exodus 22:18 “Do not allow a sorceress to live.

19 “Anyone who has sexual relations with an animal is to be put to death.

20 “Whoever sacrifices to any god other than the Lord must be destroyed.
This is in the Bible and therefore proves your claim false.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #6

Post by 2timothy316 »

Tcg wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:43 am
Of course there is:

Tcg
As I posted earlier in post #4, you're quoting the Mosaic Law which Christians are not obligated to follow since the death of Jesus Christ. Be it that I am not under the command of the Mosaic law thus proves your point moot. (Romans 10:4, Romans 7:6)

Trying to follow the Law Code today would be like putting new wine in old wineskins. It doesn't work. (Mt 9:17; Mr 2:22; Lu 5:37, 38) Just like trying to follow the Law of the Christ while trying to follow the Mosaic Law too. It doesn't work.

Miles
Savant

Post #7

Post by Miles »

2timothy316 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:02 am
Of course there is:

Tcg
As I posted earlier in post #4, you're quoting the Mosaic Law which Christians are not obligated to follow since the death of Jesus Christ. Be it that I am not under the command of the Mosaic law thus proves your point moot. (Romans 10:4, Romans 7:6)

Trying to follow the Law Code today would be like putting new wine in old wineskins. It doesn't work. (Mt 9:17; Mr 2:22; Lu 5:37, 38) Just like trying to follow the Law of the Christ while trying to follow the Mosaic Law too. It doesn't work.
So, no Ten Commandments? They're out the window?

onewithhim
Savant

Post #8

Post by onewithhim »

Of course there is:

Tcg
As Christians, we are to subject ourselves to the superior authorities (Romans 13:1), except when they order us to do something in opposition to what God tells us to do (Acts 5:29). The laws against witchcraft, bestiality, and idolatry were in place to keep Jehovah's people clean. The nations today do not recognize Jehovah as Sovereign. So there isn't a high counsel to carry out the Mosaic Law, as there was in ancient times. There is no mandate to destroy those kinds of people mentioned above. Christians do not have any authority to do so either. We leave the judging to God, and he will take care of deviant perverts himself, in the end.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #9

Post by 2timothy316 »

Miles wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 3:03 pm
Of course there is:

Tcg

Yep. There is now something better.
“All things . . . that you want men to do to you, you also must do to them. This, in fact, is what the Law and the Prophets mean.” (Matthew 7:12; Luke 6:31)
In other words, what Jesus said here is what the 10 commandments are based on. So while the 10 commandments are no longer enforced, the new commandment is what many call, the 'Golden Rule".

Miles
Savant

Post #10

Post by Miles »

2timothy316 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 4:15 pm
Miles wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 3:03 pm
Of course there is:

Tcg

Yep. There is now something better.
“All things . . . that you want men to do to you, you also must do to them. This, in fact, is what the Law and the Prophets mean.” (Matthew 7:12; Luke 6:31)
In other words, what Jesus said here is what the 10 commandments are based on. So while the 10 commandments are no longer enforced, the new commandment is what many call, the 'Golden Rule".
To me this is quite strange, which has me curious as to the Christian denomination you belong to? Care to share?