Disappointment and advise.

For members of the "Former Christian" usergroup

Moderator: Moderators

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Disappointment and advise.

Post #1

Post by McCulloch »

The daughter of a close Christian friend of mine is now attending a Bible college. She contacted my wife and I recently, saying that she had just read a wonderful book on Christian apologetics. She challenged us that if we read this book seriously and after reading it tell her why we still did not believe, she would read a skeptical book of our choosing. I was looking forward to the challenge.

We contemplated several apologists for non-belief that would then provide a challenge to her. Harris, Dawkins, Russell, Dennett, Stanton, Ingersoll, Hitchens all came to mind.

Imagine my disappointment when I later learned that the author of this revelation was Lee Strobel. I will still go through the exercise but I really doubt that it will be a challenge.

After getting over our shock, we have tentatively decided to have her read Crimes Against Logic by Jamie Whyte. The book should only take a couple of days to read, and is very clearly written. We thought that a light popular-style book about logic and logical fallacies would help her to evaluate the alleged apologetics that have so far impressed her than longer more serious works against religious faith.

Does anyone have other ideas?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

bernee51
Site Supporter

Re: Disappointment and advise.

Post #2

Post by bernee51 »

McCulloch wrote:The daughter of a close Christian friend of mine is now attending a Bible college. She contacted my wife and I recently, saying that she had just read a wonderful book on Christian apologetics. She challenged us that if we read this book seriously and after reading it tell her why we still did not believe, she would read a skeptical book of our choosing. I was looking forward to the challenge.

We contemplated several apologists for non-belief that would then provide a challenge to her. Harris, Dawkins, Russell, Dennett, Stanton, Ingersoll, Hitchens all came to mind.

Imagine my disappointment when I later learned that the author of this revelation was Lee Strobel. I will still go through the exercise but I really doubt that it will be a challenge.

After getting over our shock, we have tentatively decided to have her read Crimes Against Logic by Jamie Whyte. The book should only take a couple of days to read, and is very clearly written. We thought that a light popular-style book about logic and logical fallacies would help her to evaluate the alleged apologetics that have so far impressed her than longer more serious works against religious faith.

Does anyone have other ideas?
Hi Mac

Just noticed this. I think the idea of a generic book on critical thinking is a good one...it would remove, i think, any emotional attachment to the topic of relgious belief. For a more academic look at the monotheisms I can recommend the Atheist Manifesto by Michel Onfray. He describes his writing and ideas as atheology. He does not address the topic with the polemic of Dawkins nor the 'magazine' style of Hitchens. My only complaint is the somewhat Gallic pretentiousness of his style.
"Whatever you are totally ignorant of, assert to be the explanation of everything else"

William James quoting Dr. Hodgson

"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two."

Nisargadatta Maharaj

ShadowRishi
Apprentice

Post #3

Post by ShadowRishi »

Hey McCulluch,

I know this is about 6 months ex post facto, but how did this turn out?

I would have personally chosen a work that would clearly, calmly, and rationally gone through all of the apologetic arguments for Christianity. I don't read anti-apologetic books very often, so I cannot think of one that would have sufficed.

So, how did this end turning out?

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by McCulloch »

ShadowRishi wrote:Hey McCulluch,

I know this is about 6 months ex post facto, but how did this turn out?

I would have personally chosen a work that would clearly, calmly, and rationally gone through all of the apologetic arguments for Christianity. I don't read anti-apologetic books very often, so I cannot think of one that would have sufficed.

So, how did this end turning out?
It got a bit side tracked. Her mother died. We'll probably pick it up again soon.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John