Who is a Christian?? !!

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

oldbadger
Guru

Who is a Christian?? !!

Post #1

Post by oldbadger »

Before Covid I used to cycle around my local area and would visit chapels and churches which held tea'n'chat meetings. On one occasion I passed a Christian hall and saw a poster which read something like 'soup and chat', and I walked inside just as the event was commencing. A long table was set and many mid-aged and elderly folks sat around; I was guided to a place.

A very stern lady across the table fixed me in her gaze and an interrogation began:-
Who are you?
Hello I'm oldbadger.
Why have you come here?
I wanted to meet you, and the soup is interesting.
How did you know about this meeting?
I saw a big poster outside.
Do you walk in to any place because of posters?
Yes..... I often do.
Where else have you just walked in to?
Oh, lots of places. The Methodist church holds tea/biscuit meets on Saturday mornings.
She grunted what sounded like disapproval. I mentioned a few other meetings and then the room erupted.
I said....
Oh, and the Christian Spiritualists in T--------- offering healing and tea on Mondays at 1.30pm.

This stern lady exploded.
They are not Christians! They worship the Devil! All these evil people who pretend to be Christians...... Jesus warned us about you all! And that disgusting Halloween...... ............ well this carried on for minutes until she could be calmed down.

This has happened many times....... I once mentioned that we have JW Christian friends and we are pleased to let them park on our driveway when visiting homes in the area, and several Christians immediately pointed out that JWs are different, or not proper Christians......

There are many many differing churches and creeds, and so I wonder....... who is a proper Christian?

tam
Savant

Re: Who is a Christian?? !!

Post #131

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:45 pm
tam wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:33 pm
James used religion as a verb
So is he "muddying the waters"?
James is not contradicting the truth that Christ is the one mediator between man and God. James is not adding something else (such as a religion) between man and Christ and God. So no, James is not muddying the waters.

More detail on my comment is found here (if you even read it; certainly you did not address it):

First - it doesn't make sense. The Church is the people.

Second - that verse is obviously not describing an organized institutionalized religion. It is describing an action.

Third - it is interesting that this word being translated as 'religion' is only used 4 times in the entire New Testament that I can see (and never by Christ). Once it is used to describe an actual religion: Acts 26:5, where Paul is describing his time as a Pharisee, a strict sect in his former religion. Once it is translated as worship of angels (in a negative light). And of course twice from James, describing it as an action. Not as an organization. (Though James appears to be using the word to counter those who are claiming to be religious or pious, but who are not bothering to do the things that God approves: such as caring for widows and orphans.)

I think it is evident that you will continue to refuse to accept only the parts of scripture you do not like and that there is little hope you will address what role religion plays in true worship.
I think it is evident that this verse does not mean what you think it means, as has been pointed out and ignored. I think it is evident that you are refusing to answer questions asked of you. I think the reason for that is evident as well.

But I have documented that you have admitted you belong to A CHURCH and that you and the fellow members of your church are not organised.

This statement is disingenuous. You are adding to what I have said. But my actual words are here for anyone to read if they so choose. *shrugs*

We already know you reject what the Christian scriptures say as to how the TRUE church should be organised.
More likely, I reject the claims that you and your religion are making about what is written. I have posted verses that support those things that I have shared.

I might pick this up at a later date, but for now this discussion is over,
Of course it is.

Peace again to you, and to you all,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy
- Non-religious Christian spirituality

- For Christ (who is the Spirit)

oldbadger
Guru

Post #132

Post by oldbadger »

tam wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:49 am Peace to you,

I am not part of those, any of them, regardless of how many times you and yours try to tell me otherwise.

Regardless:

It is STILL not:

Man -> priests/elders/governing bodies/religion -> Christ -> God.

