Why do some people believe mormons are not christian?

Getting to know more about a specific belief

Moderator: Moderators

Are mormons christian?

Yes
63%
No
37%

Total votes: 51

Kuan
Site Supporter

Why do some people believe mormons are not christian?

Post #1

Post by Kuan »

So, you can probably tell I'm Mormon and I'm willing to debate my religion or answer questions. The purpose of this thread though is that I have had many people tell me I'm not Christian even though I believe in Jesus. I'm wondering why that is. Thanks for any answers!

dianaiad
Site Supporter

Post #151

Post by dianaiad »

Ooberman wrote:
It's what humans do. It's "In Group/Out Group" behavior. It's the same impulse as racism or xenophobia.
This is absolutely true: if you wish to persecute someone, you must first make him 'other.' It's a universal law.[/quote]

I always find we often agree, Di. If it weren't for religious beliefs, we'd probably agree on most things!

As for proof that God doesn't exist? Easy: My definition of "God": Mythical creature that doesn't exist.

If you have another definition, I'll let you defend it... ;-)[/quote]
So...if you substitute your definition of "God" for the word in your claim that 'there is no God,' we get: "There is no ' mythical creature that doesn't exist'"

Hmmn.

Ooberman
Banned
Banned

Post #152

Post by Ooberman »

dianaiad wrote:
Ooberman wrote:
It's what humans do. It's "In Group/Out Group" behavior. It's the same impulse as racism or xenophobia.
This is absolutely true: if you wish to persecute someone, you must first make him 'other.' It's a universal law.

I always find we often agree, Di. If it weren't for religious beliefs, we'd probably agree on most things!

As for proof that God doesn't exist? Easy: My definition of "God": Mythical creature that doesn't exist.

If you have another definition, I'll let you defend it... ;-)[/quote]
So...if you substitute your definition of "God" for the word in your claim that 'there is no God,' we get: "There is no ' mythical creature that doesn't exist'"

Hmmn.[/quote]

It's a nice little Koan isn't it....
:eyebrow:

And, actually, if you really want to get into it. I also think God is an individuals personification of Goodness (for some people) or a personification of nature - so in this way God does exist, just not as a person.

So, depending on how we define it, God does or doesn't exist. Which is why, also, we can't lump atheism into one camp or another. It's not a static definition, but relies on the claim first.

A theistic hypothesis must precede atheism. And, it's fully reasonable to think some theistic hypotheses may even be true, and render some versions of atheism moot.
Thinking about God's opinions and thinking about your own opinions uses an identical thought process. - Tomas Rees

Hector Barbosa
Apprentice

Re: Why do some people believe mormons are not christian?

Post #153

Post by Hector Barbosa »

[Replying to post 1 by Kuan]

Of Cause Mormons are Christians. Isn't the definition of a Christian someone who believes in Christ's divinity or believe in his teachings?

I can not at all see how it can be argued that Mormons are not Christian. If Mormons are not Christians can you argue that anyone is?

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #154

Post by OnceConvinced »

Hector Barbosa wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Kuan]

Of Cause Mormons are Christians. Isn't the definition of a Christian someone who believes in Christ's divinity or believe in his teachings?

I can not at all see how it can be argued that Mormons are not Christian. If Mormons are not Christians can you argue that anyone is?
And there's the real bone of contention really. It seems no one, not even Christians themselves can agree on what makes a true Christian. We have had numerous threads here on the topic and get all sorts of different answers.

And then of course you have people claiming that ex-Christians were never true Christians to begin with.

If we were to reject every person that was ever accused of not being a true Christian, there would be no Christians.

I think the whole idea of a "true Christian" is nothing but a fantasy.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

Hector Barbosa
Apprentice

Post #155

Post by Hector Barbosa »

[Replying to post 154 by OnceConvinced]

And I would tend to agree with you, and the above is just one of many evidences of that.

Christians shoot themselves in the foot by arguing that Mormons are not Christians, for if they are not Christians, you can easily put up a argument that no Christian faith is true Christian as you point out. Good point!

In a way even by their own definition Christianity IS fantasy.

For if it was a REAL faith, it would be build on the spiritual power which Jesus himself supposedly had and his apostles too, and then they should be walking evidence of this faith and not need religion.

In fact there is nothing in the Bible which says that you need or even should have religion. There is also no mention of religion being in heaven.

So for Christianity to NOT be a fantasy, it need the spiritual faith power Jesus and Paul had. Otherwise it LITERALLY IS fantasy. Even the Bible itself teach this.

