Attributes of forgiveness

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

arunangelo
Apprentice

Attributes of forgiveness

Post #1

Post by arunangelo »

Here are some of the attributes of forgiveness that I was able to find.
1) To forgive is to compensate for the offenses of those who offend us by sacrificing our own life in order to bring healing and redemption to those who offend us.
2) Forgiveness has no limit.
3) If we do not forgive as Jesus did, we do not have love in our heart.
4) We accept God’s forgiveness by making forgiveness our way of life. Therefore, if we do not forgive others as God does, we reject His forgiveness.
5) Forgiveness is sacrifice and love.
Are there any more?

bernee51
Site Supporter

Re: Attributes of forgiveness

Post #2

Post by bernee51 »

arunangelo wrote:Here are some of the attributes of forgiveness that I was able to find.
1) To forgive is to compensate for the offenses of those who offend us by sacrificing our own life in order to bring healing and redemption to those who offend us.
4) We accept God’s forgiveness by making forgiveness our way of life. Therefore, if we do not forgive others as God does, we reject His forgiveness.
Are there any more?
Forgiveness is only necessary if offence has been taken. Offence can only be taken by those offended. If I refuse to, or are unable to, take offence I do not need to offer forgiveness.

If god did not take offence at man's actions then his forgiveness would not be necessary.

God is inadequate in that he takes offence at the actions of a supposed lesser being.
"Whatever you are totally ignorant of, assert to be the explanation of everything else"

William James quoting Dr. Hodgson

"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two."

Nisargadatta Maharaj

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Confused »

arunangelo wrote:Here are some of the attributes of forgiveness that I was able to find.
Are there any more?
Your attributes are only relevant if the offense is seen as an offense by the person offended. what I may see as normal and appropriate, you may take as an offense. Do I owe you forgiveness for offending you. Likewise, you may do something I find offensive, but you don't. Do you owe me forgiveness for something you don't find offensive?

Forgiveness is forgetting. As long as you are constantly remember the offense, you have not truly forgiven. For me, it is easier to forget than to forgive.

You place these attributes of forgiveness in a very narrow focus. One in which we are compared with Christ. You can't. Do you have children. If a sex offended took your son or daughter, tortured her/him, raped him/her, and then murdered her/him in the most heinous of fashion, could you forgive that offender. Christ wasn't man, therefore, he didn't have the challenges man has. It is easier to forgive something broad, less easy for something narrow.
What we do for ourselves dies with us,
What we do for others and the world remains
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no one persons definition of your life; define yourself.

-Harvey Fierstein

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Cathar1950 »

Do I forgive a fly when I swat it?
When I knock over my plant to I forgive it?
Do I forgive my plant when I forget to water it and it dies?
Do I forgive my kids when they are late or if I am late?

Of course.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by McCulloch »

arunangelo wrote:1) To forgive is to compensate for the offenses of those who offend us by sacrificing our own life in order to bring healing and redemption to those who offend us.
Wrong. To forgive is to pardon someone who has offended us. This pardon may or may not involve a price.
arunangelo wrote:2) Forgiveness has no limit.
Forgiveness can be limited in time or in scope.
arunangelo wrote:3) If we do not forgive as Jesus did, we do not have love in our heart.
We have blood in our hearts. I don't believe that Jesus is the only or even the best example of forgiveness.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

methylatedghosts
Sage

Post #6

Post by methylatedghosts »

Confused wrote:Forgiveness is forgetting. As long as you are constantly remember the offense, you have not truly forgiven. For me, it is easier to forget than to forgive.
Hmm, I don't think forgiveness is forgetting. If you remember the event or cause for the offence, but are no longer offended or hurt by it, that then you have truly forgiven. I don't think simply forgetting about it is necessarily a good thing.
Ye are Gods