Do Religions Harm More Than Help?

For members of the "Former Christian" usergroup

Moderator: Moderators

ElCodeMonkey
Site Supporter

Do Religions Harm More Than Help?

Post #1

Post by ElCodeMonkey »

Especially speaking of Christianity, there's often a feeling that churches and church people do a lot of good for the community or less fortunate people. For non-Christians, I think this enables a passive stance on not attempting to "convert" people to Atheism or Agnosticism. That, along with the stance that one should not push their opinions on others, of course.

But what if it's hurting people? What if more people are suffering and dying because of it? In my opinion, this belief system is damaging people greatly which rises a desire in me to do something about it. Perhaps it's from my former Christian upbringing that makes me want to make an impact in the world, but it's also that upbringing that I feel has damaged me in many ways. It wasn't so much my "choice" to be Christian as it was my life circumstances filling my tabula rosa. I'm not sure if there's much hope for converting people in the throws of religion, but perhaps there could be campaigns to help guide people away from that route?
I'm Published! Christians Are Revolting: An Infidel's Progress
My Blog: Friendly By Nurture
The Wisdom I've gleaned.
My Current Beliefs.

ElCodeMonkey
Site Supporter

Re: Do Religions Harm More Than Help?

Post #11

Post by ElCodeMonkey »

[Replying to Divine Insight]

I'm not so much interested in other religious concepts. I hold firm that all religions are harmful in some way shape or form. I do not wish to debate your beliefs, but I will answer your questions so that you can at least understand my position.

In short, yes, atoms can have an experience. We are living proof of that. Even a rock can have an experience; it simply doesn't realize it's having one because its atoms have not arranged in such a way as to have a realization. A sentient being is no more than a computer made of biological material. If it were more, there wouldn't be such a huge impact from input (i.e. upbringing). This is why the majority of people stick with the religion they're brought up with and why their world-view is so similar to that of whom they're raised by. Differences generally come from having different experiences such as in school. If your only input was your parents, you'd likely be nearly 100% like them. Luckily the internet allows us to have many more experiences outside our regular realm.

In the end, I believe that just because something is "mysterious" doesn't mean it's not natural. Not believing in the supernatural can help us focus on the natural and understanding the world around us. Knowing that meditating won't transcend me to another universe, time, or world, gives me the time to focus on contemplating space travel instead which will be much more productive. Well, hopefully :-). Perhaps it's not any more possible than the meditation, but at least natural laws can be tested, formulated, and calculated to determine that.

I would guess that 90% of the principles of 90% of the religions are "good" but that the remaining 10% of the principles or the remaining 10% of the religions are extremely damaging to society. Most tend to preach "do what is good and right" yet add in a bunch of mysticism and supernatural failings that deny a person of a bountiful life and the real benefit of the remaining principles.
I'm Published! Christians Are Revolting: An Infidel's Progress
My Blog: Friendly By Nurture
The Wisdom I've gleaned.
My Current Beliefs.

Princess Luna On The Moon
Apprentice

Post #12

Post by Princess Luna On The Moon »

I was raised as a Southern Baptist Christian. I went to Christian schools, I went to church, and I read the bible every day. Eventually, I stopped going and became less and less of a Christian, yet I still prayed to god and was quite scared that I was too much of a sinner and that I would be sent to hell for all eternity.

I do think that religion causes more harm for this reason. I feel it's nothing more than a delusion. People can adhere to such beliefs all their lives, wasting them away for something that is highly suggestible, often with no consideration for opposition or dissenting arguments.

Now, I understand that not all religions are completely, totally, and absolutely evil. Each religion probably has a few things that are actually good about it. For instance, Christianity has Jesus, whom I would agree with if it weren't for the rest of the book, and of course his claim to divinity.

Unfortunately, a few good things should never be a reason to go along with something. If religion were a video game, few would purchase it because the few good things would be so heavily overwrought by the negatives. Of course, this is all personal opinion.

Robert H
Student

Post #13

Post by Robert H »

[Replying to post 1 by ElCodeMonkey]

In general, churches are good for society. Yes, some get carried away, but the main theme is to try and be a better person. After all, we make rules in our society that we expect people to follow, but how can we really enforce those rules everywhere? The people have to willingly follow them. But you can't go into people's homes and make sure they are doing everything all the time. One easy way to make sure people live your rules is to tell them there is this all seeing, all knowing being that will know if you do anything wrong and will punish you in the next life if you do. It's just a fear tactic. Our society uses fear tactics all the time. Don't follow the rules and off to jail you go. Most people would steal from someone if they knew they wouldn't get caught, if there was no fear of punishment. So, what do churches do... they keep up the fear tactic. Mainly they teach good morals and throw out that some god would be mad if you don't live these morals. Now that isn't so bad.
It does lead to guilt though. For instance, this sex outside of marriage stuff - churches say that's bad, even masturbation is bad.... but you know what - every single person on earth masturbates, A LOT! Every priest, every church member, every atheist... all of us. So people do that, they go to church, they feel guilty, then they go home and masturbate again. So what does it matter? People feel guilty and ashamed of themsevles. Big deal. Then the go feed the homeless to relieve that guilt. It's a good thing.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #14

Post by Divine Insight »

Robert H wrote: It does lead to guilt though. For instance, this sex outside of marriage stuff - churches say that's bad, even masturbation is bad.... but you know what - every single person on earth masturbates, A LOT! Every priest, every church member, every atheist... all of us. So people do that, they go to church, they feel guilty, then they go home and masturbate again. So what does it matter? People feel guilty and ashamed of themsevles. Big deal. Then the go feed the homeless to relieve that guilt. It's a good thing.
This may seem trivial, but actually it's not. Causing people to feel guilty over things that are perfectly natural, and have even been medically found to actually be healthy both physically and psychologically is not a good thing.

After all, if having an orgasm is chemically healthy for the brain psychologically, that very action is destroyed if the person is then feeling guilty about having done it.

Another thing also, is that typically religions don't only make people feel guilty about trivial things like masturbation, but they also make people feel guilty about having natural sexual attraction to other people. And of course, religions also teach people to believe that if any person is sexually attracted to a person of their same sex they are somehow evil, a sinner, or just plain sick and need to be cured.

So religions literally destroy the lives of those who are naturally attracted to people of their own sex.

That's hardly trivial.

You say that churches teach people good morals, but they also teach horrible bigotries as well. And they teach people to support these bigotries in the name of a God. And that's not good.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]