Getting to know more about a specific belief

Moderator: Moderators

EduChris
Prodigy

Toward a better Christian-Muslim understanding

Post #1

Post by EduChris »

Redirected from this post
Murad wrote:...lets start by discussing what our religions teach.
The basics of christianity are God is one but is 3.
Jesus died for your sins.
Believing Jesus is God is the only way to salvation.

If you could briefly explain why you are a christian and why you believe its the correct path. And i will express my opinions and we can have a civil talk...
First I would say that the basics of Christianity are:

1) God is love
2) In Jesus, God became human in order to suffer with us and for us, so that as a result of having "walked a mile in our shoes" (so to speak) God can forgive us on the basis of his direct personal experience of what it is to be human.
3) Following the teaching and example of Jesus is the best way to experience salvation and to extend it in the world.

I am a Christian, and I believe Jesus provides the best path for two reasons. First, I experience a personal relationship with Jesus, something that I am aware of at the intuitive level. Secondly, I choose the Christian story because it seems most genuine and most true-to-experience when compared to other major world religions and worldviews.

Obviously these are somewhat general statements, but I will give you a chance to respond now and to ask additional questions.

EduChris
Prodigy

Post #21

Post by EduChris »

Murad wrote:...Let me play the devils advocate and say, it is misinterpreted, Ok then what does it mean?
In this particular case, the forensic science of textual criticism has shown that this passage is not part of the original Gospel of Mark. This passage was added later by some copyist and is not inspired Scripture; therefore, Christians may simply ignore it. Most modern Bibles either omit this passage or else they place it in brackets and provide a footnote to indicate that it is not part of the original text.

Christians can have confidence in their New Testaments because earlier generations did not choose to destroy variant manuscripts. Since we have such a huge paper trail, the forensic science of textual criticism can examine all the available manuscripts and work out to a high degree of precision what the original text was.

Muslims of course insist that their Qur'an is completely authentic, but since their leaders destroyed all of the early variants, there is no way for the forensic science of textual criticism to verify the faith claims that Muslims make.

Shall we move on to your next question or comment?
Last edited by EduChris on Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Murad
Guru

Post #22

Post by Murad »

EduChris wrote: In this particular case, the forensic science of textual criticism has shown that this passage is not part of the original Gospel of Mark. This passage was added later by some copyist and is not inspired Scripture; therefore, Christians may simply ignore it. Most modern Bibles either omit this passage or else they place it in brackets and provide a footnote to indicate that it is not part of the original text.
Awsome! So your the first christian on this website i've met that admits the Bible is not Holy.
If something is 'Holy' it is Divine, when something is Divine, It is without contradiction.
EduChris wrote: Muslims of course insist that their Qur'an is completely authentic, but since their leaders destroyed all of the early variants, there is no way for the forensic science of textual criticism to verify the faith claims that Muslims make.

So in your defence you are basically saying "Because your religious source is not authentic, Why cant mine also be".

Sorry but that is one ridiculous arguement for defence.

Also i challenge you to prove the Quran is not authentic, all you can do is show "claims", i can show obvious texts in your bible that shows the bible is contradicting itself and therefore is not holy, and therefore is not the word of God and therefore there is doubt in your belief.

Please tell me why Jesus prayed to God (LK 5:16), if he is God.
Why on earth would God need to pray to himself?

Is there not a clear distinction between Jesus and the Father. Jesus said the father is greater than him (Jn. 14:28) and yet you equate Jesus to be God.

(If christianity is monotheistic as you claim)
Can you imagine a singular God, that does not take orders from anyone, that he himself makes laws, can you imagine this God taking orders from someone else?
Ask yourself this
Who is greater than God to give orders to him?

Jesus did nothing on his own authority (Jn. 5:30, 14:31, Matt. 20:23)
Jesus did not speak on his own authority (Jn. 14:10, 8:28-29)

And the biggest give away.

