Jesus Interrupted By Bart Ehrman

Debate specific books

Moderator: Moderators

WinePusher

Jesus Interrupted By Bart Ehrman

Post #1

Post by WinePusher »

Chapter 1: A Historical Assult On Faith
Bart Ehrman wrote:The Bible is filled with discrepanies, many of them irreconcilable contradiction. Moses did not write the Pentateuch and Matthew, Mark Luke and John did not write the Gospels. It is hard to know whether Moses ever existed and what, exactly, the historical Jesus taught.
Major Points:

-Bart Ehrman begins his book by attempting to debunk many of the traditionally held beliefs of Christians and Biblical Fundamentalists by pointing out many "supposed" contradictions found in the Bible.
-He trys to draw a clear and distinct line between evanglical scholarship of biblical texts and his "historical-critical" method of the bible.

Questions for Debate:

In his first chapter, Bart Ehrman makes the following claims: The Exodus probably did not occur as described in the Hebrew Scriptures, the conquest of the promised land is based on legend, the teachings of the historical Jesus are misrepresented, and the Acts of the Apostles contains faulty information on the life of Paul.

1) Can the Bible be considered a historically, reliable document in light of Ehrman's claims?

2) Are Bart Ehrman's claims about scripture true, or are they simply wrong and a result of ignorance?

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #31

Post by McCulloch »

Cathar1950 wrote:
Attacking Christianity by attacking Paul is one of the oldest tricks in the book. People are hesitant to attack Jesus directly, so Paul becomes the most convenient punching bag.
We attack Christianity by attacking Paul because it was Paul who defined most of the core doctrines of Christianity. Any version of Christianity without the teachings and dogma from Paul would be unrecognizable to most modern Christians.

Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #32

Post by Cathar1950 »

McCulloch wrote:
Cathar1950 wrote:
Attacking Christianity by attacking Paul is one of the oldest tricks in the book. People are hesitant to attack Jesus directly, so Paul becomes the most convenient punching bag.
We attack Christianity by attacking Paul because it was Paul who defined most of the core doctrines of Christianity. Any version of Christianity without the teachings and dogma from Paul would be unrecognizable to most modern Christians.

I might have messed up my quotes but I was quoting EduChris.
I would not say such things. :roll:
I have no problem attacking Jesus, or at least what was written about him, or Paul.

EduChris
Prodigy

Post #33

Post by EduChris »

McCulloch wrote:...it was Paul who defined most of the core doctrines of Christianity. Any version of Christianity without the teachings and dogma from Paul would be unrecognizable to most modern Christians...
I guess it depends on which scholars you read and which you find most trustworthy. But even Bart Ehrman admits that Paul didn't "invent this new take on Jesus, but [rather] inherited it...It is no wonder that Paul, when he was still a non-Christian Jew, found the followers of Jesus so offensive" (Ehrman, pp. 239, 243).

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #34

Post by Cathar1950 »

EduChris wrote:
McCulloch wrote:...it was Paul who defined most of the core doctrines of Christianity. Any version of Christianity without the teachings and dogma from Paul would be unrecognizable to most modern Christians...
I guess it depends on which scholars you read and which you find most trustworthy. But even Bart Ehrman admits that Paul didn't "invent this new take on Jesus, but [rather] inherited it...It is no wonder that Paul, when he was still a non-Christian Jew, found the followers of Jesus so offensive" (Ehrman, pp. 239, 243).
He also had is "revelations" and felt his Jesus was independent of the Jesus of James and their gospel. Claiming there was nothing new in Paul or that he was somehow not a Hellenized Jew is simple false. He even claims to be related to the little Herod and may have had his family converted as the Herods.

EduChris
Prodigy

Post #35

Post by EduChris »

Cathar1950 wrote:...He also...felt his Jesus was independent of the Jesus of James and their gospel...
That certainly is putting a spin on things. According to the N.T. documents, Paul and James were on the same page (Galatians 2:9; Acts 15).

