Trinitarianism

Getting to know more about a specific belief

Moderator: Moderators

Williams

Trinitarianism

Post #1

Post by Williams »

Isn't trinitarianism a form of polytheism? How is the doctrine connected to Judaism and early Christianity? I just don't see evidence for it in scripture. Can anyone help? Maybe we can end up discussing it more in-depth in the debate forum.

#-o

theMadJW
Banned
Banned

trinitarianism = polytheism...NO QUESTION!

Post #31

Post by theMadJW »

Just SAYING it's "one" doesn't MAKE it so; THREE are taught to be God.

ThroughRightlyDeclare
Student

Re: Trinitarianism

Post #32

Post by ThroughRightlyDeclare »

Williams wrote:Isn't trinitarianism a form of polytheism? How is the doctrine connected to Judaism and early Christianity? I just don't see evidence for it in scripture. Can anyone help? Maybe we can end up discussing it more in-depth in the debate forum.

#-o
Trinity is not a form of polytheism.

Trinity is One God in Three Persons.

Both in Old Testament and New Testament, the Trinity is always present.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #33

Post by Goat »

ThroughRightlyDeclare wrote:
Williams wrote:Isn't trinitarianism a form of polytheism? How is the doctrine connected to Judaism and early Christianity? I just don't see evidence for it in scripture. Can anyone help? Maybe we can end up discussing it more in-depth in the debate forum.

#-o
Trinity is not a form of polytheism.

Trinity is One God in Three Persons.

Both in Old Testament and New Testament, the Trinity is always present.
Then, why don't the Jews accept the concept of the Trinity , if is was 'present in the Old Testament', because that is the Jewish scriptures.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

ThroughRightlyDeclare
Student

Post #34

Goat wrote:Then, why don't the Jews accept the concept of the Trinity , if is was 'present in the Old Testament', because that is the Jewish scriptures.
If we follow what the Lord Jesus Christ said,

John 8:44, "You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father's desire. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies."

Jesus Christ told the Jews that they belong to their father which is the devil, because they'd rather follow the devil rather than Christ Himself.

And those Jews at Christ's time do not believe in Him, because those High Priest Jews choose to become hypocrites.

But to be clear in this topic, for me the concept of Trinity is not just a concept but a fact.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #35

Post by Goat »

Goat wrote:Then, why don't the Jews accept the concept of the Trinity , if is was 'present in the Old Testament', because that is the Jewish scriptures.
If we follow what the Lord Jesus Christ said,

John 8:44, "You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father's desire. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies."

Jesus Christ told the Jews that they belong to their father which is the devil, because they'd rather follow the devil rather than Christ Himself.

And those Jews at Christ's time do not believe in Him, because those High Priest Jews choose to become hypocrites.

But to be clear in this topic, for me the concept of Trinity is not just a concept but a fact.
That of course does not answer the question.. John is not in the Old Testament. The anger of against the Jews merely shows that the AUthor of the Gospel of John wrote after a rather bad split between the Jews and the Christians... not what Jesus said or did not say.. nor does that passage address the trinity.

Sorry.. but your response to my question avoided the question.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

ThroughRightlyDeclare
Student

Post #36

Goat wrote:That of course does not answer the question.. John is not in the Old Testament. The anger of against the Jews merely shows that the AUthor of the Gospel of John wrote after a rather bad split between the Jews and the Christians... not what Jesus said or did not say.. nor does that passage address the trinity.

I am sorry but, what is your question again?

Thank you very much.

Wootah
Savant

Post #37

Post by Wootah »

No one argues the Father is God.
But if Jesus isn't God then his sacrifice is not worth enough to pay for our sins.
If the Holy Spirit isn't God then why leave that behind afterwards?

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #38

Post by Goat »

Goat wrote:That of course does not answer the question.. John is not in the Old Testament. The anger of against the Jews merely shows that the AUthor of the Gospel of John wrote after a rather bad split between the Jews and the Christians... not what Jesus said or did not say.. nor does that passage address the trinity.

I am sorry but, what is your question again?

Thank you very much.

It was 'why don't the Jews accept the concept of the trinity if the trinity is in the Old Testament'. ALl I got was quotes from the New Testament.

Are you saying the reasons that they reject the concept that they are from the devil?

Steven Novella

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #39

Post by McCulloch »

ThroughRightlyDeclare wrote: But to be clear in this topic, for me the concept of Trinity is not just a concept but a fact.
The word fact refers to verified information which are presented as objective reality. Please demonstrate that Trinity is fact.
Wootah wrote: But if Jesus isn't God then his sacrifice is not worth enough to pay for our sins.
Why not? If God really wanted to forgive us, why does he need a sacrifice at all?
Wootah wrote: If the Holy Spirit isn't God then why leave that behind afterwards?
God is holy. God it spirit. God is one.
Thus God is the Holy Spirit. The difficulty with Trinity with regard to the Holy Spirit is the opposite one as the the problem with regard to Jesus. How is it that God the Father is a separate entity from God's Holy Spirit?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Wootah
Savant

Post #40

Post by Wootah »

Wootah wrote:No one argues the Father is God.
But if Jesus isn't God then his sacrifice is not worth enough to pay for our sins.
Note I mean't to say:

No one argues the Father isn't God.