Materialism is an inherent sin. Yes or No?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Back2theroots35

Materialism is an inherent sin. Yes or No?

Post #1

Post by Back2theroots35 »

Materialism is defined as “the preoccupation with material things rather than intellectual or spiritual things.” If a Christian is preoccupied with material things, it is definitely wrong. That is not to say we cannot have material things, but the obsession with acquiring and caring for “stuff” is a dangerous thing for the Christian, for two reasons.

First, any preoccupation, obsession or fascination with anything other than God is sinful and is displeasing to God. We are to “love the Lord, your God, with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your might” (Deuteronomy 6:5), which is, according to Jesus, the first and greatest commandment (Matthew 22:37-38). Therefore, God is the only thing we can (and should) occupy ourselves with habitually. He alone is worthy of our complete attention, love and service. To offer these things to anything, or anyone, else is idolatry.

Second, when we concern ourselves with the material world, we are easily drawn in by the “deceitfulness of wealth” (Mark 4:19), thinking that we will be happy or fulfilled or content if only we had more of whatever it is we are chasing. This is a lie from the father of lies, Satan. He wants us to be chasing after something he knows will never satisfy us so we will be kept from pursuing that which is the only thing that can satisfy—God Himself.

Miles
Savant

Re: Materialism is an inherent sin. Yes or No?

Post #2

Post by Miles »

Back2theroots35 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:02 am Materialism is defined as “the preoccupation with material things rather than intellectual or spiritual things.”
Well that's one definition. Others include

: a theory that physical matter is the only or fundamental reality and that all being and processes and phenomena can be explained as manifestations or results of matter

: a doctrine that the only or the highest values or objectives lie in material well-being and in the furtherance of material progress

: a doctrine that economic or social change is materially caused — compare historical materialism

If a Christian is preoccupied with material things, it is definitely wrong.
As is playing with one's food at a State Dinner. Point being, what you may think is "wrong" isn't all that meaningful.

That is not to say we cannot have material things, but the obsession with acquiring and caring for “stuff” is a dangerous thing for the Christian, for two reasons.

First, any preoccupation, obsession or fascination with anything other than God is sinful and is displeasing to God.
Hmm. As I understand sin, it's

: an offense against religious or moral law
: transgression of the law of God

So we're going to need an actual Biblical reading of such a law regarding this sin. Chapter and verse please.

We are to “love the Lord, your God, with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your might” (Deuteronomy 6:5),
Deuteronomy 6:5 (KJV)
And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.[/quote]

"We are to" and "thou shalt" certainly don't sound like an pronouncement of law to me. More like a simple directive, if anything.

which is, according to Jesus, the first and greatest commandment (Matthew 22:37-38).
Actually, the first commandment is: "You shall have no other gods before me." And none of the other commandments say anything like "thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might."

Therefore, God is the only thing we can (and should) occupy ourselves with habitually. He alone is worthy of our complete attention, love and service. To offer these things to anything, or anyone, else is idolatry.
To devote one's "complete attention, love and service" to anything a person would have to completely divorce oneself from all worldly concerns. Think this is what god wants everyone to do? I ask because very often he tells people how to live apart from any "complete attention, love and service" to himself. Things like "honoring one's father and your mother," and "buying male and female slaves from among the nations that are around you," and killing males who lie with a male as with a woman."

Second, when we concern ourselves with the material world, we are easily drawn in by the “deceitfulness of wealth” (Mark 4:19), thinking that we will be happy or fulfilled or content if only we had more of whatever it is we are chasing.
And what of us who aren't "drawn in by the 'deceitfulness of wealth'”? Do we earn a bye on your second point here?

This is a lie from the father of lies, Satan. He wants us to be chasing after something he knows will never satisfy us so we will be kept from pursuing that which is the only thing that can satisfy—God Himself.
Not unlike the father of all evil—God Himself.

Isaiah 45:7 (KJV)
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.

Nice guy :roll: This god of yours.

Savant

Re: Materialism is an inherent sin. Yes or No?

Post #3

Post by 1213 »

Back2theroots35 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:02 am Materialism is an inherent sin. Yes or No?
I have understood that sin is to reject God, or to be without God. If one rejects God because of material, it has become sin for the person.