On the Origin of Species by Charles Darwin

Debate specific books

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

On the Origin of Species by Charles Darwin

Post #1

Post by otseng »

We will be debating the book, On the Origin of Species (1859 first edition), by Charles Darwin in a series of threads. Each thread will cover one chapter. Only users who are members of the Book debate - Origin of Species usergroup will be permitted to post in the threads. If you wish to join the group, please say "Sign me up" in this thread. People are free to join at any time during the book debate.

This thread will serve as a place for administrative announcements and a list of all the chapter debates. No debating will be allowed in this thread. General questions or feedback on the procedure of the debates can go in here.

In each chapter debate thread, questions will be posed to get the debates going. But posters are free to bring up any questions or observations that apply to that chapter.

We will start the book debate when there have been a sufficient number of people stating that they are ready to start. During the debate, I will start a new thread for the next chapter when I feel we are ready to explore the next one, but that doesn't mean previous chapters will be closed for debate. Each chapter will remain open for further debates until we are finished with the entire book.

Online reading:
PDF format:
http://darwin-online.org.uk/pdf/1859_Origin_F373.pdf
http://embryology.med.unsw.edu.au/pdf/O ... pecies.pdf

Text format:
http://darwin.gruts.com/docs/origin-1/
http://darwin-online.org.uk/content/fra ... &pageseq=1

Debating guidelines:
- We are debating the book on its own merits. Usage of modern science to either attack or defend Darwin's points cannot be used.
- The first edition will be the primary text. All other editions of the book can be referenced for general commenting, but not for debating.
- And of course, all rules of the forum must be followed.

Debate threads:
General Overview - Impressions of the book
Chapter 1 - Variation Under Domestication
Chapter 2 - Variation Under Nature
Chapter 3 - Struggle for Existence
Chapter 4 - Natural Selection
Chapter 5 - Law of Variation
Chapter 6 - Difficulties on Theory
Chapter 7 - Instinct
Chapter 8 - Hybridism
Chapter 9 - On the Imperfection of the Geological Record
Chapter 10 - On The Geological Succession of Organic Beings
Chapter 11 - Geographical Distribution
Chapter 12 - Geographical Distribution - continued
Chapter 13 - Mutual Affinities of Organic Beings: Morphology: Embryology: Rudimentary Organs
Chapter 14 - Recapitulation and Conclusion
Last edited by otseng on Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:03 pm, edited 18 times in total.

Pazuzu bin Hanbi
Sage

Post #2

Post by Pazuzu bin Hanbi »

I hope this doesn’t sound too ignorant, but I’ve never participated in a book debate before, so I’d like to know if we’ll discuss the Introduction as well?
لا إلـــــــــــــــــــــــــــه

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Cathar1950 »

Pazuzu bin Hanbi I wonder what there is to debate.
I suppose I will find out soon enough.
After reading the book again over 30 years later I can't help but feel he was almost apologetic and given the convincing arguments he made it almost seem to obvious and I can only wonder what took them so long to see it.
Survival of the fittest is almost to simple and obvious. If you don't have something to pass on and something that works it just don't make it and accidents can exclude good fits.
Population change over time.

otseng
Savant

Post #4

Post by otseng »

Pazuzu bin Hanbi wrote:I hope this doesn’t sound too ignorant, but I’ve never participated in a book debate before, so I’d like to know if we’ll discuss the Introduction as well?
Since the introduction is so short, probably not. But, I have created a General Overview thread to allow people to share their thoughts as they are reading the book.

otseng
Savant

Post #5

Post by otseng »

The book debate has officially started. Chapter 1 debate thread has been created.