Cathar1950 wrote:...He even claims to be related to the little Herod and may have had his family converted as the Herods.
Speculation. There is nothing in the Christian tradition that claims that Paul was related to Herod. Such is the improbable and unprovable stuff conspiracy theories are made of. Even Ehrman (so far as I know) doesn't make such a silly claim.

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #36

Post by Cathar1950 »

EduChris wrote:
Cathar1950 wrote:...He also...felt his Jesus was independent of the Jesus of James and their gospel...
That certainly is putting a spin on things. According to the N.T. documents, Paul and James were on the same page (Galatians 2:9; Acts 15).

Cathar1950 wrote:...He even claims to be related to the little Herod and may have had his family converted as the Herods.
Speculation. There is nothing in the Christian tradition that claims that Paul was related to Herod. Such is the improbable and unprovable stuff conspiracy theories are made of. Even Ehrman (so far as I know) doesn't make such a silly claim.
One of the purposes of the fiction of Acts was to rehabilitate Paul. Gal. and Acts hardly measure up or correspond and as those from James with letters and everything were going around correcting Paul's gospel. I guess it is you choice if you want to put what Acts says over Paul's own words but the charge still stands despite your attempt to quote Ehrman when you seem to have disregarded his scholarship with apologist contempt.

"Paul as Herodian" by Robert Eisenman.
http://depts.drew.edu/jhc/eisenman.html
NOT ONLY only is Paul's pro-Roman and by extension pro-Herodian political philosophy clear from the general tenor of his missionary activities in Acts, it is made explicit in the enunciation of this philosophy in Rom 13. A more anti-Zealot position is difficult to imagine. Setting forth what can only be thought of as a deliberate contradiction of the "Zealot" political position on almost every point, including the tax question, overseas rulers, armed resistance, etc., it is also anti-Jamesian, e.g., "he who does good works has nothing to fear from magistrates" (13:4). Jas 2:6 states the opposite position: "is it not the Rich who are always dragging you before the courts"? The Book of Acts portrays Paul as speaking felicitously on several occasions at some length with many of the above dramatis personae while in Caesarea (the subject of additional contacts in Rome is not treated by our documents). At one point Paul is pictured as saying to Agrippa in the presence of the fornicator and future apostate Bernice, "I know that you believe." King Agrippa, nothing loath, replies, "a little more and you would have made me a Christian"; then he good-naturedly pronounces the judgment, which via the miracle of art has been assimilated into the portrait of Jesus in the Gospels, "this man has done nothing to deserve death or imprisonment" (Acts 26:27-32).

It is not very likely that Paul could have made the miraculous escapes he does without the involvement of some combination of these powerful Herodian/Roman forces. Nothing less is conceivable under the circumstances of the attack on Paul in the Temple and his rescue by Roman soldiers witnessing these events from the Fortress of Antonia (Acts 21:31f). This episode, too, makes mention of a nephew and possibly a sister of Paul (identities otherwise unknown) resident in Jerusalem, but also presumably carrying Roman citizenship. It is they who warn him of a plot by "zealots for the Law" or others interested in Nazirite oath procedures to kill him. Without this kind of intervention, Paul could never have enjoyed the comfortable protective custody he does in Caesarea and never been packed off in relative security to Rome (where Felix and Drusilla precede him). He arrives with funds gathered in overseas fund-raising from many of the areas into which Herodians have expanded and, in part because of this, those areas where circumcision had become such an issue because of the marital practices of Herodian princesses.

But where Paul is concerned, one can go even further. Paul speaks in an unguarded moment in Rom 16:11 of his "kinsman Herodion." Though the name could refer to any person by this name anywhere, still names like Herod and its derivatives (n.b. the parallel with the name of Caesar's son "Caesarion") are not common. Nor is there any indication that the passage is an interpolation. If it were indicative of actual familial relationships with Herodians, which in my view it is, then by itself it explains the hint of Herodian membership and/or activity in the early Christian community in Antioch. It also very easily explains the matter of Paul's Roman citizenship, which is such an important element in these escapes. In turn, it helps explain why Paul is always so convinced of his own Jewishness, while others seem to have misgivings concerning it, and it throws much light on the peculiar manner in which he chooses to exercise this Judaism. Paul's claim to being of the tribe of Benjamin may relate to a general genre of such claims in the Diaspora, but it also illustrates the superficial ease with which such claims could be passed off on credulous and relatively unschooled audiences. It is more likely that Paul derives the claim to Benjaminite birth not from any actual genealogical link, but from the simple fact of his Hebrew namesake "Saul" being from the tribe of Benjamin.

