Who is a Christian?? !!

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

oldbadger
Guru

Who is a Christian?? !!

Post #1

Post by oldbadger »

Before Covid I used to cycle around my local area and would visit chapels and churches which held tea'n'chat meetings. On one occasion I passed a Christian hall and saw a poster which read something like 'soup and chat', and I walked inside just as the event was commencing. A long table was set and many mid-aged and elderly folks sat around; I was guided to a place.

A very stern lady across the table fixed me in her gaze and an interrogation began:-
Who are you?
Hello I'm oldbadger.
Why have you come here?
I wanted to meet you, and the soup is interesting.
How did you know about this meeting?
I saw a big poster outside.
Do you walk in to any place because of posters?
Yes..... I often do.
Where else have you just walked in to?
Oh, lots of places. The Methodist church holds tea/biscuit meets on Saturday mornings.
She grunted what sounded like disapproval. I mentioned a few other meetings and then the room erupted.
I said....
Oh, and the Christian Spiritualists in T--------- offering healing and tea on Mondays at 1.30pm.

This stern lady exploded.
They are not Christians! They worship the Devil! All these evil people who pretend to be Christians...... Jesus warned us about you all! And that disgusting Halloween...... ............ well this carried on for minutes until she could be calmed down.

This has happened many times....... I once mentioned that we have JW Christian friends and we are pleased to let them park on our driveway when visiting homes in the area, and several Christians immediately pointed out that JWs are different, or not proper Christians......

There are many many differing churches and creeds, and so I wonder....... who is a proper Christian?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Who is a Christian?? !!

Post #111

Post by JehovahsWitness »

oldbadger wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:14 pm

Does this mean that a Christian can follow Jesus's guidance without anything, not church, priests or Bible?
Is that what Jesus said?

For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them.” - JESUS CHRIST
MATTHEW 18: 16, 17

.... take one or two others along, so that ‘every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.’ 17 If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church. And if he refuses to listen even to the church, regard him as you would a pagan or a tax collector.

MATTHEW 16:18 - Berean Study Bible

And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades will not prevail against it.

RELATED POSTS
Did Jesus intend to start a "new religion"?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 45#p792645

Is Christianity a religion?
viewtopic.php?p=1079731#p1079731

Can the first century church be rightly described as "an organised religion"?
viewtopic.php?p=1062104#p1062104
To read more please go to other posts related to POSTS RELATED to ...

RELIGION, CHRISTIANITY and ...JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

tam
Savant

Post #112

Post by tam »

Peace to you,

** Please note that I edited in some supporting verses in case anyone didn't know them and/or needed to see them.
2timothy316 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:22 pm
oldbadger wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:14 pm
onewithhim wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:22 am
A proper Christian is one who listens to Jesus' teachings and follows them, which 99% of the world's self-proclaimed Christians do not.
Thank you for your post, onewithhim.
Now I think that is very interesting because you have told that a proper Christian listens, and so .........hears what Jesus teaches..... Yes?

Does this mean that a Christian can follow Jesus's guidance without anything, not church, priests or Bible?
Good question.
It is a good question.
So if we are to be following Jesus example,

We are supposed to be following HIM. Christ (Jaheshua). Listening to Him, remaining in His word, obeying His commands. Yes, that includes His example, but some people tend to forget that we are to be following Christ Himself. (John 10:27, Mark 9:7, Matt 23: 8, John 8:31, John 14:21, 23, John 13:13)
what did he do? Was Jesus part of a church or did he go it alone?

The Church is His Body. He is the HEAD of the Church. Hence, we - if we wish to be His disciples, and certainly if we are His Body, His Church, His Bride - are to listen to HIM. Our Head, Lord, Master, King. (supporting verses are supplied in the next post)

He was never alone, not even when His disciples left Him, because His Father was with Him. (John 16:32... though re-reading what I wrote, there may have been a moment after Christ said the words at John 16:32, where He at least felt alone, on the cross, so that He would also be able to experience/understand even that, even though He remained faithful to God all the while.)