Jesus denied the knowledge of the unseen (Mk. 13:32, Matt. 24:36)

Why would you turn the religion OF Jesus into a religion ABOUT Jesus.
Do the people think that they will be left to say, "We believe" without being put to the test?
We have tested those before them, for GOD must distinguish those who are truthful, and He must expose the liars.

(Quran 29:2-3)

----
Why Jesus is NOT God
---

EduChris
Prodigy

Post #23

Post by EduChris »

Murad wrote:...your the first christian on this website i've met that admits the Bible is not Holy...
If we're going to make progress in our mutual understanding, we're going to have to avoid putting words in the others' mouth. Can we agree to avoid doing this?

Murad wrote:...If something is 'Holy' it is Divine, when something is Divine, It is without contradiction...
What seems to be a "contradiction" to outsiders to a faith often will not appear as such to insiders to that faith, insiders who have their own explanations and nuanced interpretations. This works both ways, in that non-Christians find "contradictions" in the Bible that do not appear as such to Christians, while non-Muslims find "contradictions" in the Qur'an that do not appear as such to Muslims.

Murad wrote:...So in your defence you are basically saying "Because your religious source is not authentic, Why cant mine also be"...
No, what I'm saying is that Christians have the forensic tools to verify the accuracy of our texts; Muslims do not have these tools available to them, and so they must rely totally on faith. By itself, however, this doesn't say which text really is "more authentic."

Murad wrote:...Also i challenge you to prove the Quran is not authentic...
I do not desire to "prove" its inauthenticity. I simply make the statement of fact that Islamic leaders destroyed the paper trail of manuscripts, and so these manuscripts are no longer available to the forensic science of textual criticism. Therefore, the faith-claims made about the Qur'an cannot be independently verified.

Murad wrote:...Please tell me why Jesus prayed to God (LK 5:16), if he is God. Why on earth would God need to pray to himself? ... Is there not a clear distinction between Jesus and the Father. Jesus said the father is greater than him (Jn. 14:28) and yet you equate Jesus to be God ... Can you imagine a singular God, that does not take authority from anyone, that he himself makes laws taking orders from someone? ... Jesus did nothing on his own authority (Jn. 5:30, 14:31, Matt. 20:23) ... Jesus did not speak on his own authority (Jn. 14:10, 8:28-29) ... Jesus denied the knowledge of the unseen (Mk. 13:32, Matt. 24:36)
These questions all pertain to the Christian concept of the Trinity, which I already know you reject. I could try to explain it to you again, but I'm not sure that would be productive given our past attempts. Do you want to go over this again, or would you like to bring up another question or comment?

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #24

Post by Goat »

Murad wrote:
EduChris wrote: In this particular case, the forensic science of textual criticism has shown that this passage is not part of the original Gospel of Mark. This passage was added later by some copyist and is not inspired Scripture; therefore, Christians may simply ignore it. Most modern Bibles either omit this passage or else they place it in brackets and provide a footnote to indicate that it is not part of the original text.
Awsome! So your the first christian on this website i've met that admits the Bible is not Holy.
If something is 'Holy' it is Divine, when something is Divine, It is without contradiction.
EduChris wrote: Muslims of course insist that their Qur'an is completely authentic, but since their leaders destroyed all of the early variants, there is no way for the forensic science of textual criticism to verify the faith claims that Muslims make.

So in your defence you are basically saying "Because your religious source is not authentic, Why cant mine also be".

Sorry but that is one ridiculous arguement for defence.

Also i challenge you to prove the Quran is not authentic, all you can do is show "claims", i can show obvious texts in your bible that shows the bible is contradicting itself and therefore is not holy, and therefore is not the word of God and therefore there is doubt in your belief.

Please tell me why Jesus prayed to God (LK 5:16), if he is God.
Why on earth would God need to pray to himself?

Is there not a clear distinction between Jesus and the Father. Jesus said the father is greater than him (Jn. 14:28) and yet you equate Jesus to be God.