His reported description of himself as a "Pharisee the son of a Pharisee" (Acts 23:6) is also readily explained by his Herodian pedigree, and I have been at some pains to set forth the Pharisaic connections of the Herodians in Maccabees. These are perhaps best illustrated by the anti-Maccabean tendencies of this party and the cry in m. Sota 7 of those assembled (presumably Pharisees) when Agrippa (whether I or II is not specified, probably I) comes to read the Deuteronomic King Law: "Thou shalt not put a foreigner over you,' You are one of us! You are one of us! You are one of us!" For the purposes of Zadokite history in Palestine, the mirror reversals of this episode are the attempt by Simon "the head of a Sanhedrin" of his own in Jerusalem to bar Agrippa I from the Temple as a foreigner in the 40s and the wall built by Temple zealots in the next generation to bar Agrippa II's view of the sacrifices (not to mention Agrippa's ultimate expulsion from Jerusalem: see below). The Temple Scroll makes the Qumran interest in these matters palpable, even going into the marital practices of the King and insisting that in addition to not multiplying or taking foreign wives, he keep the same wife his whole life - all matters relevant to the general "fornication" charge against Herodians.

But Paul's Herodian links even explain how such a comparatively young man could have wielded such powers when he first came to Jerusalem and how he could have been empowered by "the high priest" to search out "Christians" in areas even as far afield as "Damascus" (whether we are dealing with the "Damascus" settlement of Qumran allusion or an actual "Jewish Settlement in Damascus" is impossible to tell from the sources). They readily explain his easy entrance into Jerusalem ruling circles — all matters which have never been explained. The reference immediately preceding the one to Herodion in Rom 16:10, i.e., to a certain "household of Aristobulus," consolidates these suspicions even further. Though Aristobulus may have been a common name, still it is most prominent among Herodians, there being two or three Aristobuluses from different lines living at the same time, the most interesting of them being Herod of Chalcis' son Aristobulus noted above.

WinePusher

Post #37

Post by WinePusher »

Druijf wrote:I would like to get of clearer picture of your view on inspiration and inerrancy.

Can you give me an example of a story in the Bible that you wouldn't read in a literal manner? Is there a statement of Ehrman in the first two chapters that would be troublesome to your beliefs about the Bible if he is correct?
Sure. I believe in the inspiration of the Bible by God, and a story I would not read in a literal manner would be the creation story and the flood story. But that does not mean I don't believe in creationism or God's omnipotence.

The trouble I have with Ehrman, and other scholars of his type, is that they exploit thoughtful inquiry to support their preconcieved conclusions about Jesus and God. They are similar to Evolutionists and Darwainists, who take a perfectly fine scientific theory and use it to to refute creationism and Christianity. It's an abuse of history and science on their part.
WinePusher wrote:1) Does Paul accurately represent the teachings of Jesus Christ?
In chapter 2 Ehrman only discusses discrepancies between the life of Paul as it is portrayed in Acts and the information Paul's letters provides us. Paul letters themselves show that he had some controversies with Jewish christians, that show that his message was not undisputed. Furthermore, Jesus' message in the Q-document is more about the kingdom of God than about himself, his death and resurrection.
Of course, these are all reasonable objections. But it was not Paul's goal to appeal to the Jews, but rather the Gentiles. And the crux of Christianity is the divinity of Christ, so of course when Paul was preaching he would have focused more on Jesu Christ and his resurrection.
WinePusher wrote: 2) Do the many differing views of the resurrection show that it is a false event?

