The God Delusion - Chapter 3

Post #1

Post by otseng »

Dawkins presents several arguments used to argue for God's existence:

- The Unmoved Mover
- The Uncaused Cause
- The Cosmological Argument
- The Argument from Degree
- The Argument from Design (Teleological Argument)
- The Ontological Argument
- The Argument from Beauty
- The Argument from Personal Experience
- The Argument from Scripture
- The Argument from Admired Religious Scientists
- Pascal's Wager
- Bayesian Arguments

Does Dawkins adequately refute the arguments for God's existence in this chapter?

I'll also repost McCulloch's questions:
  • Does God provide a natural terminator to the infinite regresses?
  • Is there any validity to Anselm's Ontological Argument?
  • Is the Argument from Beauty valid?
  • Is the Argument from Personal Experience valid? Is it being used or is this Dawkins' strawman?
  • Is the Argument from Scripture valid? Is this another strawman?
  • Does anyone use the Argument from Admired Religious Scientists?
  • Let's not re-do Pascal's Wager
  • Is there any validity to Bayesian Arguments promoted by people such as Stephen Unwin?
  • Did Dawkins leave out or misrepresent any major argument for God's existence?

otseng
Savant

Re: The God Delusion - Chapter 3

Post #11

Post by otseng »

Cogitoergosum wrote:
otseng wrote:Does God provide a natural terminator to the infinite regresses?
Yes. O:)
No a pink unicron is. My pink unicorn has always existed and does not need a designer and he created everything, and naturally he ends an infinite regress.
Please...
But, does Dawkins mention this anywhere?
That's an argument easily destroyed as it is a SPECIAL PLEADING. I'm surprised osteng that you ascribe to this line of thinking.
We have covered this in: Infinite Tortoise Problem (Turtles all the way down)
He will get to these later, i suggest you read the Blind watchmaker and see why ID does not hold.
Actually, I have read The Blind Watchmaker. And it was an unimpressive book. And with how unimpressive The God Delusion is as well, it'll be a long time before I'll read another Dawkins book.

jjg
Apprentice

Post #12

Post by jjg »

I will back my argument up in detail, but it'll probably take a few posts to do.

Cogitoergosum
Sage

Re: The God Delusion - Chapter 3

Post #13

Post by Cogitoergosum »

otseng wrote:
Cogitoergosum wrote:
otseng wrote:Does God provide a natural terminator to the infinite regresses?
Yes. O:)
No a pink unicron is. My pink unicorn has always existed and does not need a designer and he created everything, and naturally he ends an infinite regress.
Please...
But, does Dawkins mention this anywhere?
That's an argument easily destroyed as it is a SPECIAL PLEADING. I'm surprised osteng that you ascribe to this line of thinking.
And i'm sure it has been explained to you multiple times how fallacious this first cause argument is.
if we don't know how god was created that doesn't mean god cannot exist.
Sure but why did we stipulate the God hypothesis to start with? To explain how the universe was created, so if god also needs an explanation then we have solved nothing. Now we have a bigger problem trying to explain how a fantasy being came to be. We have no need for a god hypothesis.
He will get to these later, i suggest you read the Blind watchmaker and see why ID does not hold.
Actually, I have read The Blind Watchmaker. And it was an unimpressive book. And with how unimpressive The God Delusion is as well, it'll be a long time before I'll read another Dawkins book.
Well if you found that book unimpressive i wonder what impresses you. the bible perhaps?
Beati paupere spiritu

jjg
Apprentice

Post #14

Post by jjg »

The infinte tortoise is a meaningless argument in terms of the first cause argument.

There is a common objection against the First Cause argument which runs somewhat along these lines: it is quite true that every event must have a cause, but if the principle of causation be true, why should not the First cause have a cause?

Very simply because an uncaused cause, or First Cause alone answers to the true idea of a cause.

A secondary cause, insofar as it is secondary, is really not a cause at all. I witness an event. As a rational being I am compelled to look for its cause. I attribute it to a prior cause; but I find that this has itself been caused. What has happened? The cause which I have gone back to, has ceased to be a cause. It has become an effect.

If I am therefore; to continue seeking a cause, I must pass over to its explanatory antecendant. It makes no difference how often I go back. If I do not arrive at something which is an uncaused cause, the idea of cause will be just as unsatisfied at the end of my search as at the beginning.

