Is the holy spirit a living being?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

kjw47
Under Probation

Is the holy spirit a living being?

Post #1

Post by kjw47 »

Is the holy spirit a living being with equality to the Father and son? Lets look at bible facts.

1) The Father has a name-YHWH(Jehovah) the son has a name Jesus-Holy spirit-0
2) The Father seen on a throne, the son seen on a throne-Holy spirit-0
3)The Father shares certain things with the son-Holy spirit-0
4)Many very important passages in NT where only the Father and son are spoken of-holy spirit-2
The most important one being John 17:3--This means eternal life, their knowing you( Father) THE ONLY TRUE GOD and the one whom you sent forth Christ Jesus. Holy spirit-0

No is the answer i see. How about you?

The new Catholic encyclopedia 1967 Vol XIII Page 575-- The majority of NT texts reveal Gods spirit as something not someone.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Re: Is the holy spirit a living being?

Post #41

Post by 2timothy316 »

PolytheistWitch wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:56 pm [Replying to 2timothy316 in post #39]

I typed what was quoted and I told you to point out to me where I said the Holy Spirit was a person. Obviously you've realized I didn't say it and you don't want to just come out and apologize.
Um I have no idea what you are talking about. What post did I say that you said the Holy Spirit was a person. The only post I have replied to you was this post, where I'm agreeing with you. viewtopic.php?p=1107513#p1107513

onewithhim
Savant

Post #42

Post by onewithhim »

1213 wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 4:47 am
kjw47 wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:21 pm Is the holy spirit a living being with equality to the Father and son? Lets look at bible facts.

4)Many very important passages in NT where only the Father and son are spoken of-holy spirit-2
The most important one being John 17:3--This means eternal life, their knowing you( Father) THE ONLY TRUE GOD and the one whom you sent forth Christ Jesus. Holy spirit-0

By that standard I am not a living being?

I believe what the Bible tells, Holy Spirit is the spirit of truth, that guides person to truth.

However when he, the Spirit of truth, has come, he will guide you into all truth, for he will not speak from himself; but whatever he hears, he will speak. He will declare to you things that are coming.
John 16:13
Because "he" is used there does not mean that the HS is a Person. Many languages attach a gender to things. In German, for instance, a table is female, a door is male, a tree is male, etc., etc. The HS is merely God's active force by which Jehovah accomplishes what He sets out to do. I would associate it with His POWER. It comes from Jehovah, it is not a separate Being. It's like electricity that comes from a power station and lights up your house. The electricity is not a person.

MissKate13
Sage

Post #43

Post by MissKate13 »

onewithhim wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:18 am
kjw47 wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:21 pm Is the holy spirit a living being with equality to the Father and son? Lets look at bible facts.

I believe what the Bible tells, Holy Spirit is the spirit of truth, that guides person to truth.

However when he, the Spirit of truth, has come, he will guide you into all truth, for he will not speak from himself; but whatever he hears, he will speak. He will declare to you things that are coming.
Because "he" is used there does not mean that the HS is a Person. Many languages attach a gender to things. In German, for instance, a table is female, a door is male, a tree is male, etc., etc. The HS is merely God's active force by which Jehovah accomplishes what He sets out to do. I would associate it with His POWER. It comes from Jehovah, it is not a separate Being. It's like electricity that comes from a power station and lights up your house. The electricity is not a person.
The Holy Spirit is not a mere force or power like electricity or magnetism. He does not refer to himself as an active force.

In fact, the Holy Spirit, being the true author of Scripture, speaks of himself as having attributes only a person could have. He has intelligence. He instructs, speaks, teaches, convicts, guides, intercedes, and has a mind (Rom. 8:27). He has feelings. He loves and he grieves. He is resisted, blasphemed and insulted.

Since the Holy Spirit is the author of Scripture, we should consider him as he portrays himself, not as an active force, but as a Spirit with the attributes as a person.
”For unless you believe that I am, you will die in your sins.” (John 8:24

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #44

Post by 2timothy316 »

MissKate13 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:04 am
onewithhim wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:18 am

The Holy Spirit is not a mere force or power like electricity or magnetism. He does not refer to himself as an active force.

In fact, the Holy Spirit, being the true author of Scripture, speaks of himself as having attributes only a person could have. He has intelligence. He instructs, speaks, teaches, convicts, guides, intercedes, and has a mind (Rom. 8:27). He has feelings. He loves and he grieves. He is resisted, blasphemed and insulted.

Since the Holy Spirit is the author of Scripture, we should consider him as he portrays himself, not as an active force, but as a Spirit with the attributes as a person.
Personification doesn't prove personality.
In Proverb 1:20-33, 8:1-36 and Matthew 11:19 wisdom is said to be shouting, working and having children. Yet no one believes there is a person named wisdom. So what you say above is not proof that Holy Spirit is a person.

MissKate13
Sage

Post #45

Post by MissKate13 »

[[url=./viewtopic.php?p=1108138#p1108138]Replying to 2timothy316 in post

The Holy Spirit is the one who chose to portray himself as a person just as he chose to portray wisdom as a woman. He doesn’t picture himself as an impersonal active force.

So why did the Holy Spirit choose to portray himself with the characteristics of a person? I don’t know, but perhaps it was to better communicate with us. Of course, that would be my opinion.
”For unless you believe that I am, you will die in your sins.” (John 8:24

Runner
Banned
Banned

Post #46

Post by Runner »

The new Catholic encyclopedia 1967 Vol XIII Page 575-- The majority of NT texts reveal Gods spirit as something not someone.
Yes, the Holy Spirit is God.

