How serious were you about Christianity?

For members of the "Former Christian" usergroup

Moderator: Moderators

Before you left Christianty, just how serious were you about being a Christian?

Nominal.
7%
Student.
12%
Committed.
65%
Professional.
12%
Other.
5%

Total votes: 43

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #1

Post by McCulloch »

Before you left Christianty, just how serious were you about being a Christian?
  • Nominal. Christian in name only, attended church for social or family reasons.
  • Student. Seriously investigated Christianity but never really committed to it.
  • Committed. Bought it hook, line and sinker.
  • Professional. Gave up job or career to pursue Christian calling.
  • Other. Please specify.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

msmcneal
Scholar

Post #11

Post by msmcneal »

Professional. I was THE dedicated fundamentalist. My senior year in high school, I was a Trinitarian Pentecostal, and everyone in my class knew me, but most only knew me as "the preacher". It got to where I only took my Bible to classes, I didn't feel the need for textbooks. A few years back, right before I began to leave Christianity, I was training to be a preacher under my pastor in the IFB church I attended.

catalyst
Site Supporter

Post #12

Post by catalyst »

I clicked on committed before seeing professional, so that being the case I really should have clicked on "other" as I guess I was a committed professional.

:lol: :-k

cnorman18

Re: How serious were you about Christianity?

Post #13

Post by cnorman18 »

I guess I'm the only one here who left Christianity to join another religion.

I was a Methodist minister for 3-4 years thirty-(mumble) years ago. I guess that's 'professional" enough.

I was never quite comfortable as a Christian, and wben I began to study Judaism in my late 40s, I realized that it was my home and somehow always had been. It taught things I had believed from childhood. I converted at the age of 50 and have never looked back.

indie_girl03
Student

Post #14

Post by indie_girl03 »

i was commited.
but only because christianity was all i was exposed to. all my family and friends said that all non-christians go to hell, so i believed like they did.
it wasn't until i got old enough to think for myself that i really started to question christianity. i just didnt feel comfortable with it, there were too many unanswered and avoided questions for me to accept it purely on faith.
im only 15 years old, but i think im mature enough to make my own decisions now concerning religion and beliefs. im an agnostic now, im not an atheist, i just don't believe in the christian viewpoint of god. i want to find my own answers=)

Sotomone
Student

Post #15

Post by Sotomone »

Well I was one for most of my life. Still a student because I prayed during meals, before going to sleep, and whenever I felt I did some thing wrong. I wasn't a complete Christian though because I didn't devote every thing I had too it. I went to church, I prayed, I followed the 10 commandments. Till the age of 15 then I found my self doubting it so much I became a pagan because I questioned gods existence. And that there was only one true god. I thought there had to be multiple divine forms. But in the end I began to question the proof of such things. And eventually landed in none religion. So by the age of 17 I was told of Atheism and decided with my friends help to follow it. None-religious made me feel as if I was a drone amongst the masses. Now I feel like a individualist and I feel like my life has become right.

I apologize if I slightly rambled on but eh that sums down my train from religion to Atheism.

On a side note I have my parents to thank for supporting me and not hating me for giving up Christianity and allowing me to follow my own path.

Munchskreem
Apprentice

Post #16

Post by Munchskreem »

I was born into a Catholic family and mildly devout, but never terribly into it up until I left, which was around the age of sixteen. I went to church on Sundays but was tremendously bored with it and went to confession every so often. I knew relatively little about Catholicism, though.

Heterodoxus
Scholar

Re: How serious were you about Christianity?

Post #17

Post by Heterodoxus »

How serious was I about Christianity?

* I'm a grandson of a western PA coal miner turned mainline minister after he had a disagreement and physical confrontation with the founder of the UMWA;

* I'm the son of a mother who aspired to be a Christian missionary, but who was unable to follow that dream because of a heart condition;

* I'm the son of an Episcopal, Mason, WWII Army vet, and mildly dysfunctional yet super father who wasn't completely himself after returning from the South Pacific;

* I'm a three tour Vietnam veteran nominated for the Silver Star who experienced severe PTSD for many years after I returned from SE Asia;

* I'm a trained, credentialed, and former Christian chaplain, pastor, and theologist ordained and licensed in three denominations, but now inactive in all; and,

* I'm also retired and spending the majority of my now very free time in continued theological research, forum discussions and debates, and writing monographs.

I gotta get a life! Anyway, orthodox Churchianity no longer rings as true in my mind which, if I were to try to explain, this website would need to considerably increase its capacity.

C'ya on the boards?

elle
Apprentice

Post #18

Post by elle »

Like the majority of the respondents here I chose committed. I technically was a student at one point, but only because I felt I had to be. I never really studied the Bible on my own willingly. I was definitely very committed to the doctrine though. I did not have much of a chance to be different growing up. Both of my parents are church leaders even today and most everyone I knew in the area besides my schoolmates were involved in this particular non-denominational group. Quite a few of my school friends were also Christian, especially my best friends. (I did hang out a lot with a few pagans though in 11th and 12th grades). I got a certificate of completion for completing the entire course the Way Ministry put on and though I did not feel emotionally connected to God, I did feel like most everything that was taught made sense. The worst part? Leaving religion and being true to myself did not fix as much in my life as I thought it would. Oh well.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.--Carl Sagan

PlayRadioPlay!

Post #19

Post by PlayRadioPlay! »

Mix of Nominal and Student. Was forced to attend church all of my life, did plenty of research and was convinced. But, I'm smarter now. (;

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #20

Post by McCulloch »

PlayRadioPlay! wrote:Mix of Nominal and Student. Was forced to attend church all of my life, did plenty of research and was convinced. But, I'm smarter now. (;
I know what you mean. I wish I were as smart now as I though I was when I was eighteen!.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John