Family Matters

For members of the "Former Christian" usergroup

Moderator: Moderators

river
Student

Family Matters

Post #1

Post by river »

My mother is an ordained evangelist and my stepfather believes he was called to the ministry . My mother is also a firm believer in divine healing. The fact that she takes to her bed and calls in sick whenever a cold bug passes through does not dampen this belief in the least.

When I was a child I thought my mother was the wises woman in the world. You couldn't put anything over on her. so it pains me to see how gullible she has become, ready to believe anything that supports her beliefs and ignore or explain away anything that doesn't.

Trying to scare me back into the fold she told me about some scientists who had drilled a hole down to Hell and Creflo Dollar played a tape of the souls screaming in agony. I googled for it and found out it was a hoax passed around by Trinity Broadcasting Network twenty years ago. She really believed this without ever asking the obvious question: How can souls make a sound that can be picked up on an acoustics instrument?

Somethings she has said frighten me. When I pointed out the terrible things God did to people in the OT she said Moses had a right to kill those people and God sent him out to show people how much He loved them. After that I thought maybe I shouldn't sleep in her house with both eyes closed.

She blames me for not allowing God to heal my visual and hearing impairments. When I saw her last summer she protested hen I took out my white can telling me that I should try to see and stop telling myself that I can't.

It's insane. I know she is my mother but I don't see any way of ever having a normal relationship with her. Just talking with her leaves me in a daze of cognitive dissonance. Fortunately, we live in different parts of the country so I don't have to deal with her everyday. Otherwise I'd probably be insane myself. .

DiscipleOfTruth
Scholar

Post #2

Post by DiscipleOfTruth »

In a situation like this I used to find it helpful to pretend to be a christian for my family members. The thought that it can mentally destroy them or that a close loved one could die of a broken heart is just not worth being honest for me. They will believe what they and want and I will believe what I want, the least I can do is hold on to the relationships.