Abridged Compiled and Reinterpreted Atheist Bible

For members of the "Former Christian" usergroup

Moderator: Moderators

ElCodeMonkey
Site Supporter

Abridged Compiled and Reinterpreted Atheist Bible

Post #1

Post by ElCodeMonkey »

If it's not already done, I'm considering a project of parsing out only the good parts of the Bible and other religious texts (with slight modification/interpretation). There is indeed a lot of good moral stories and teachings (albeit not compared to the number of useless things), but I think it would be interesting to jam all the good parts together and even see just how much the religions overlap with morals when taking out the contradictory evils. If nothing else, it might be a good book of wisdom when it's done that even an atheist can enjoy.

As I said, it would have to be slightly reinterpreted though to give it a non theistic position. So instead of the "fruits of the spirit", it might say, "the fruits of a good life" are "love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control". Good teaching, and not particularly religious :-).

Does something like this exist? Is anyone interested in helping with this somehow?
I'm Published! Christians Are Revolting: An Infidel's Progress
My Blog: Friendly By Nurture
The Wisdom I've gleaned.
My Current Beliefs.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by McCulloch »

You might want to start with Jefferson Bible.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

ElCodeMonkey
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by ElCodeMonkey »

Awesome! I'll definitely give that a read. Sounds like it's only the 4 gospels and certainly not any other religious books. Perhaps a great starting point. Thanks!
The Wisdom I've gleaned.
My Current Beliefs.

ElCodeMonkey
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by ElCodeMonkey »

Ah, the Jefferson Bible is a similar concept but not what I'm shooting for. I want absolutely no "history" or story-telling except maybe a useful parable or allegory. It should read more like a book of proverbs.

Though I wonder if it's even worth acting like they're quotes after changing it so much. Perhaps it's then just a collection of my own insights that were derived or are similar to these passages rather than a reinterpretation or compilation of them. What do you guys think?

For example, I wouldn't use any of the verses prior to Matthew 5:3-16 in the new testament and those particular versus would be rewritten as follows:
3 Better off are those of humble spirit for they will be more praised.

4 Better off are those that properly express their feelings for only they will find comfort.

5 Better off are those who do not force their will on others for they will more often obtain what they desire

6 Better off are those who hunger and thirst for doing what is good and right for they shall have a much more fulfilling life.

7 Better off are those who are forgiving toward others for they too shall be forgiven when they make mistakes.

8 Better off are those who's hearts long for what is good for they shall see great reward.

9 Better off are those longing for peace for they shall be known and loved in return for it.

10 Better off are those who are ridiculed for the sake of doing good for they will sleep more soundly knowing they are in the right.

11 Better off are you when people hate you for simply wanting to do what is right. 12 Rejoice, and be exceeding glad for you will become a messenger of what is good and even negative publicity will make you more known for it.

13 You could be like salt for the world. But keep in mind that if salt has no real flavor it is good for nothing but to be cast out, rejected, and trampled upon.

14 Uplifting what is good is like being light to the world and a city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. 15 People don't just light a candle then hide it; they put it somewhere prominent in order to improve the atmosphere of the house. 16 So let your light similarly shine that others may see how you value doing what is right and thus be grateful for it.
The Wisdom I've gleaned.
My Current Beliefs.