2nd Corinthians 3:6 " Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life."

Without evidence of this spirit, the letter or law kills! and that include killing any justification for religion.

Romans 3:28 "Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law."

Their religion, commandments or law has no power, justification or merit without faith to use the spiritual power, which gives EVIDENCE of its divinity.

Hebrews 11:6 "But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him."

Acts 6:8 "And Stephen, full of faith and power, did great wonders and miracles among the people."

There is countless of evidence of this in the Bible.

Revelations won
Sage

Are Mormons Christian?

Post #156

Post by Revelations won »

One respondent cited Acts 11:26 which states: "disciples were called Christians first in Antioch".

We should, however, remember that approximately 73 B.C. in the book of Alma Chapter 46:13-14 we find that the true believers in Christ were called Christians. O:)

samscilley
Student

Are Mormons Christians?

Post #157

Post by samscilley »

I have respect for any person who can prove from the Bible that they are indeed Christians. The problem I come across with most people that they cannot prove that they are a Christian. It does not matter what faith you are apart of, you can be Catholic, Baptist, Methodist Jehovah witness, Etc... If you cannot prove it based on the Bible (The place that the term Christian was first used) then you are not.

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #158

Post by 2ndRateMind »

Kuan wrote: So, you can probably tell I'm Mormon and I'm willing to debate my religion or answer questions. The purpose of this thread though is that I have had many people tell me I'm not Christian even though I believe in Jesus. I'm wondering why that is. Thanks for any answers!
I think Mormons (or, as we are now supposed to call them all, Latter Day Saints) are Christians. But, I also think they are a politically conservative cult. I've been discussing with them, recently, on a Mormon message board. My 'agenda' was to find out from them how the teachings of Jesus, as reported in the Gospels, actually affected their political allegiances and day to day lives.

It didn't go well. They don't believe in the redistribution of wealth from rich to poor, even if those poor were malnourished and starving, or to prevent that malnourishment and starvation. They thought climate change was a hoax, or just inevitable and not very important. They claimed that 'good stewardship' of our planet is our calling, but were unwilling to alter their lifestyles to stop the mass extinction of up to a million species (as forecasted recently by the UN). They think homosexuality is sinful, but had no real justification for that judgment. And they were extremely rude to me while I debated those issues with them. And, eventually, they banned me from the forum, without warning or explanation. Presumably, because they just grew tired of losing the arguments with me.

So, if Mormons are Christians, I have to say that I did not find them to be very good Christians, and certainly not the saints they claim to be. On the whole, I found them to be smug, complacent, misguided and ill-mannered.

Best wishes, 2RM.
Non omnes qui errant pereunt
Not all who wander are lost

Revelations won
Sage

Post #159

Post by Revelations won »

After reviewing many of the posts on this topic, it is self evident that very few if any, have an in depth understanding relating to the faith, belief and understanding of Jesus Christ as members of “The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints�.

The LDS Church traces its founding to April 6, 1830, when Joseph Smith and five other men formally established the Church of Christ.[1][2] The church was known by this name from 1830 to 1834.[3][4]
In the 1830s, the fact that a number of U.S. churches, including some Congregational churches and Restoration Movement churches, also used the name "Church of Christ" caused a considerable degree of confusion.[4] In May 1834, the church adopted a resolution that the church would be known thereafter as "The Church of the Latter Day Saints".[4][5] At various times the church was also referred to as "The Church of Jesus Christ",[6] "The Church of God",[6] and "The Church of Christ of Latter Day Saints".[3][4]

The official name of the church was given by the Lord himself in the following revelation:

On date of April 26, 1838
Doctrine and Covenants Section 115:

3 And also unto my faithful servants who are of the high council of my church in Zion, for thus it shall be called, and unto all the elders and people of my Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, scattered abroad in all the world;
4 For thus shall my church be called in the last days, even The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

If one really wants to dispel the cloud of ignorance on how members really understand and worship God the Father and Jesus Christ, I recommend reading “Jesus the Christ� written by James Talmage. This book and referenced footnotes, clearly sets forth the doctrinal views pertaining to our belief in Christ’s premortal, mortal and post mortal ministry.

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #160

Post by 2ndRateMind »

Revelations won wrote: After reviewing many of the posts on this topic, it is self evident that very few if any, have an in depth understanding relating to the faith, belief and understanding of Jesus Christ as members of “The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints�.
Why should we? 'Wherefore, by their fruits ye shall know them*.'

Best wishes, 2RM

*Matthew 7:20 KJV
Non omnes qui errant pereunt
Not all who wander are lost