"God-fearing"

Getting to know more about a specific belief

Moderator: Moderators

simonjp

"God-fearing"

Post #1

Post by simonjp »

I've often wondered why Christians describe themselves, or other good Christians, as "God-fearing Christians". This seems to imply that someone only follows Christianity, or obeys its tenets, through a fear of God. This promotes a negative view of Christianity and its God.

Why not "God-loving Christians", or something similarly positive?

Slopeshoulder
Banned
Banned

Post #11

Post by Slopeshoulder »

I was taught in seminary that fear is better translated as respect. But I forget why.

AlexMapleoir
Student

Post #12

Post by AlexMapleoir »

VermilionUK wrote:
simonjp wrote:I agree that the OT is full of stories of the wrath of God, and reasons to fear him. However, many Christians like to downplay these stories and focus on the messages of love in the NT. So, why do they continue to be "God-fearing" and not "God-loving"?

Any Christians out there who want to help on this one?
I'm not Christian, but the God fearing comes from - in my opinion - the fact that the God of the OT is THE SAME GOD as in the NT - therefore they still have reason to fear him, not matter how hard they try to evade the OT.

Also, he has the power to demand death on a grand-scale, so thats plenty reason to fear him.
Yes, id say from that a sort of fear and by that an acknowledgment of belief, not necessarily that they absolutely find his fearful, but they belief in his power so to speak.

KillerOfTheSun
Student

Post #13

Post by KillerOfTheSun »

coop101 wrote:The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction. Proverbs 1:7

Just Read Proverbs chapter 2. after reading Proverbs then read John 5:39 that's why I fear the Lord.

Love and Peace
coop

Matthew 5:22 "But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire."

Christians like to call the unbelievers fool...but they would be breaking this scripture above.

ChaosBorders
Site Supporter

Post #14

Post by ChaosBorders »

Slopeshoulder wrote:I was taught in seminary that fear is better translated as respect. But I forget why.
Probably because of this:
It is however, important to note that in the old testimont, the word "FEAR" comes from a translation of the Hebrew word "יר�" which means also respect, see/look (as the translation of the word "לר�ות" is actually "to see") and honor.
Source: Wiki-Fear of God