It is STILL:

Man <-> Christ <-> God

That 'chart' alone should show you the difference.
tam wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:53 pmThe Church would be those people who are in Christ... so those in the 'man' category who are in Christ...
THE CHURCH - Christ - GOD
Peace again to you,
tammy
Please excuse me reducing your post, but I wanted to highlight the above.
I don't know much about Christianity but I have read about Jesus and what he did/said.

If a person was living alone, washed up upon a desert island for many years and an empty lifeboat drove up on to its beaches one night, and the cast away found a bible on board it and read about Jesus, and became a Christian.......... could this be? Could a Christian 'become' just through reading about Jesus and deciding that he was/is a Christian?

If so then I think that you would be right, Tam. Of course, one wouldn't need to be on a desert island to find their way and be a Christian, so I guess that if anybody should tell that person that they must join one church, or another etc..... it might not be necessary....maybe?

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #133

Post by 2timothy316 »

tam wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:53 pm
2timothy316 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:48 pm [Replying to tam in post #112]

Not a single thing to back you up. Its all your words Tam...as usual. You're no part of an organization.
I always back up what I share, timothy. You can make whatever accusation you want to make, but the people reading will be able to see otherwise.

Peace again to you.
Backup with what? Your word? I don't trust your word.

tam
Savant

Post #134

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
oldbadger wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:43 am
tam wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:49 am Peace to you,

I am not part of those, any of them, regardless of how many times you and yours try to tell me otherwise.

Regardless:

It is STILL not:

Man -> priests/elders/governing bodies/religion -> Christ -> God.

It is STILL:

Man <-> Christ <-> God

That 'chart' alone should show you the difference.
tam wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:53 pmThe Church would be those people who are in Christ... so those in the 'man' category who are in Christ...
THE CHURCH - Christ - GOD
Peace again to you,
tammy
Please excuse me reducing your post, but I wanted to highlight the above.
I don't know much about Christianity but I have read about Jesus and what he did/said.

If a person was living alone, washed up upon a desert island for many years and an empty lifeboat drove up on to its beaches one night, and the cast away found a bible on board it and read about Jesus, and became a Christian.......... could this be?

Yes... (keep reading)...
Could a Christian 'become' just through reading about Jesus and deciding that he was/is a Christian?
Continuing with your deserted island example... You may love Christ and follow/obey Him out of love (thereby being His disciple). Yes, this could happen on a deserted island. However, and this might come off as a technical point (though still true): we do not just decide that we are Christian. Christ is the One who decides that, by baptizing/anointing us with holy spirit <-that is what makes a person a Christian (meaning, an anointed one... anointed/baptized with holy spirit).

But yes, all of this could happen on a deserted island.

I was not part of a religion or a group when I received holy spirit from my dear Lord (from Christ). At the time, I didn't even understand what holy spirit was! I can describe the experience (a warm breeze and utter utter peace washing over me), but I did not know what that meant until some time later when my Lord reminded me of that experience, that this had been my anointing. There was MUCH I did not understand at the start, MUCH I had to learn (and more for me to learn still). The only thing I knew (and even this my Lord taught me) was that I am to listen to and follow Him, that He is the Truth (and the One to whom God drew me and the One to whom God wanted me to listen). That I am not to worry about what anyone else is teaching. I am to remain in Christ. He would teach me the rest, anything I needed to know, and lead me into all truth.

Christ was then and is now, my Teacher, Leader, Master, Lord. My Father in heaven is the One who drew me to His Son (as Christ said, 'no one comes to me unless the Father draws them'.) I had been seeking to know what was true, and I prayed to be led wherever He (God) wanted me to be. He led me to His Son.

If so then I think that you would be right, Tam. Of course, one wouldn't need to be on a desert island to find their way and be a Christian, so I guess that if anybody should tell that person that they must join one church, or another etc..... it might not be necessary....maybe?
It is absolutely not necessary to join any sect or denomination in any religion. More than that, none of these sects/denominations/religions are from Him. He did not come and start a brand new institutionalized religion. He did not come and set up an institution that would do things the same way as before, and as every other religion does. No, He said that the time was coming (and was then here) that the true worshipers would worship in spirit and in truth. But no religion is the truth (and though all of them speak some truth - how else to mislead those people who are SEEKING truth - all religions also speak and teach lies). Worshiping in spirit and in truth will mean worshiping in/through Christ. Not in/through a religion.