God is a Spirit.
John 4:24

And Christ is that God and that Spirit.
John 14:21-23
Romans 8:9-11

kjw47
Under Probation

Post #47

Post by kjw47 »

Runner wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:41 pm

Yes, the Holy Spirit is God.

God is a Spirit.
John 4:24

And Christ is that God and that Spirit.
John 14:21-23
Romans 8:9-11

Paul only names the Father as God-1Cor 8:6- There is only one God--Paul teaches the Father is Jesus' God-Coll 1:3, 1 Cor 15:24-28, Eph 1:13,17 as does Peter 1 Peter 1:3-- his real teachers then and now teach that fact. Jesus teaches the Father is his God-John 20:17, Rev 3:12--3 bible witnesses. Your teachers say the father, son and holy spirit are God contradicting Jesus and Gods inspired bible writers.

Runner
Banned
Banned

Post #48

Post by Runner »

kjw47 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:29 pmPaul only names the Father as God-1Cor 8:6- There is only one God--Paul teaches the Father is Jesus' God-Coll 1:3, 1 Cor 15:24-28, Eph 1:13,17 as does Peter 1 Peter 1:3-- his real teachers then and now teach that fact. Jesus teaches the Father is his God-John 20:17, Rev 3:12--3 bible witnesses. Your teachers say the father, son and holy spirit are God contradicting Jesus and Gods inspired bible writers.
Uh, no.

Those aren't my teachers.

My teacher is the Holy Spirit. 1 John 2:27

Paul teaches in Romans 8:9-11 that Christ is the Holy Spirit AND that God is the Holy Spirit. They are ONE and the same.

Jesus teaches in John 14:21-23 that HE is the Holy Spirit AND that the Father is as well.

The Father teaches in Isaiah 43:11 that HE is Christ - the only Savior.

Jude 25 teaches that God is the only Savior.

Paul teaches in Titus 3:4 that God is the Savior.

Paul teaches in 2 Peter 1:1 that Christ is our God and Savior.

Paul teaches in 1 Tim. 1:1 that God, our Savior, IS the Lord Jesus Christ.

Your difference is with God's Word. Not with me.

kjw47
Under Probation

Post #49

Post by kjw47 »

Runner wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:05 pm
kjw47 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:29 pmPaul only names the Father as God-1Cor 8:6- There is only one God--Paul teaches the Father is Jesus' God-Coll 1:3, 1 Cor 15:24-28, Eph 1:13,17 as does Peter 1 Peter 1:3-- his real teachers then and now teach that fact. Jesus teaches the Father is his God-John 20:17, Rev 3:12--3 bible witnesses. Your teachers say the father, son and holy spirit are God contradicting Jesus and Gods inspired bible writers.
Uh, no.

Those aren't my teachers.

My teacher is the Holy Spirit. 1 John 2:27

Paul teaches in Romans 8:9-11 that Christ is the Holy Spirit AND that God is the Holy Spirit. They are ONE and the same.

Jesus teaches in John 14:21-23 that HE is the Holy Spirit AND that the Father is as well.

The Father teaches in Isaiah 43:11 that HE is Christ - the only Savior.

Jude 25 teaches that God is the only Savior.

Paul teaches in Titus 3:4 that God is the Savior.

Paul teaches in 2 Peter 1:1 that Christ is our God and Savior.

Paul teaches in 1 Tim. 1:1 that God, our Savior, IS the Lord Jesus Christ.

Your difference is with God's Word. Not with me.

1 Cor 1:10--unity of thought( all of Gods 1 truth) no division. Yet there are 40,000 religions claiming to be christian--1 is. All of them claim to be lead by HS, 1 is.

In Isaiah YHWH was the only savior at that point in time. Jesus didnt become savior as well until he succeeded his earthly course and die a sinless existence to set the ransom for all to try to obtain.
I clearly see how your religions twist things that are not being said--Example-Rev 7:9--the great crowd will stand before the throne--your religions twist this into they are going to heaven. But reality= At that point in time Gods throne will be the only ruling power in existence, so no matter where one stands-earth, moon or heaven they will stand before the throne. And since only the little flock=144,000=the bride of Christ is promised heaven, the great crowd no man can number will be the only other ones saved thus get this promise-Matt 5:5, Psalm 37:29--Prov 2:21-22, Matt24:22

Revelations won
Sage

Post #50

Post by Revelations won »

To all respondents,

I observe many interpretations from the OP and respondents regarding the true natrure of the “Holy Ghost” pertainingto a living being. It appears that all of these interpretations are “private interpretations”, as none claim to be derived by pure revelation from God. The same applies to the identity of God the Father and God the Son.

I think the clear way to receive a correct understanding is gained from scripture.

To gain salvation every accountable person must receive two baptisms. They are baptism of water and of the spirit. (John 3:3-5).

The baptism of the spirit is called the “baptism of fire and of the Holy Ghost.” (Matt. 3:11, Luke 3:16, ) This second baptism by the power of the Holy Ghost-who is the Sanctifier- the dross, iniquity, carnality, sensuality and every evil thing is burned out of the repentant soul as if by fire: the cleansed person becomes literally a new creatures of the Holy Ghost. In other words he is born of the spirit.

God the Father (Eloheim) and God the Son (Jehovah/Jesus Christ) have bodies of flesh and bone. The Holy Ghost is a living being with a spirit body and does not have a body of flesh and bones.

When the true corporeal nature of the Godhead spoken of in the scriptures is fully understood, then confusion and misunderstanding are eliminated.

Kind regards,
RW