Why do some people believe mormons are not christian?

Getting to know more about a specific belief

Moderator: Moderators

Are mormons christian?

Yes
63%
No
37%

Total votes: 51

Kuan
Site Supporter

Why do some people believe mormons are not christian?

Post #1

Post by Kuan »

So, you can probably tell I'm Mormon and I'm willing to debate my religion or answer questions. The purpose of this thread though is that I have had many people tell me I'm not Christian even though I believe in Jesus. I'm wondering why that is. Thanks for any answers!

samscilley
Student

Is a Mormon a Christian

Post #161

Post by samscilley »

The name Christian comes from the Bible. The name Mormon comes from the book of Mormon. If you are a Mormon you would do the things that the book of mormon teaches. If you are a Christian then you do the things that the New Testament say's in the Bible. To love the Lord thy God with all your heart, mind and soul and to love thy neighbor as yourself fulfills all the Law and prophets. Jesus said if you love me you must obey my commandments. This is what it takes to love the Lord God. Jesus is the Lord God.

The Apostle Paul states that if anyone teaches a gospel contrary to the one that he preaches that they are accursed. Even If an angel came to you and showed you a gospel contrary to the one that he taught they are accursed.

Jude stated that the Gospel was once for all delivered to the saints.

The Lords Church never stopped existing. It has always been underground. It is God the Father that chooses who is and is not in His kingdom. No man or organization can take that away from you. When this life is over it will be the Lord Jesus that justifies or condemns.

The Scripture teaches that you will know people by their Fruit (Faith and Righteousness). Our faith comes from hearing the Scriptures and putting what you hear into action and thru Christ's Blood your obedience will result in righteousness.

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Re: Is a Mormon a Christian

Post #162

Post by 2ndRateMind »

samscilley wrote:
The Scripture teaches that you will know people by their Fruit (Faith and Righteousness). Our faith comes from hearing the Scriptures and putting what you hear into action and thru Christ's Blood your obedience will result in righteousness.
I am always somewhat suspicious of those who adjudge themselves, and their kith and kin and ilk, to be righteous. Righteousness is for God to determine, not us. Otherwise we are just talking self-righteousness, which is quite a different thing. And I think the fruits by which the virtues of a true prophet or saint can be known are not necessarily blind faith and self-righteousness, but simply the benevolent works of his or her followers, effected lovingly for the common good.

Best wishes, 2RM.
Non omnes qui errant pereunt
Not all who wander are lost

help3434
Guru

Re: Why do some people believe mormons are not christian?

Post #163

Post by help3434 »

[Replying to post 158 by 2ndRateMind]

Was this board the LDS Freedom Forum by any chance? They are a reactionary lot, more so than the average Mormon even.

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #164

Post by 2ndRateMind »

[Replying to post 163 by help3434]

No, it was the 'third hour' board. But I found them to be somewhat reactionary, also. Whatever, I discovered from the random sample of self-selected participants what I wanted to know, which is whereabouts on the spiritual spectrum Latter Day Saints occur.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Revelations won
Sage

Post #165

Post by Revelations won »

Dear 2ndRateMind,

You said "They don't believe in the redistribution of wealth from rich to poor, even if those poor were malnourished and starving, or to prevent that malnourishment and starvation."

Could you explain clearly, what exactly, you mean by that statement?

Thank you,

RW

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #166

Post by 2ndRateMind »

2ndRateMind wrote:
...My 'agenda' was to find out from them how the teachings of Jesus, as reported in the Gospels, actually affected their political allegiances and day to day lives.

It didn't go well. They don't believe in the redistribution of wealth from rich to poor, even if those poor were malnourished and starving, or to prevent that malnourishment and starvation...
Revelations won wrote:
Could you explain clearly, what exactly, you mean by that statement?

Thank you,

RW
I think the statement itself is pretty self-explanatory, my friend Revelations won. But to give it some degree of context, I suggested that the reason there are 1.2 billion or so people who are hungry and absolutely poor (income less than $1.25 per day) is that a few people (less than 1% of the world's population) are as rich as the rest of the world put together. I suggested that some redistribution of income might be in order, and that an appropriate target would be an egalitarian distribution of global wealth, such that everyone gets a net worth of $33,000, and an income of some $17,000 pa, which the world can afford.

This suggestion did not go down at all well, and I was accused of 'trolling', and being a communist.

I would link you the conversation in full, but, alas, I have been banned from the site. I wonder why.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Revelations won
Sage

Post #167

Dear 2RM,

Your answer may appear good on the surface, but is totally lacking in how all this would be cost effectively accomplished and all redistribution would actually be delivered to those needing it the most. For example, how do you deal with graft and corruption in the respective countries receiving aid? What is your plan to actually create a spirit of self reliance in the receivers of aid? I submit that if there is no self sustaining plan implemented, then this itself becomes a huge self perpetuating problem.

If you have a perfect redistribution plan please give in detail how and by whom it will be administered among the many underdeveloped countries.

By the way, I wonder how much of your personal income is providing the aid you suggest?

Regards,
RW

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #168

Post by 2ndRateMind »

Revelations won wrote: Dear 2RM,

Your answer may appear good on the surface, but is totally lacking in how all this would be cost effectively accomplished and all redistribution would actually be delivered to those needing it the most. For example, how do you deal with graft and corruption in the respective countries receiving aid? What is your plan to actually create a spirit of self reliance in the receivers of aid? I submit that if there is no self sustaining plan implemented, then this itself becomes a huge self perpetuating problem.
Hmmm. There are ways to get money to the poorest, without much of it being siphoned off into corrupt practices. You just need to be intelligent about how your charity spend is deployed. Three of my favourites are Deki, Send A Cow, and Tree-Aid. None of these initiatives encourage dependency, only industry. Tree Aid, however, also has the advantage of offsetting my carbon footprint.
Revelations won wrote:If you have a perfect redistribution plan please give in detail how and by whom it will be administered among the many underdeveloped countries.
The 'perfect' redistribution plan would be voluntary, motivated by Jesus' second commandment to: 'Love your neighbour as yourself'. But I recognise the real politik in the situation; if the super rich did love their neighbour as themselves, they would already not be super rich. So I would not rule out redistribution by democratically decided and democratically accountable taxation. Exactly how the proceeds are then divided becomes an objective problem for the government, not for me.
Revelations won wrote:By the way, I wonder how much of your personal income is providing the aid you suggest?
I live, more than contentedly, within the above constraints (post #166) I outlined, and still find a few pounds every so often to support the causes I care for. If I can do it, I do not see the obstacle preventing anyone else.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Avoice
Guru

Post #169

Post by Avoice »

[Replying to post 1 by Kuan]

For the same reason jews say christianity us wrong

Revelations won
Sage

Post #170

Dear 2nd rate mind,

Your latest wealth redistribution agenda seems way off topic from the original post. However if you are really interested in what the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is really doing in it,s humanitarian aid department you could find substantial info on the official church website.

Best regards,
Revelations Won