There is no true religion. There is only the One who is the Truth: Christ Jah'eshua (meaning JAH saves/savior of JAH). He speaks only truth (that is the language that He speaks), and He is the ONLY one who can lead His sheep into all truth.

"This is my Son, whom I love. Listen to Him." (Mark 9:7, if anyone needs to see it)

May anyone who wishes them be given ears to hear to hear as the Spirit (Christ) and the Bride say to you, "Come!" May anyone who thirsts and anyone who wishes, "Come! Take the free gift of the water of Life!"

(which water is holy spirit - the breath/blood/seed of JAH - that is poured out from Christ, given to Him without end from His Father)

tammy

tam
Savant

Post #135

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
2timothy316 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:08 am

Not a single thing to back you up. Its all your words Tam...as usual. You're no part of an organization.
I always back up what I share, timothy. You can make whatever accusation you want to make, but the people reading will be able to see otherwise.

Peace again to you.
Backup with what?
Sometimes (I think most often) with what Christ has said, often also with what is written. Often also with love, reason. (I have since added in the biblical references to the post you took issue with, so you can look them up for yourself. Post 112, right?)
Your word? I don't trust your word.
Sometimes I have given personal testimony in bearing witness to Christ, but I have never asked anyone to just take me at my word. Take the matter (any and all matters) to Christ, to know the truth from THE TRUTH: Christ Jaheshua. I am a witness to Christ. One should listen to HIM.

tammy

oldbadger
Guru

Post #136

Post by oldbadger »

tam wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:26 pm Peace to you,

Yes... (keep reading)...
Could a Christian 'become' just through reading about Jesus and deciding that he was/is a Christian?
Continuing with your deserted island example... You may love Christ and follow/obey Him out of love (thereby being His disciple). Yes, this could happen on a deserted island. However, and this might come off as a technical point (though still true): we do not just decide that we are Christian. Christ is the One who decides that, by baptizing/anointing us with holy spirit <-that is what makes a person a Christian (meaning, an anointed one... anointed/baptized with holy spirit).

But yes, all of this could happen on a deserted island.

I was not part of a religion or a group when I received holy spirit from my dear Lord (from Christ). At the time, I didn't even understand what holy spirit was! I can describe the experience (a warm breeze and utter utter peace washing over me), but I did not know what that meant until some time later when my Lord reminded me of that experience, that this had been my anointing. There was MUCH I did not understand at the start, MUCH I had to learn (and more for me to learn still). The only thing I knew (and even this my Lord taught me) was that I am to listen to and follow Him, that He is the Truth (and the One to whom God drew me and the One to whom God wanted me to listen). That I am not to worry about what anyone else is teaching. I am to remain in Christ. He would teach me the rest, anything I needed to know, and lead me into all truth.

Christ was then and is now, my Teacher, Leader, Master, Lord. My Father in heaven is the One who drew me to His Son (as Christ said, 'no one comes to me unless the Father draws them'.) I had been seeking to know what was true, and I prayed to be led wherever He (God) wanted me to be. He led me to His Son.

It is absolutely not necessary to join any sect or denomination in any religion. More than that, none of these sects/denominations/religions are from Him. He did not come and start a brand new institutionalized religion. He did not come and set up an institution that would do things the same way as before, and as every other religion does. No, He said that the time was coming (and was then here) that the true worshipers would worship in spirit and in truth. But no religion is the truth (and though all of them speak some truth - how else to mislead those people who are SEEKING truth - all religions also speak and teach lies). Worshiping in spirit and in truth will mean worshiping in/through Christ. Not in/through a religion.