No, but I think that the differences show that the gospels do not show us that or how it actually happened. Paul's view on the resurrection does not require an empty tomb.
I disagree, the Gospels do show us what actually happened expect from different points of views. Not only do the Gospels confirm the resurrection, but so does widespread growth of Christianity in spite of Roman persecution and an empty tomb. The empty tomb is not an invention of Paul, but rather a fact drawn from the fact that the Jews could not produce the body of Jesus.
WinePusher wrote: 3) Any additional thoughts on the information Bart Ehrman Presents?

I think that most discrepancies Ehrman points out are real discrepancies that cannot be harmonized, and so the doctrine of inerrancy cannot stand. Why do you think?

Maybe we can discuss a discrepancy that is treated in chapter 2 in greater detail.
I would think that if the Gospels were completely harmonized, it would lead to greater doubt. While the synoptics were somewhat copied off one another, they provide different viewpoints and perspectives of Jesus' life and ministry. And notice that the discrepencies are only minor events, not major events.

Druijf
Student

Post #38

Post by Druijf »

WinePusher wrote: The trouble I have with Ehrman, and other scholars of his type, is that they exploit thoughtful inquiry to support their preconcieved conclusions about Jesus and God. They are similar to Evolutionists and Darwainists, who take a perfectly fine scientific theory and use it to to refute creationism and Christianity. It's an abuse of history and science on their part.
The only claim is see that is being made is that the bible is not an inerrant book, but that is not the same as refuting christianity and I am sure Ehrman does not think so. I agree that the title of this book is somewhat suggestive (but that is often the work of the publisher, who often wants to make titles juicy and controversial).

Ehrman himself states:
Ehrman, JI, pg. 271 wrote: Students are often surprised to learn that I am completely sympa-
thetic to this �nal point of view. The goal of my class is not to attack
the Bible or to destroy the students’ faith. One of my goals is to get
them to think about issues that many of them care deeply about and
that ultimately matter.

So, too, with this book. Some readers will �nd it surprising that I do
not see the material in the preceding chapters as an attack on Chris-
tianity or an agnostic’s attempt to show that faith, even Christian
faith, is meaningless and absurd. That is not what I think, and it is
not what I have been trying to accomplish.
WinePusher wrote: 2) Do the many differing views of the resurrection show that it is a false event?

I disagree, the Gospels do show us what actually happened expect from different points of views. Not only do the Gospels confirm the resurrection, but so does widespread growth of Christianity in spite of Roman persecution and an empty tomb. The empty tomb is not an invention of Paul, but rather a fact drawn from the fact that the Jews could not produce the body of Jesus.
The only thing the resurrection stories show is that there were early christians who believed Jesus had been raised from the dead. This doesn't prove anything. The resurrection cannot be proven by historical means, just as any miracle story from history. Belief in the resurrection is based on theological criteria, not historical.

My point with Paul is that his view on resurrection as mentioned in 1 Cor. 15 does not require to see the resurrection so as that Jesus came back alive with the same body as that he was buried, but with a heavenly, incorruptible body. I think that the idea of Jesus resurrection was born out of the Jewish conviction that a righteous martyr would get an afterlife vindication in heaven by God (Daniel, Maccabees). The empty tomb is a later development from that tradition.
1 Cor. 15 wrote: 44 It is sown a physical body, it is raised a spiritual body. If there is a physical body, there is also a spiritual body. 45 Thus it is written, “The first man, Adam, became a living being�; the last Adam became a life-giving spirit. 46 But it is not the spiritual that is first, but the physical, and then the spiritual. 47 The first man was from the earth, a man of dust; the second man is from heaven.

I would think that if the Gospels were completely harmonized, it would lead to greater doubt. While the synoptics were somewhat copied off one another, they provide different viewpoints and perspectives of Jesus' life and ministry. And notice that the discrepencies are only minor events, not major events.
Matthew and Luke used Mark and another source which we call Q. This accounts for most of the agreements. Lucan and Matthean Sondergut have greater divergencies when they talk about similar events (birth and resurrection narratives), the location of the Q material in the gospel Matthew and the gospel Luke is often different.

The differences between Mark and John are so large (especially on the point of the teaching style and openness about Jesus' identity) that you can't see them both as historical witnesses. I think neither of them are, but this would require a meta-discussion on the issue how we should regard the gospels.

