Postmillennial View of War, Resistence, Fighting

Getting to know more about a specific belief

Moderator: Moderators

isaachunter
Student

Postmillennial View of War, Resistence, Fighting

Post #1

Post by isaachunter »

The postmillennial view (as I understand it) is that the spreading of the gospel around the world will eventually bring about a theonomy and usher in the return of Christ. They say we are currently in the millennium and that Christ will come after the world has been christianized. I have a few questions about this and a hypothetical scenario:

1. Would a postmillennialist support war efforts to fight perceived evil (i.e. WWI/WWII)? Or would they historically be pacifists?

2. Would they support violence, physical fighting to bring about the kingdom (much like the Zealots did during the first century against Rome)? i.e. do they view the christianization of the world through spreading the gospel alone or would they resort to force to fight against perceived bad actors?

3. Would a postmillennialist join a counter-revolution against a government that was persecuting believers? Hypothetical: US sinks into civil war with the government persecuting christians and conservative states rising up to form militias to defend themselves and the union. Would a postmillennialist join in the fight or would they abstain?

I'm not wanting to necessarily debate this or argue about it. This is a question that came up during a discussion and I'm curious of the postmillennial view on the subject of warfare, since they would view Christ ruling through the church over the world.

isaachunter
Student

Re: Postmillennial View of War, Resistence, Fighting

Post #2

Post by isaachunter »

hodges7 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:59 am I am not here to argue or debate about this. Seem it would be a good topic to discuss. UP for this thread!Tampa Concrete Contractors
Unfortunately, I cannot find any postmillennialists who want to discuss this topic on this forum or elsewhere. There is another forum online that seemingly has numerous postmillennialists, but you cannot get a membership on there without a local church within their brand of denomination with a letter from your pastor, etc. It's kind of crazy. But, I guess it's still a free country.

I've stopped searching for an answer. Maybe I should email a few more churches in the near future.

isaachunter
Student

Post #3

Post by isaachunter »

[Replying to KellyP in post #4]

This is fine. But what is the actual view of the postmillennialist concerning war, resistance, and fighting? Specifically what would a postmillennialist opinion typically be about Christians taking up arms, forming militias against authoritarian governments who are persecuting them?

bjs1
Sage

Post #4

Post by bjs1 »

isaachunter wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:02 am They say we are currently in the millennium and that Christ will come after the world has been christianized.
This is not precisely correct. The most common post-millennial view is that the gospel will spread to the ends of the earth and bring about a time of peace on earth that comes from brotherly love among all people. When that happens we will enter the 1,000 year reign of Christian love on earth, and then Christ will return. However, that millennium has not yet begun.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin