Moderator: Moderators

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Do animals have spirit?

Post #1

Post by Inquirer »

I have two Italian Greyhounds, here's a picture of them:

Are these animals just lumps of matter or is there something more to them? Is it only people that are not lumps of matter?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Do animals have spirit?

Post #2

Post by JehovahsWitness »

According to the bible, all living things are alive because they have the force for life which comes from God (see Psalms 36:9). All living breathing creatures have the breath of life (Gods active force) in them and are thus different from inanimate objects. More than that, animals (albeit instinctively) display various qualities such as a natural sense of loyalty , courage, power, a strong tendence to protect their young, even sense of playfulness and a natural curiosity, that reflect their Creator.

Biblically, animals are one of life's blessings and a endless source of beauty and wonder; they far from mere clumps of flesh and blood they are a a gift from God,.

JW

RELATED POSTS
Where do animals go when they die?
viewtopic.php?p=347553#p347553

Will there be pets in heaven?
viewtopic.php?p=1027090#p1027090
To learn more please go to other posts related to...

.THE PURPOSE OF LIFE, ANIMALS and ... THE EARTHLY PARSDISE
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Miles
Savant

Post #3

Post by Miles »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:53 pm According to the bible, all living things are alive because they have the force for life which comes from God (see Psalms 36:9).
Should we assume this includes trees. weeds, and mushrooms?

All living breathing creatures have the breath of life (Gods active force) in them and are thus different from inanimate objects.
So what of those creatures that don't breath oxygen---don't require oxygen? No breath of life for them?

More than that, animals (albeit instinctively) display various qualities such as a natural sense of loyalty , courage, power, a strong tendence to protect their young, even sense of playfulness and a natural curiosity, that reflect their Creator.
Even sponges, coral, and jellyfish?

Biblically, animals are one of life's blessings and a endless source of beauty and wonder; they far from mere clumps of flesh and blood they are a a gift from God,.
I assume there's supporting scripture for this. Care to share?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #4

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Miles wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:43 pm
JAMES 1:17

Every good gift and every perfect present is from above, coming down from the Father of the celestial lights ...
GENESIS 1: 27, 28

God said to them [Adam and Eve]: “Be fruitful and become many, fill the earth and subdue it, and have in subjection the fish of the sea and the flying creatures of the heavens and every living creature that is moving on the earth.”
PSALMS 8:6 - Good News Translation

You appointed them rulers over everything you made; you placed them over all creation

RELATED POSTS
Did God purpose for animals to be dangerous?
viewtopic.php?p=1029607#p1029607

Was every animal in existence present in the garden of Eden?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 48#p377748

Why are snakes described as cautious ?
viewtopic.php?p=1041182#p1041182

Was ADAM responsible for keeping SNAKES out of the garden?
viewtopic.php?p=1029136#p1029136

Does the bible teach snakes used to have legs?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 27#p836127

Was there a talking snake in Eden?
viewtopic.php?p=376293#p376293

Why did some animals become "wild"?
viewtopic.php?p=1029636#p1029636

Did God send bears to kill children?
viewtopic.php?p=830572#p830572

Why did animals have to suffer during the flood of Noahs day?
viewtopic.php?p=1027924#p1027924

Did Noah put all the animals to sleep in the ark?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 25#p995625

How MANY animals would Noah have had on the ark?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 05#p984905

Interesting fact about DOVES
viewtopic.php?p=985382#p985382

Ten interesting facts about nightjars
viewtopic.php?p=1038507#p1038507

Was Jesus kind to animals?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 55#p992555

Would Jesus have had a donkey [interesting facts]
viewtopic.php?p=1026563#p1026563

Did Jesus once try and ride two donkeys at the same time?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 04#p867704

Was Jesus insullting his followers by comparing them to sheep?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 16#p991216

Does the bible teach God will burn up all the animals ?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 90#p964790

Where do animals go when they die?
viewtopic.php?p=347553#p347553

Will there be pets in heaven?
viewtopic.php?p=1027090#p1027090

To learn more please go to other posts related to...

.THE PURPOSE OF LIFE, ANIMALS and ... THE EARTHLY PARSDISE
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by Inquirer »

I agree, and specifically there is scripture stating that animals do have spirit:
Ecc 3:21 wrote:Who knows if the human spirit rises upward and if the spirit of the animal goes down into the earth?
This is clearly revealing that animals have a spirit, mysterious and profound though that idea is to us.

Miles
Savant

Post #6

Post by Miles »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:12 pm
Miles wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:43 pm
GENESIS 1: 27, 28

God said to them [Adam and Eve]: “Be fruitful and become many, fill the earth and subdue it, and have in subjection the fish of the sea and the flying creatures of the heavens and every living creature that is moving on the earth.
Just to note, Genesis 1: 27, 28 says nothing about animals being one of life's blessings and a endless source of beauty and wonder. Nor are they said to be far from mere clumps of flesh and blood, but are a a gift from God,.

More to the point regarding man and animals, Genesis 1:28 says

"Further, God blessed [A&E], and God said to them: “Be fruitful and become many, fill the earth+ and subdue it,+ and have in subjection+ the fish of the sea and the flying creatures of the heavens and every living creature that is moving on the earth.”

Think that subjugating animals amounts to one of life's blessings, and is an endless source of beauty and wonder? Maybe you do, although I believe most people, including other Christians, would not.

”PSALMS 8:6 - Good News Translation

You appointed them rulers over everything you made; you placed them over all creation
Again, do you think that subjugating all the animals amounts to one of life's blessings, and is an endless source of beauty and wonder?

JAMES 1:17

Every good gift and every perfect present is from above, coming down from the Father of the celestial lights ...
As does evil

Isaiah 45:7
KJV
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #7

Post by 2timothy316 »

Define spirit.

Miles
Savant

Post #8

Post by Miles »

Inquirer wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:53 pm I agree, and specifically there is scripture stating that animals do have spirit:
Ecc 3:21 wrote:Who knows if the human spirit rises upward and if the spirit of the animal goes down into the earth?
This is clearly revealing that animals have a spirit, mysterious and profound though that idea is to us.
So, what is this religious "spirit" Christians talk about? How about a good definition and cogent evidence of its existence.

theophile
Guru

Post #9

Post by theophile »

Miles wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:34 pm
Inquirer wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:53 pm I agree, and specifically there is scripture stating that animals do have spirit:
So, what is this religious "spirit" Christians talk about? How about a good definition and cogent evidence of its existence.

I think you can get a thousand answers and rightly so given the many aspects. But look, the original reference (let's start from there) is Genesis 1:2 when the ruach Elohim (/spirit of God) is hovering over the waters. It's essentially a wind / breath. Hence earlier posts that define it as the breath of life. (Not just for humans and animals but plants and other lifeforms too, all of which have a rhythm, or give and take, that breathing represents.)

If you want my personal opinion, it's helpful to think of spirit as, say, the spirit of an age. As a movement (like Me Too). As something that can sweep by us, like a wind, and in the process sweep us up. It's something we can get caught up and participate in. That we can give our power to. With a certain value or affirmation at its core. (Just like Me Too which affirms everyone's right not to be harassed or worse by those with power.)

Further, I would argue the Spirit (of God) is that which affirms life in all its forms. To be in the Spirit is to focus all one's efforts to that end.

Kylie
Apprentice

Post #10

Post by Kylie »

Inquirer wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:06 am I have two Italian Greyhounds, here's a picture of them:

Are these animals just lumps of matter or is there something more to them? Is it only people that are not lumps of matter?
They are very cute doggies.

If we are to discuss whether they have souls or not, we must first establish what "soul" means.