Adamoriens
Sage

Post #39

Post by Adamoriens »

WinePusher wrote:Unless Ehrman, or someone on here, can point out the errors or flaws in the Book of Exodus, I see no reason why we should doubt the text. It is consistent with Near Eastern History, that the Israelites were in Egypt for a long period of time and a figure "Moses" came and liberated them from Pharoah.
The underlying assumption here is that ancient texts (or at least biblical ones; so much for the Epic of Gilgamesh and the Book of the Dead) are to be accepted as authoritative and true unless shown otherwise. I could challenge this, but I think I'll just be shown the Slippery Slope. Hopefully historical study is more nuanced than complete skepticism or complete credulity.

Whatever the case, one should wonder why 600,000 people suddenly leaving Egypt behind them in a cloud of destruction (her king and his army drowned, her first-born killed) and travelling about the desert for forty years should fail to leave a trace of their passing. Is this enough reason to doubt the Exodus?

[quote-"WinePusher"]On pg 17, Bart Ehrman makes reference to his other book God's Problem: How The Bible Fails To Answer Our Most Important Question-Why We Suffer.

This is one of the reasons why I doubt Bart Ehrman as an objective scholar, as the Bible does answer this question multiple times and multiple occasions. [/quote]

Indeed. The multiple answers to the question of evil is the very subject of the book; specifically, how they contradict one another.

Adamoriens
Sage

Post #40

Post by Adamoriens »

Hello everyone. I bought this book last year and started rereading for the second time when I saw this debate. In my perversity I'm going to react first to the chapter 1 discussion.
WinePusher wrote:Unless Ehrman, or someone on here, can point out the errors or flaws in the Book of Exodus, I see no reason why we should doubt the text. It is consistent with Near Eastern History, that the Israelites were in Egypt for a long period of time and a figure "Moses" came and liberated them from Pharoah.
The underlying assumption here is that ancient texts (or at least biblical ones; so much for the Epic of Gilgamesh and the Book of the Dead) are to be accepted as authoritative and true unless shown otherwise. I could challenge this, but I think I'd just be shown the Slippery Slope. Hopefully historical study is more nuanced than complete skepticism or complete credulity.

Whatever the case, one should wonder why 600,000+ people suddenly leaving Egypt behind them in a cloud of destruction, her king and his army drowned, and travelling about the desert for forty years should fail to leave a trace of their passing. Is this enough reason to doubt the Exodus?
WinePusher wrote:On pg 17, Bart Ehrman makes reference to his other book God's Problem: How The Bible Fails To Answer Our Most Important Question-Why We Suffer.

This is one of the reasons why I doubt Bart Ehrman as an objective scholar, as the Bible does answer this question multiple times and multiple occasions.
Indeed. The multiple answers to the question of evil is the very subject of the book; specifically, how they contradict one another.
EduChris wrote:I see Ehrman as someone who is desperately trying to win affirmation from others. At first he sought affirmation from the fundamentalist group he initially joined. He wanted to prove his mettle to them. Then later, when exposed to the liberal or secular viewpoint, he again wanted to prove his mettle with them. And then now, in the populist tone of his writing, he again seeks to
"prove" or "demonstrate" his mettle to his readers.
This is fascinating stuff, especially in light of the following:
EduChris wrote:So it seems to me that Ehrman is the type who wants affirmation; that is why he bounced around from one view to another. But I was willing to suffer "persecution" (mild by any historical sense, but still not negligent to a teenager or young adult) or stigmatization. I was more concerned about what was true than I was about what would get me affirmed by my peers or my professors.
Knives cuts both ways, EduChris. Where Ehrman simply sought affirmation from those around him, you did the opposite, rebelling like an adolescent against the establishment. Where Ehrman simply wanted to be liked, you wanted to establish your own independence. The pursuit of truth had nothing to do with it.

Rather harsh, isn't it? Hopefully you get my point and forgive my insult. We all think that by virtue of introspection we are more objective than those around us. We aren't.