Hell - A misunderstood word

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

MissKate13
Sage

Hell - A misunderstood word

Post #1

Post by MissKate13 »

The English word hell appears twenty-three times in the King James Version of the New Testament. “Hell” actually represents three different terms in the Greek New Testament.

The first is “ade.” It is translated hell ten times in the KJV. Many new versions use the word Hades instead of hell. There are several ways Hades is used in the NT. The best way to determine its use is by context. In some places Hades is defined as the abode of departed spirits.

Gehenna (geennan), on the other hand, seems to be a place of torment, one to be avoided. Gehenna originates from two Hebrew words meaning “Valley of Hinnom.” The Valley of Hinnom, in the mind of the Jews, was detestable, disgusting, sickening, entirely unpleasant, and a place to be avoided. That was exactly what Jesus wanted to get across each time he used the term geennan.

Tartarus occurs only one in the New Testament (2 Peter 2:4). Here, it is used of the abode of evil angels prior to their banishment to Gehenna, their ultimate destiny (Mt. 25:41). It denotes that area of Hades in which both rebel men and angels are punished prior to the day of judgment. 2 Peter 2:9 supports this: “the Lord knows how to deliver the godly out of temptation, and to keep the unrighteous under punishment unto the day of judgment”

“Hell” is not the grave. In the New Testament there are three words that refer to the grave. They are taphos, mnema, and mnemeion. Taphos is used seven times and is translated sepulcher six times and tomb once.
Mnema is translated as tomb twice, grave once, and sepulcher four times.
Mnemeion is used five times as tomb, twenty-nine times as sepulcher, and eight times as grave.

Mt 5:22 geennan
Mt 5:29 geennan
Mt 5:30 geennan
Mt 10:28 geenne
Mt 11:23 adou
Mt 16:18 adou
Mt 18:9 geennan
Mt 23:15 geennes
My 23:33 geennes
Mark 9:43 geennan
Mark 9:47 geennan
Mark 9:47 geennan
Luke 10:15 adou
Luke 12:5 geennan
Luke 16:23 ade
Acts 2:27 aden
Acts 2:31 aden
James 3:6 geennes
2 Peter 2:4 tartarōsas
Rev 1:18 adou
Rev 6:8 ades
Rev 20:13 ades
Rev 20:14 ades

Your thoughts?
”For unless you believe that I am, you will die in your sins.” (John 8:24

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Re: Hell - A misunderstood word

Post #21

Post by Checkpoint »

William wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:26 pm [Replying to MissKate13 in post #19]
But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear Him who, after He has killed, has authority to throw you into Gehenna. Yes, I tell you, fear Him.
Who is this entity which has the authority to kill and to throw that which is killed, away?
God, our Creator, without whom nothing but Himself would be.

William
Savant

Post #22

Post by William »

Checkpoint wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:09 pm
But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear Him who, after He has killed, has authority to throw you into Gehenna. Yes, I tell you, fear Him.
Who is this entity which has the authority to kill and to throw that which is killed, away?
YHVH, our Creator, without whom nothing but Himself would be.
So in order for YHVH to kill something, it first must be created to exist.
And anything created to exist, which does not pass the muster, can be uncreated [essentially deleted/"killed"] and that people shouldn't fear that other people can kill them, because death is not the end unless YHVH is the killer.

Agreed?

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #23

Post by Checkpoint »

William wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:36 pm
Checkpoint wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:09 pm
YHVH, our Creator, without whom nothing but Himself would be.
And anything created to exist, which does not pass the muster, can be uncreated [essentially deleted/"killed"] and that people shouldn't fear that other people can kill them, because death is not the end unless YHVH is the killer.

Agreed?
No.

His statement is quite clear as is.

Your attempt to put it as you did, just muddied the waters.

I agree with Peter, who said to Jesus: "Simon Peter answered him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life." John 6:68.

William
Savant

Post #24

Post by William »

[

, our Creator, without whom nothing but Himself would be.

Agreed?
No.

In what way did my telling of it, "muddy the waters"?

Please clarify your statement of opinion so that the misinformation it infers does not misdirect.
I agree with Peter, who said to Jesus: "Simon Peter answered him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life." John 6:68
Yes Jesus is saying personalities should listen to him in order to escape the one who can delete you...the one who can and who will kill.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #25

Post by Checkpoint »

William wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:22 pm [
, our Creator, without whom nothing but Himself would be.

Agreed?
No.

