What kind of Christian were you?

For members of the "Former Christian" usergroup

Moderator: Moderators

ElCodeMonkey
Site Supporter

What kind of Christian were you?

Post #1

Post by ElCodeMonkey »

Looking back to my psycho-Christian days, I see many things that I would now change from a non-Christian perspective:

1. My Black and White idea of Right and Wrong
2. Assuming that I KNOW the truth and everyone else is mislead
3. Wearing Christian T-Shirts
4. Acting like a Christian authority
5. Christian-only music preference
6. Not swearing or drinking because it's "wrong"

Things I never believed in while Christian:

1. Rituals (such as praying before every meal)
2. The Bible's 100% infallible accuracy

How 'bout you guys?

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Re: What kind of Christian were you?

Post #2

Post by McCulloch »

ElCodeMonkey wrote:How 'bout you guys?
Looking back to my psycho-Christian days, I see many things that I would now change from a non-Christian perspective:
  1. My Black and White idea of Right and Wrong
    Isn't that just so true.
  2. Assuming that I KNOW the truth and everyone else is mislead
    Yes
  3. Wearing Christian T-Shirts
    Never did that.
  4. Acting like a Christian authority
    Yes
  5. Christian-only music preference
    Could not bring myself to do that. I knew just too much really good music to do that. Besides, most Christian music was done by those who claimed to be Christian but who did not adhere to my particular version of Christianity and so were in many ways worse than unbelievers.
  6. Not swearing or drinking because it's "wrong"
    This one is embarrassing. I once told my wife off for saying, "Oh God" during sex. It's wrong, you know. I did wait until after we were done to correct her.
Things I never believed in while Christian:
  1. Rituals (such as praying before every meal)
    Pray before every meal and lots of other times too. Never miss a church meeting.
  2. The Bible's 100% infallible accuracy
    It was God's Word. It had to be absolutely infallibly accurate.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

ElCodeMonkey
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by ElCodeMonkey »

Hahaha. That's rather funny. My wife, on the other hand, would probably have stopped in the middle to correct me and ruined everything. And I know what you mean about musical artists not conforming to my view making them worse. I once went to a concert and this guy played the secular (hence evil) song "What if God was one of us" and I was just SOOOO ticked off. I hated him from that point on.

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Cathar1950 »

ElCodeMonkey wrote:Hahaha. That's rather funny. My wife, on the other hand, would probably have stopped in the middle to correct me and ruined everything. And I know what you mean about musical artists not conforming to my view making them worse. I once went to a concert and this guy played the secular (hence evil) song "What if God was one of us" and I was just SOOOO ticked off. I hated him from that point on.
What if God was one of us?
I liked that song and even felt it was good theology.
It seem much better then Jesus is God and he wants to off his kid or himself because he needs his ounce of blood to accept the rest of us.
Seeing God in everything and everyone does have its beauty.
Trying to act upon it is not that easy,so I try to think of them as someone's child that should have been hugged and loved a little better.
Of course some seem like they should have bee beaten but this is coming from someone that couldn't spank his kids and found my stern voice was enough to bring tears. Besides children's laughter is like music and their smiles like gold.

ElCodeMonkey
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by ElCodeMonkey »

Cathar1950 wrote:What if God was one of us?
It wasn't about the theology of the song, it was about the "principle" of the matter :P.
Cathar1950 wrote:Besides children's laughter is like music and their smiles like gold.
I totally agree. At least while they're young anyway... We'll see when my kids get older!

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by Cathar1950 »

ElCodeMonkey wrote:
Cathar1950 wrote:What if God was one of us?
It wasn't about the theology of the song, it was about the "principle" of the matter :P.
Cathar1950 wrote:Besides children's laughter is like music and their smiles like gold.
I totally agree. At least while they're young anyway... We'll see when my kids get older!
My kids are now 25 and 27 and even if I still give them hugs and kisses I fondly remember when I held them on my lap(corrected) and sang them to sleep.
Is that a tear? Must be something in my eyes.
I wish I had them at every age but then I would have over 50 kids.
Last edited by Cathar1950 on Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by McCulloch »

Cathar1950 wrote:I fondly remember when I held them on my lab and sang them to sleep.
Wow, you must have had a very patient lab that would allow your kids to sleep on it.

Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by Cathar1950 »

I did have a Newfoundland or what ever that the cats, others dogs and a a raccoon slept on.
I changed it to lap just so no one would get the wrong idea.

ElCodeMonkey
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by ElCodeMonkey »

A raccoon! That's kool :-). I want a raccoon...

Did anyone else ever think that they were such a super awesome Christian and so in touch with God that you could NEVER deny Him? And that you'd seen way too much in your life to NOT believe?
I'm Published! Christians Are Revolting: An Infidel's Progress
My Blog: Friendly By Nurture
The Wisdom I've gleaned.
My Current Beliefs.

Avariel
Apprentice

Re: What kind of Christian were you?

Post #10

Post by Avariel »

While EVERYTHING on your list is right on for me, too, I think the one thing I regret the most is the overwhelming sense of guilt. I was naturally rebellious anyway, and the guilt over doing things that, as I look back now, really weren't "wrong" really ruined a lot of moments in my life, and delayed me developing into the person I am now by a few years. It just seems a shame; compared to now I seemed so cowed by guilt, and I suppose I may have missed out on oppurtunities to chase after knowledge or experience life because I was afraid of feeling any more guilt.

Edit: ElCode, I had a few times like that in my life. I sort of went through phases of being a hardcore Christian and letting up a little; but I never thought I would ever change.

Shows how much I knew ;) I'm now immensely glad that I did