"God-fearing"

Getting to know more about a specific belief

Moderator: Moderators

simonjp

"God-fearing"

Post #1

Post by simonjp »

I've often wondered why Christians describe themselves, or other good Christians, as "God-fearing Christians". This seems to imply that someone only follows Christianity, or obeys its tenets, through a fear of God. This promotes a negative view of Christianity and its God.

Why not "God-loving Christians", or something similarly positive?

Miles
Savant

Post #2

Post by Miles »

Considering what god has done in the past (See the OT) I think "God fearing" is quite apt.

simonjp

Post #3

Post by simonjp »

I agree that the OT is full of stories of the wrath of God, and reasons to fear him. However, many Christians like to downplay these stories and focus on the messages of love in the NT. So, why do they continue to be "God-fearing" and not "God-loving"?

Any Christians out there who want to help on this one?

VermilionUK
Scholar

Post #4

Post by VermilionUK »

simonjp wrote:I agree that the OT is full of stories of the wrath of God, and reasons to fear him. However, many Christians like to downplay these stories and focus on the messages of love in the NT. So, why do they continue to be "God-fearing" and not "God-loving"?

I'm not Christian, but the God fearing comes from - in my opinion - the fact that the God of the OT is THE SAME GOD as in the NT - therefore they still have reason to fear him, not matter how hard they try to evade the OT.

Also, he has the power to demand death on a grand-scale, so thats plenty reason to fear him.
When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
- Sherlock Holmes -

nygreenguy
Guru

Re: "God-fearing"

Post #5

Post by nygreenguy »

simonjp wrote:I've often wondered why Christians describe themselves, or other good Christians, as "God-fearing Christians". This seems to imply that someone only follows Christianity, or obeys its tenets, through a fear of God. This promotes a negative view of Christianity and its God.

Why not "God-loving Christians", or something similarly positive?
I think its the parental sort of fear. You fear their punishment, you fer letting them down. Stuff like that.

Tara04

God-fearing, is there any credibility?

Post #6

Post by Tara04 »

People love to adhere to their beliefs, the beliefs upon which they are born and bred. Fact has a liberal bias, so we can fill the absence of of proven science with religion. Religion has generally survived due to the "fear-aspect." It's easy to create a dualistic sense that your "being" is separate from your "soul". Of course when things in your life work out favorably, god has exercised his godly power. But when unfavorable events occur, where is your god? Religion, ultimately, is self serving, benefiting solely from adherence in numbers. Anything else, is simply fluff.

elle
Apprentice

Post #7

Post by elle »

What I was taught growing up is that it does not mean literally "fearing" as we understand the term today, but that it means "respecting." I think they backed it up with some kind of research text, but I can't remember which one it was so I can't say whether the idea had merit or not. It does make more sense to me though than a god existing that's supposedly taking care of believers in it inspiring fear in those same believers. It doesn't seem quite appropriate. Then again, I feel that way about a lot of things I read about in the Bible.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.--Carl Sagan

danus
Student

Post #8

Post by danus »

The term "God Fearing" refers to the respect we have towards God.

I agree it seems negative and does not paint a very pretty picture to unbelievers, but it is not used in the sense that we tremble with fear about God. The bible uses the same term in the same context of respect.

Keep in mind that that there are two camps of Christianity in terms of thinking of Gods "wrath" or "Punishment". One is that God punishes the wicked; which we seem to see emphasized largely in the OT, and the other is that the wicked sort of receive their own punishment due to the natural order of things.

For example, (and this is not a religious example, so please don't read into it, or make anymore complicated than it is)..... you have a boiling pot of water on the stove. If you touch it, it will burn you. So if you touch it and it burns you then you received your your punishment for touching it. That's the natural consequence for touching it. I'm sure most people would "fear" being scolded by a pot of boiling water, so an understanding of what could happen give you a respect for it. A person who knows that boiling water can burn you will not touch boiling water. Those who don't know....might.

That sort of explains the second camp of Christians in terms of "God Fearing", but what about the first? Those that think of God wrath or punishment. This camp believes that God sort of pulls the strings and punishes for wickedness, as if God sort of says "how dare you, I'll teach you! something like that. If we use the same example of boiling water, we might liken this group to one who has a phobia of boiling water. Someone who fears it completely and would never even boil water because of their fear of what it can do.

So, God fearing...is it a phobia of God? or is it a healthy respect for God? The majority of Christians and biblical scholars will point to a healthy respect for God.

eak09

Post #9

Post by eak09 »

simonjp wrote:I agree that the OT is full of stories of the wrath of God, and reasons to fear him. However, many Christians like to downplay these stories and focus on the messages of love in the NT. So, why do they continue to be "God-fearing" and not "God-loving"?

I personally believe that even though through the OT you do see the wrath of God, that "fear" is not only literally fearing God but a respect towards him as well. As for Christians downplaying the wrath of God, I believe they want to know God is forgiving and loving towards the fact that we are sinners, rather than being wrathful. Christians have to focus on both the Transcendence and Immanence (power and love so to speak) of God because without both, God is either seen as Powerless or without Forgiveness.

coop101

Post #10

Post by coop101 »

The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction. Proverbs 1:7

Just Read Proverbs chapter 2. after reading Proverbs then read John 5:39 that's why I fear the Lord.

Love and Peace
coop