Criticism

For members of the "Former Christian" usergroup

Moderator: Moderators

sledheavy
Scholar

Criticism

Post #1

Post by sledheavy »

I think I've been told everything from giving up faith is like giving up cigarettes (you'll be back when you really need it), to god's there you just don't know it, even to why would you want to give up something so great.

I get the feeling from everyone that to become athiest is to give up all hope. That's pretty cynical.

But in all honesty I think the more people I encounter wouldn't like to talk about religion in general. As if there's a trend going around that makes religion and politics taboo.

Maybe it's just where I live.

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by Cathar1950 »

I am sure there are many that give up all hope.
But i don't think an atheist has to give up all hope just because they are not convinced (or see any reason or evidence) there is a god or gods.

I think hope is a human quality no matter what you believe or don't believe.

I am always being told there are two things you don't do in a bar talk about religion or politics.
I think it is the best place for the Discussion.
Like the Author od "the last great place" wrote;
Drinking is to conversation like a bed is to sex, you don't need it but it can make it a hell of a lot more comfortable.
Some historian say that the Taverns where where the Revolutionary War started because everyone in the Pub was equal, along with Wesley's groups meeting.

The trend might be due to the Religious Right and our current administration.

sledheavy
Scholar

Post #3

Post by sledheavy »

Agreed.

However, even outside of bars, talking about current events feels like drowning someone in a deep fryer. I can see the expression on their face when I mention anything that's arguable.

my teacher even pointed out in retrospect: "don't any of you people watch cnn? You're supposed to be on the pulse of social disorder!"

(sigh). The last four years I've wanted to find that bar where everyone discusses religion and politics. Where someone isn't wearing an SRH shirt and the topic of dicsussion isn't always on UFC fighting and the ratio of guys to girls is 5:1.

......I hate this place.

I can only play pool so much or talk about chuck liddell till I get bored.

We need a spot on the forum for drunks. lol.

Negachrist
Student

Post #4

Post by Negachrist »

You can't "give up" something which never existed in the first place.

Did those critics ever have imaginary friends when they were small children? Did you ask them why they gave THOSE up?