Ex-christians with theological education

For members of the "Former Christian" usergroup

Moderator: Moderators

Druijf
Student

Ex-christians with theological education

Post #1

Post by Druijf »

I was wondering if there are former christians here who have an academic degree in christian theology, and if so, how do you feel about this? Do you have any regret about your choice of study?

cnorman18

Re: Ex-christians with theological education

Post #2

Post by cnorman18 »

Druijf wrote:I was wondering if there are former christians here who have an academic degree in christian theology, and if so, how do you feel about this? Do you have any regret about your choice of study?
Well, I bailed out of seminary one semester away from the Master of Theology degree and full ordination as Elder, but that semester consisted of Internship and I did serve as Pastor for two rural churches, so I guess that would apply to me. For those who don't know, I am a former Methodist minister who converted to Judaism at the age of 50.

"Regrets? I've got a few, but then again, too few to mention..."

Seriously; no, not really. It was a long road to where I am now, but my seminary education was an essential part of it. I treasure my weird double perspective, of being cognizant and respectful of both Christianity and Judaism. I find I am often educating my Jewish friends (in "real life") about Christianity, just as I educate Gentiles about Judaism here.

The more we know about other beliefs and practices and heritages, the better off we all are, in my opinion. Intolerance isn't hard to find, among Jews, Muslims, Christians AND nontheists, and for my money Step One toward defeating it is respect, followed by Step Two, which is information.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by McCulloch »

For me, not a degree, but two years as a full-time student at an unaccredited literalist Bible college. I did learn a lot of Bible, much of it by rote. I also learned that deep down, the fundamentalist Christian intellectual foundation is very shallow. Still, all in all, those are two years I'll never get back. On the plus side, I met my wife there. We became apostates together, about twenty-six years ago.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Cathar1950 »

I went to an undergraduate Methodist/Holiness college for two years and a year in a neo-orthodox graduate seminary, and although I think a secular study in religion might have been more interesting academically I enjoyed my experience and education. I had good teachers and friends that remain so today.
It never stopped me from reading everything I could in the field of study and lead me to appreciate, anthropology, sociology, psychology and philosophy, but most of all history, evolution and archaeology.
It was worth the time. I might have regrets for certain choices or turns in the road but my religious education was well worth it and in no way regretted. It helped me turn a corner and find more interests.