Crucifixion

Getting to know more about a specific belief

Moderator: Moderators

blasf
Student

Crucifixion

Post #1

Post by blasf »

In absolute terms, what guarantees are there that Jesus was crucified?
And if so, why then crucifixion?
Why not another/different, less violent form of death?

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Re: Crucifixion

Post #2

Post by McCulloch »

blasf wrote: In absolute terms, what guarantees are there that Jesus was crucified?
None. Nada. Zilch. Nothing. Zip. Bupkiss.
It is the standard religious scam. They will let you know for sure after you are dead, or when the Lord returns on a cloud.
blasf wrote: And if so, why then crucifixion?
It was the standard method of executing criminals against the Roman State at the time. Crucifixion was in use particularly among the Persians, Seleucids, Carthaginians, and Romans from about the 6th century BC to the 4th century AD.

Makes for a really great and easily adaptable logo.
blasf wrote: Why not another/different, less violent form of death?
Could you picture this on the altar of a Church?

Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

blasf
Student

Post #3

Post by blasf »

lol!
Good comments.
The crucifixion was the form Jesus holy father in heaven chose, because he had observed the Romans crucify criminals, and told his holy child that would be a spectacular way to turn him into a proud COMMERCIAL item in the superstition fair.
And it came to pass, like a nice prophecy.

danus
Student

Post #4

Post by danus »

blasf wrote:In absolute terms, what guarantees are there that Jesus was crucified?
And if so, why then crucifixion?
Why not another/different, less violent form of death?
The crucifixion of Jesus is historically accurate, not just from a biblical stand point. There are sufficient records that back up the biblical account.

Not that it matters to a nonbeliever. It's like saying the Holocaust never happened because I was not there and all those photos could be fake and all the eyewitnesses are just making up lies.

Why crucifixion? As mentioned that was the method of execution by the Romans. If it was to have happened another way then it would have, but back to your question; Why Crucifixion? Answer - Because that's the way it happened.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by McCulloch »

danus wrote: The crucifixion of Jesus is historically accurate, not just from a biblical stand point. There are sufficient records that back up the biblical account.
The writers of the Gospels, who lived in Roman occupied Judea during revolutions where the common Roman punishment for rebels was crucifixion. It is hardly amazing that they could accurately describe the event. Crucifixions happened. That Jesus was crucified is less certain.
danus wrote: Not that it matters to a nonbeliever. It's like saying the Holocaust never happened because I was not there and all those photos could be fake and all the eyewitnesses are just making up lies.
Which eyewitnesses would those be? I mean for the crucifixion, not the holocaust.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

blasf
Student

Post #6

Post by blasf »

"The crucifixion of Jesus is historically accurate, not just from a biblical stand point. There are sufficient records that back up the biblical account."

It is not historically accurate.
You would be trying to sell a fake product.
In theology, the crucifixion was God's will to kill Jesus.
That means God is a cruel being.
To call Father to such an evil being is offensive.
There were available better and more humane forms of killing a son.
I can mention some to you, if you ask me.

Have a sunny afternoon.
Religion is a brain by the power of a weaker one.

danus
Student

Post #7

Post by danus »

blasf wrote:"The crucifixion of Jesus is historically accurate, not just from a biblical stand point. There are sufficient records that back up the biblical account."

Have a sunny afternoon.
Thanks I would love to have a sunny afternoon, but I'll have to settle with the rain today.

One thing I should point out to you is that in our belief Christ was God. In Christianity God is made up of 3 separate but equal entities that we call the trinity. God the father, God the son (Jesus), and God the Holly spirit. The 3 are separate but one.

So, with that God is the one who made the sacrifice. Further, it was mankind who killed Jesus.

Your assertion that God is a murderer, that he would kill his son does not wash with Christianity. I washes fine with with any other belief due to the disconnect in understanding. However, if the Crucifixion never happened as you say and there is no God or whatever you believe in that regard then why wast your time asking questions about something your sure is not true?

Many people down through time have attempted to stomp out Christianity. If that's somehow your goal; if you think you can come up with new theories on why it's not true good luck. So far Atheist are "0" in disproving God and "0" in true converts. Christianity is not here to prove God to atheist. Only God can prove himself to you. Christianity is here to help others see for themselves and welcomes new Christians everyday.

I do hope it is sunny where you are.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by Goat »

danus wrote:
blasf wrote:"The crucifixion of Jesus is historically accurate, not just from a biblical stand point. There are sufficient records that back up the biblical account."

Have a sunny afternoon.
Thanks I would love to have a sunny afternoon, but I'll have to settle with the rain today.

One thing I should point out to you is that in our belief Christ was God. In Christianity God is made up of 3 separate but equal entities that we call the trinity. God the father, God the son (Jesus), and God the Holly spirit. The 3 are separate but one.

So, with that God is the one who made the sacrifice. Further, it was mankind who killed Jesus.
But it was 'God the father' that needed the death of 'God the son' to forgive Man and protect man from God the father.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

danus
Student

Post #9

Post by danus »

goat wrote:
danus wrote:

Have a sunny afternoon.

But it was 'God the father' that needed the death of 'God the son' to forgive Man and protect man from God the father.
Gibberish. There is nothing Biblical about your statement, it makes no biblical sense whatsoever, and has nothing to do at all with the teachings or solid understanding of Christianity. It's of your own conception. .......Just so we are clear that you don't mix that thought in with what Christianity teaches. Even the most confused Christian would not make a statement like that.

blasf
Student

Post #10

Post by blasf »

Christians go for the reward their faith cynically promises, nothing else. It is opportunism mixed with fear.
In fact, a God with a holy character would have sorted out the originally small problem with a better solution.
That's my strongest conviction.
I don't buy the notion that the so-called [man-invented] Trinity is that product you or dogma sells.
It is TOO infantile and ridiculous to consider genuine.
Besides, the Christian Faith is a mediocre propaganda of fanatics throughout its 2000 years of existence.
No dignified God would resort to such an infamous and condemning form of plan, where a son had to be crucified to satisfy a father!
It is very brutal and animal.
If some God would go so insane, without a better plan, that God would be finished in judgement.