In what way did my telling of it, "muddy the waters"?

Please clarify your statement of opinion so that the misinformation it infers does not misdirect.
Implication of unrighteousness or unfairness in "this entity".
I agree with Peter, who said to Jesus: "Simon Peter answered him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life." John 6:68
Yes Jesus is saying personalities should listen to him in order to escape the one who can delete you...the one who can and who will kill.
Do you have a problem with that?
[/quote]

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #26

Post by 2timothy316 »

MissKate13 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:15 am
Checkpoint wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:33 pm [Replying to MissKate13 in post #16]
Imho, Jesus had to use pictures that we could relate to while making the point that it was a place of unending suffering and torment.

He took geennan so seriously that he could say without the slightest hesitation to remove your eye, or cut off your hand or foot if it would keep you from sinning and ending up in geennan.

Do you think there is no such place? Do you think we just die like Rover, becoming dead all over? Annihilation? Why all the dire warnings from Jesus if that were so?
We all have our opinions and questions about this and that.

I suggest you compare what you wrote about Gehenna(quoted above), with what Jesus actually stated:
4“I tell you, my friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body and after that can do no more.

5 But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear Him who, after He has killed, has authority to throw you into Gehenna. Yes, I tell you, fear Him.
Luke 12: 4-5.

You did not answer my question. Why all the dire warnings from Jesus?

“43 If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life crippled than to have two hands and go into hell, into the unquenchable fire. 45 If your foot causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life lame than to have two feet and be thrown into hell. 47And if your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into hell, 48 where ‘their worm never dies, and the fire is never quenched.’“

Hell in the above passage is geennan.

The passage is from the word of God, not my opinion.
Yet your thinking what he is saying is literal is your opinion. Jesus spoke most of the time in illustration and not literally. “Jesus spoke to the crowds by illustrations. Indeed, without an illustration he would not speak to them.”​—MATTHEW 13:34.

The fact that Jesus spoke in illustration is not an opinion.

Since it is a fact that Jesus spoke in illustration and along with other Bible scriptures as to the condition of the dead there is only one conclusion.

A person thrown into Gehenna is an illustration. The Jews knew what Gehenna was; It was a trash heap where they'd burn trash and even at times the bodies of criminals. Jesus, using that symbolism, was warning that we do not want our life to be thrown into Gehenna where one's life is completely destroyed and can never return because the fire of Jesus' symbolic Gehenna is eternal. A life thrown in there can never return. Unlike those that are in the common grave which will have another chance at life. John 5:28, 29 “Do not be amazed at this,” Jesus said, “for the hour is coming in which all those in the memorial tombs will hear [my] voice and come out.” These in the tombs are not in Gehenna, not in the eternal fire.

William
Savant

Post #27

Post by William »

[Replying to Checkpoint in post #25]
Do you have a problem with that?
No. You seem to, re your comment;
Implication of unrighteousness or unfairness in "this entity".

William
Savant

Post #28

Post by William »

[Replying to 2timothy316 in post #26]

Since it is a fact that Jesus spoke in illustration and Jesus said, “for the hour is coming in which all those in the memorial tombs will hear [my] voice and come out.” , it would be acceptable to think that Jesus wasn't been literal about the dead in the tombs.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #29

Post by 2timothy316 »

William wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:48 pm [Replying to 2timothy316 in post #26]

Since it is a fact that Jesus spoke in illustration and Jesus said, “for the hour is coming in which all those in the memorial tombs will hear [my] voice and come out.” , it would be acceptable to think that Jesus wasn't been literal about the dead in the tombs.
With Jesus there was an illustration and then an explanation of the illustration.
John 6:53-56 compare with Matt. 26:27, 28

Paul repeated Jesus at Acts 24:25. We can then conclude that what Jesus said about those coming back to life is literal. "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who exercises faith in me, even though he dies, will come to life." John 11:25

William
Savant

Post #30

Post by William »

2timothy316 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:01 pm
William wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:48 pm [Replying to 2timothy316 in post #26]

With Jesus there was an illustration and then an explanation of the illustration.
John 6:53-56 compare with Matt. 26:27, 28

Paul repeated Jesus at Acts 24:25. We can then conclude that what Jesus said about those coming back to life is literal. "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who exercises faith in me, even though he dies, will come to life." John 11:25
We can conclude a few things.

The bottom line is, personalities do not die unless YHVH deletes [kills] them.

Agreed?