There is no true religion. There is only the One who is the Truth: Christ Jah'eshua (meaning JAH saves/savior of JAH). He speaks only truth (that is the language that He speaks), and He is the ONLY one who can lead His sheep into all truth.

"This is my Son, whom I love. Listen to Him." (Mark 9:7, if anyone needs to see it)

May anyone who wishes them be given ears to hear to hear as the Spirit (Christ) and the Bride say to you, "Come!" May anyone who thirsts and anyone who wishes, "Come! Take the free gift of the water of Life!"

(which water is holy spirit - the breath/blood/seed of JAH - that is poured out from Christ, given to Him without end from His Father)

tammy
Thank you for your post
And you are a Christian. On the side, I've got to be so careful with my mobile auto correcter.... It just decided to change the above to ' and you ate a Christian'...!!!

Must go now....will answer later. :)

tam
Savant

Post #137

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
[Replying to oldbadger in post #136]

Thank you for your post
And you are a Christian. On the side, I've got to be so careful with my mobile auto correcter.... It just decided to change the above to ' and you ate a Christian'...!!!
Lol. Thanks for the chuckle.

Though I do eat and drink of Christ (John 6: 27, 50-58, Matt 26:27-28), as He has said.

Peace to you,
tammy

oldbadger
Guru

Post #138

Post by oldbadger »

tam wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:35 pm Peace to you,
[Replying to oldbadger in post #136]

Thank you for your post
Lol. Thanks for the chuckle.

Though I do eat and drink of Christ (John 6: 27, 50-58, Matt 26:27-28), as He has said.

Peace to you,
tammy
And so you are a Christian, in the single sense, and I'm guessing in an isolated sense from what you say.

Do you ever go to any church services? Surely, if you are a Christian with the freedom of not being mixed up with religion then you could, if you wanted to, go in to any place, join any congregation.... if it suited?

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #139

Post by 2timothy316 »

tam wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:57 pm Peace to you,
2timothy316 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:08 am

Peace again to you.
Backup with what?
Sometimes (I think most often) with what Christ has said, often also with what is written. Often also with love, reason. (I have since added in the biblical references to the post you took issue with, so you can look them up for yourself. Post 112, right?)
Your word? I don't trust your word.
Sometimes I have given personal testimony in bearing witness to Christ, but I have never asked anyone to just take me at my word. Take the matter (any and all matters) to Christ, to know the truth from THE TRUTH: Christ Jaheshua. I am a witness to Christ. One should listen to HIM.

tammy
You cherry pick the Bible to fit your dogma and I have no reason trust your 'witness of Christ' since most time it is contrary to the very Bible you quote only to fit your needs. As far as dogma on this site, the one you teach might be most dangerous one on this forum. As I don't think you want people to listen to Christ as much as you want them to listen to you.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #140

Post by onewithhim »

oldbadger wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:14 pm
onewithhim wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:22 am
A proper Christian is one who listens to Jesus' teachings and follows them, which 99% of the world's self-proclaimed Christians do not.
Thank you for your post, onewithhim.
Now I think that is very interesting because you have told that a proper Christian listens, and so .........hears what Jesus teaches..... Yes?

Does this mean that a Christian can follow Jesus's guidance without anything, not church, priests or Bible?
Jesus left us a pattern to follow. (I Peter 2:21). He regularly met with congregations in synagogues and wherever there were his followers getting together. (Luke 4:16). He saw fit to have in the Scriptural canon what Philip and the Ethiopian said at Acts 8:27-31. Philip said, "Do you actually know what you are reading?" The Ethiopian said, "Really, how could I ever do so unless someone guided me?" It is understood that we need instruction from those who have been familiar with the Scriptures for longer than we have, and have had time to absorb Bible truths along with God's spirit. Jesus also said that God's Word was truth (John 17:17), and he himself knew the Scriptures intimately. Therefore the Bible is necessary to knowing God and Christ and what the Most High expects of us. (John 17:3)