A true cause is one to which the reason not only moves, but in which it rests, and except in a First Cause the mind cannot rest. The alternative does not lie between an infinite series and a first cause, but between accepting a First Cause and rejecting the idea of cause altogether. To ask the question, what caused the first cause, is to ask that the a first cause be at one and the same as a secondary cause, which is a contradiction.

There is nothing contradictory in the concept of an infinite number of secondary causes succeeding each other in time. The First cause is not the first in the order of time, but in the order of rational sufficiency. I arrive at a first cause only when I arrive at something sufficient to explain the series and therefore outside of it.

QED
Prodigy

Post #15

Post by QED »

jjg wrote: There is a common objection against the First Cause argument which runs somewhat along these lines: it is quite true that every event must have a cause, but if the principle of causation be true, why should not the First cause have a cause?

Very simply because an uncaused cause, or First Cause alone answers to the true idea of a cause.
I'm sorry, but this simply doesn't fly as logic because the conclusion invalidates the first premise, "Everything requires a cause" rendering it no longer a universal truth.

The argument can only be valid if we take both premises to be true and the conclusion pulls the rug from under its own feet. This is a very old philosophical "chestnut" and there's at least another half-dozen fatal flaws in it. I respectfully suggest that if you want to debate this further you start a new topic in the philosophy subforum. It's only a suggestion though :D

FinalEnigma
Site Supporter

Post #16

Post by FinalEnigma »

jjg wrote:The infinte tortoise is a meaningless argument in terms of the first cause argument.

There is a common objection against the First Cause argument which runs somewhat along these lines: it is quite true that every event must have a cause, but if the principle of causation be true, why should not the First cause have a cause?

My first problem is here. You are assuming that there must be an answer to the 'True idea of cause'. The unierse does not mold itself to human ideals.
You're deciding that the universe has to be a certain way, because it would not satisfy your desire to have a 'True idea of cause' if it wasn't.

If I am therefore; to continue seeking a cause, I must pass over to its explanatory antecendant. It makes no difference how often I go back. If I do not arrive at something which is an uncaused cause, the idea of cause will be just as unsatisfied at the end of my search as at the beginning.
As I said. If you do not arrive at something which is an uncaused cause your quest for the true idea of cause will be unsatisfied. This doesnt mean that there has to be such an uncaused cause. This is an argument from desire. :o
A true cause is one to which the reason not only moves, but in which it rests, and except in a First Cause the mind cannot rest. The alternative does not lie between an infinite series and a first cause, but between accepting a First Cause and rejecting the idea of cause altogether.
Not quite, accepting a no-first cause does not quite eliminate the idea of cause altogether, but merely the idea of an ultimate indirect cause. You can still have direct causes, and chains of direct causes back to infinity. Therefore accepting a no-first-cause only eliminates that same first cause as a possibility, not direct causes.
And by the way, cause is a human concept. The universe doest have events. It just has an endless progression of activity. The universe and time do not differentiate one event from another. Everything is just moving, and 'events' come about when we arbitrarily decide that this movement has culminated into something recognizable.
To ask the question, what caused the first cause, is to ask that the a first cause be at one and the same as a secondary cause, which is a contradiction.
Not that it is relevent, but this is Metacrock's 'arbitrary neccesity' thing, just in english.
There is nothing contradictory in the concept of an infinite number of secondary causes succeeding each other in time. The First cause is not the first in the order of time, but in the order of rational sufficiency. I arrive at a first cause only when I arrive at something sufficient to explain the series and therefore outside of it.
Now this doesnt make any sense. You mean to say that there can be an infinite regress, but also a first cause at the same time? That would completely defeat your own argument. If you are accepting an infinite regress then there is no need for a first cause.

jjg
Apprentice

Post #17

Post by jjg »

QED, the premise is still true. Can you show som sort of detail that it isn't and remember I'm not talking about physics but ontology.

Final, I said an infinite regress in time.

Everything in our universe is in a constatnt state of flux and potentiality and needs a purely actual cause to explain it.

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #18

Post by Cathar1950 »

Whitehead would say that cause and effect are never really separated and doing so is committing the fallacy of missplaced concrescence.
Cause is an abstraction after the fact.

jjg
Apprentice

Post #19

Post by jjg »

Of course cause is an abstraction. So is math and most physical science. What difference does that make?

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #20

Post by Cathar1950 »

jjg wrote:Of course cause is an abstraction. So is math and most physical science. What difference does that make?
I was agreeing to what you said here;
I guess it really doesn't make a difference.