It is the same for us - or at least for me (and not just me of course). I am never alone because Christ is with me, and if Christ is with me, then so is His Father. (John 14:23)

That doesn't mean I don't have brothers and sisters in Christ. It just means that Christ is the One I am supposed to follow, obey, listen to.

No Bible, no priests and no church.
If Christ has listened to the priests and the Pharisees and the Teachers of the law, He would not have been able to obey His Father.. and He is HIMSELF the High Priest (John 4:14, 15). The mediator between man and God (1Timothy 2:5).

It is not:

Man -> priests/elders/governing bodies/religion -> Christ -> God.

It is:

Man <-> Christ <-> God

Peace again to you all,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy
Last edited by tam on Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Non-religious Christian spirituality

- For Christ (who is the Spirit)

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #113

tam wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:59 pm
Man <-> Christ <-> God

Where is the church in your diagram? and what is his church ? Definition?

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

tam
Savant

Post #114

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:06 pm
tam wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:59 pm
Man <-> Christ <-> God

Where is the church in your diagram? and what is his church ? Definition?
The Church is the Body of Christ, of which Christ is the Head.

The Church is the PEOPLE in Christ, with Christ as their Head.

And God put everything under His feet and made Him head over everything for the church, which is His body, the fullness of Him who fills all in all. Ephesians 1:22, 23

Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it. 1 Corinthians 12:27

The Church as the Bride is described at Ephesians 5:22-32.

The Church = the Body = the Bride.

Peace again to you, and to you all,
tammy

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #115

Post by 2timothy316 »

[Replying to tam in post #112]

Not a single thing to back you up. Its all your words Tam...as usual. You're no part of an organization. You made it quite clear you're not part of any 'body'.
Last edited by 2timothy316 on Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #116

Post by 2timothy316 »

[Replying to tam in post #114]

You only quote the Bible when it suites you. When it doesn't, you reject it. Why do you get to pick what scriptures are good and which ones are bad?

tam
Savant

Post #117

Post by tam »

2timothy316 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:48 pm [Replying to tam in post #112]

Not a single thing to back you up. Its all your words Tam...as usual. You're no part of an organization.
I always back up what I share, timothy. You can make whatever accusation you want to make, but the people reading will be able to see otherwise.

Peace again to you.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #118

tam wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:36 pm
Man <-> Christ <-> God
The Church = the Body = the Bride
"Body and "bride" are both metaphors... can you say in a simple sentence what those terms refer to?

So put it in the diagram please. Where does THE CHURCH fit in below?
Man <-> Christ <-> God

tam
Savant

Post #119

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:12 pm
tam wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:36 pm
Man <-> Christ <-> God
The Church = the Body = the Bride
"Body and "bride" are both metaphors... can you say in a simple sentence what those terms refer to?
I did that. The people who are in Christ.
So put it in the diagram please. Where does THE CHURCH fit in below?
Man <-> Christ <-> God

I don't know how to put a diagram on here.

The Church would be those people who are in Christ... so those in the 'man' category who are in Christ... with Christ as their Head, the Head of His Church.

It is very simple.

Religion just muddies the waters.

This is one very good reason that a person should drink water straight from the SOURCE: Christ Jaheshua.

Peace again to you,
tammy

oldbadger
Guru

Post #120

Post by oldbadger »

2timothy316 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:22 pm Good question.

So if we are to be following Jesus example, what did he do? Was Jesus part of a church or did he go it alone? No Bible, no priests and no church.
Ah.....now...... From my studies it seems clear to me that Jesus was almost totally alone, but for some very brave women who watched from afar. He certainly didn't trust any priesthood (was outraged by the corruption and hypocrisy) and all his mates had scarpered about 20 hours before. So there was no church (no gathering), certainly no priesthood and the story had not been written down just then. Jesus had supported the old Laws of Moses, I think, especially the poor laws.