Mormon Practices

Getting to know more about a specific belief

Moderator: Moderators

Kuan
Site Supporter

Mormon Practices

Post #1

Post by Kuan »

So were do you want to start Zzyzx? Should we continue with the early practice of polygamy? Just to clear up on another part of that, It was practiced also because of a large amount of widows who had no way to care for or move their families on the way to Utah and when they got there because their husbands had been murdered.

For those who dont know whats going on, me and Zzyzx were debating in a seperate thread, http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14180&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=, over the early practices mormons had, namely polygamy and moved the discussion here.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
- Voltaire

Kung may ayaw, may dahilan. Kung may gusto, may paraan.

Burninglight
Guru

Post #81

Post by Burninglight »

mormon boy51 wrote:I could give you spiritual ones but you wouldnt care and only claim it was my mind.
People can give spiritual reason to back up anything. Everything should be compared to the Bible if your going to use spiritual reasoning; otherwise, it is unsubstantiated! Paul said, "If anyone preaches a different gospel than what we have spoken unto you, let him be accursed." Mormonism is a different gospel; otherwise, there would be no problem accepting them as an accepted Christian religion. As it stands, it will never happen!
BTW, Mormons have the practices of wearing special underwear, what purpose does it serve, and how to you back this practice with Scripture from the Bible?

revelationtestament
Scholar

Post #82

Post by revelationtestament »

Goat wrote:
mormon boy51 wrote:I think both sides are making the argument from ignorance. Nec says:
P has never been proven therefore P is/(must be) false.
Katzpur says P has never been disproven therefore P is/(must be) true.
Except, the claim is 'the American Indians are the 10 lost tribes of Israel.'

Katzpur gave a very scientifically incorrect explanation about why the mtdna might not have that. However, she fails to acknowledge there are other genetic markers that would be found if the hypothesis that the American Indians are the 10 lost tribes of Israel. There are positive indications they came from northern Europe via Siberia. There are the lack of cultural indications, and the linguistics are totally wrong. That means there is positive evidence that they aren't.
Like Katzpur indicates, there has never been a claim that the American Indians are the lost 10 tribes of Israel. The Book of Mormon is mainly about descendents of Manasseh, but mentions that Jaredites had previously come to America. Further, they met up with at least one other group of people who had migrated separately.

As for mtdna evidence - it follows women, and Manasseh was a son of Joseph, who married a woman in Egypt, and her heritage is unknown, so one would expect to find mtdna of the tribe of Manasseh not to correspond with "Jewish" mtdna or descendents of the tribe of Judah. Proves nothing.