The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins

Debate specific books

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins

Post #1

Post by otseng »

We will be debating the book, The God Delusion, by Richard Dawkins in a series of threads. Each thread will cover one chapter. Only users who are members of the 2007 The God Delusion usergroup will be permitted to post in the threads. If you wish to join the group, please say "Sign me up" in this thread.

This thread will serve as a place for administrative announcements and a list of all the chapter debates. No debating will be allowed in this thread. General questions or feedback on the procedure of the debates can go in here.

In each chapter debate thread, questions will be posed to get the debates going. But posters are free to bring up any questions or observations that apply to that chapter.

Chapter Debates:
1 - A Deeply Religious Non-believer
2 - The God Hypothesis
3 - Arguments for God's Existence
4 - Why There Almost Certainly Is No God
5 - The Roots of Religion
6 - The Roots of Morality: Why Are We Good?
7 - The 'Good' Book and the Moral Zeitgeist
8 - What's Wrong With Religion? Why Be So Hostile?
9 - Childhood, abuse and the escape from religion
10 - A much needed gap?
Last edited by otseng on Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:34 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Confused
Site Supporter

Re: The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins

Post #2

Post by Confused »

otseng wrote:We will be debating the book, The God Delusion, by Richard Dawkins in a series of threads. Each thread will cover one chapter. Only users who are members of the 2007 The God Delusion usergroup will be permitted to post in the threads. If you wish to join the group, please say "Sign me up" in this thread.

This thread will serve as a place for administrative announcements and a list of all the chapter debates. No debating will be allowed in this thread. General questions or feedback on the procedure of the debates can go in here.

In each chapter debate thread, questions will be posed to get the debates going. But posters are free to bring up any questions or observations that apply to that chapter.

Chapter Debates:
1 - A Deeply Religious Non-believer
2 - The God Hypothesis

I am requesting that we not move further on chapters until the debaters have actually had a chance to present their views and gain responses.
What we do for ourselves dies with us,
What we do for others and the world remains
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no one persons definition of your life; define yourself.

-Harvey Fierstein

otseng
Savant

Post #3

Post by otseng »

Confused wrote: I am requesting that we not move further on chapters until the debaters have actually had a chance to present their views and gain responses.
No threads will be closed, so anyone can post in any thread. Nobody will be excluded the chance to voice their opinions on any thread.

bunyip
Student

Post #4

Post by bunyip »

G'day, All,

I think i'm finally in the proper pew. If not, pointers are welcome.

Somebody in the original thread objected to this discussion being referred to as a "debate". I'm sympathetic to that objection. It's difficult to see what is "debatable" in TGD. Certainly there are no false or misleading statements in the first three chapters [which i'm re-reading after a six-month interruption].

Detailed examinations of the rest of the chapters is a worthy effort, but i'm not certain there's anything "debateable" in them.

In sum, Dawkins urges that the monotheists have been misled about the existence of the supernatural. Is this a debateable point?

the bunyip

otseng
Savant

Post #5

Post by otseng »

bunyip wrote:I think i'm finally in the proper pew.
Almost. The debates will be in the chapter threads. The chapters opened so far are listed in the first post of this thread.