Do mormons really belive in those crazy things?

Getting to know more about a specific belief

Moderator: Moderators

gabbeTroop
Student

Do mormons really belive in those crazy things?

Post #1

Post by gabbeTroop »

Indians = lost tribe of Isreals
Magic underpaints = ....

sleepyhead
Site Supporter

Post #61

Post by sleepyhead »

Hello everso,

>>>Catholic religion said hell if you eat meat on a Friday now it is allowed. They also now regard as an "old fashioned view" that an unbaptized child will go to hell and now longer believe that. <<<

In the belief of that Catholic church, (at least while I was growing up), there were mortal and venial sins. venial sins would send you to purcatory and mortal sins to hell if they weren't confessed. I might be wrong but I don't think eating meat on friday was ever classified as a mortal sin. They believed that an unbabtixed baby went to limbo. I don't know what their present beliefs are.
May all your naps be joyous occasions.

atheist1
Student

Post #62

Post by atheist1 »

The quick answer is yes. My wife used to be a serious Mormon, did her two year mission etc. and knows the church inside and out. Most mormons will give you very evasive answers on their beliefs. My experience is that Mormons are good people, who believe their religion much more deeply than a typical Catholic (I'm a cradle catholic atheist) and they believe that the Catholic church is the church of Satan.

Mormons are a VERY insular group. They deal primarily with other Mormons. Because of the pressure to behave properly within the group, they are often unaware of the true history of their religion, and of the facts about their founder and the origin of the books. Because the members must tithe 10% of income (again, another indication of how seriously they take this religion) the church is VERY well funded, and is able to devote serious resources to eliminating any unhelpful or contradictory information from the view of their members. Most mormons will tell you, in all sincerity, that the negative stories about the faith are untrue, because that's what they have been told, and it is very uncomfortable for them to question anything, given the internal peer pressure. The extensive library they maintain actual removes negative information from stories to keep it from being seen.

As an atheist I have a lot more respect for Mormons than I ever had for the Catholics I grew up with. In spite of that, they, and all believers, are deluded dupes for the whole god and religion myths.

Oldfarmhouse
Apprentice

Post #63

Post by Oldfarmhouse »

Katzpur wrote:
McCulloch wrote:
sniper762 wrote: gabbie, if you want to learn more about mormonism, go to lds dot org and also contact your local lds church and invite th e missionaries to come see you.

no obligation, just learning
That would be a good place to start learning about Mormonism, but I suspect that you would get only one side of the picture.
And what would be wrong with that? What makes people think that the side presented by a practicing member of the Church would be less reliable than the side presented by their enemies? As a Mormon, I have absolutely no reason to lie about my beliefs, and I know more about LDS history, doctrines and culture than any non-Mormon you could talk to. If you wanted to learn the truth about what Catholicism teaches, do you think you'd get more accurate information by asking a Baptist? If you wanted to find out about Judaism, would you ask your questions of a Jew or of a Muslim? Why would you want to ask anyone but a Mormon what Mormons believe?
I can understand your point. Nobody can tell you what you believe -- you know for yourself what you do and do not believe. But there is something to looking at the beliefs and behaviors of a group as a non-member that can reveal a more objective understanding of it.

Sociologists who study religious groups often say that there are two kinds of people you will not get accurate information from when studying a group -- members and e-members. A member will never say anything critical about the group and an ex-member will only say bad things about the group. The truth, of course, lies somewhere in the middle. An objective outsider has no interest in promoting the group nor discouraging people from joining it. They can look at the group simply for what it is.

Don't get me wrong -- I do think that getting the perspective of both those who are happy within the group as well as those who have had a negative experience with it can be useful information to the overall observation -- but we also understand that this is subjective and the opinions of the individual.

rreppy
Student

Re: Do mormons really belive in those crazy things?

Post #64

Post by rreppy »

McCulloch wrote:
gabbeTroop wrote: Do mormons really belive in those crazy things?

Their beliefs about the lost tribes is really no more crazy than the beliefs about the plagues of Egypt, the Flood or the tower of Babel.
...Exactly! Both just as crazy! That's what we rationalists have been trying to tell you all along!

Burninglight
Guru

Re: Do mormons really belive in those crazy things?

Post #65

Post by Burninglight »

rreppy wrote:
McCulloch wrote:
gabbeTroop wrote: Do mormons really belive in those crazy things?

Their beliefs about the lost tribes is really no more crazy than the beliefs about the plagues of Egypt, the Flood or the tower of Babel.
...Exactly! Both just as crazy! That's what we rationalists have been trying to tell you all along!
What is crazy about the plagues of Egypt? God got the job done; didn't he? What is crazy is the Book of Mormon. A lot of it was plagiarized from the KJV of the Bible. I know because Joseph Smith copied the translational errors in the KJV lol. Not only are there ridiculous stories of lost tribes, but there are stories were people were enjoying using steel and glass barges before glass or steel was invented or discovered