(If christianity is monotheistic as you claim)
Can you imagine a singular God, that does not take orders from anyone, that he himself makes laws, can you imagine this God taking orders from someone else?
Ask yourself this
Who is greater than God to give orders to him?

Jesus did nothing on his own authority (Jn. 5:30, 14:31, Matt. 20:23)
Jesus did not speak on his own authority (Jn. 14:10, 8:28-29)

And the biggest give away.

Jesus denied the knowledge of the unseen (Mk. 13:32, Matt. 24:36)

Why would you turn the religion OF Jesus into a religion ABOUT Jesus.
Then, you admit that the Quran is not holy either, since it has contradictions.. such as

35:1
Praise be to Allah, the Creator of the heavens and the earth, Who appointeth the angels messengers having wings two, three and four. He multiplieth in creation what He will. Lo! Allah is Able to do all things.

verses

6:100-101
Yet they ... impute falsely, without knowledge, sons and daughters unto Him. ... The Originator of the heavens and the earth! How can He have a child?
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

EduChris
Prodigy

Post #25

Post by EduChris »

Goat wrote:...35:1
Praise be to Allah, the Creator of the heavens and the earth, Who appointeth the angels messengers having wings two, three and four. He multiplieth in creation what He will. Lo! Allah is Able to do all things.

verses

Yet they ... impute falsely, without knowledge, sons and daughters unto Him. ... The Originator of the heavens and the earth! How can He have a child?
I wasn't exactly sure where you believe the "contradiction" to be, so I boldfaced the parts that appear to contradict each other. Did I find the "contradiction" you were talking about?

I'm pretty sure I know what the Islamic answer would be (and it's an answer I would be willing to accept on standard hermeneutic principles) but I'll let Murad speak for himself if he wants to.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #26

Post by Goat »

EduChris wrote:
Goat wrote:...35:1

verses

I wasn't exactly sure where you believe the "contradiction" to be, so I boldfaced the parts that appear to contradict each other. Did I find the "contradiction" you were talking about?

I'm pretty sure I know what the Islamic answer would be (and it's an answer I would be willing to accept on standard hermeneutic principles) but I'll let Murad speak for himself if he wants to.
Number 1.. Allah can do anything.

Number 2 Allah can not have a child.

Can allah do everything, or are there somethings that Allah can not do?
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

EduChris
Prodigy

Post #27

Post by EduChris »

Goat wrote:...Number 2 Allah can not have a child...
At the risk of stealing Murad's thunder, I'll suggest that the Qur'an is not saying that Allah would be unable to have a child; instead, it is asserting that the very idea of Allah siring a child is preposterous to the point that no one should even imagine that Allah might do such a thing. In other words, the text isn't speaking about Allah's inability so much as it is chastising Christians for believing that Jesus is the Son of God (though of course the Christian understanding of "Son of God" is very different from the Islamic understanding of the term).

Murad
Guru

Post #28

Post by Murad »

Goat wrote: Number 1.. Allah can do anything.

Well it depends, if you mean "Son of God" as me and you, i have no problem.
For example, Jesus said:
..my Father and your Father, and my God and your God.' (John 20: 17)
I am perfectly fine with this.

But when you say he is the 'begotten' or 'literal' Son/God, i have a big problem with that.

The Glorious Quran tells us:
Stop Saying, “Three� People of the Bible should not exaggerate. The Messiah, Jesus son of Mary, was only a messenger of Allah, his word he cast to Mary and a spirit from him. So believe in Allah and his messengers and stop saying “three�. Allah is only one. He is too transcendent and majestic to have a son. The Messiah is not ashamed to be a slave of Allah (4:171,172, 5:72,73).
It is not that he doesn't have the ability or power to, but certain things will not benefit his attributes.

For example, if i ask you, Can God Punish those that believe in him and reward the evil doers? Or, can God punish those that do not drink alcohol and reward those that do toxicate themselves with alcohol? Certainly not. Just like God cannot be spat on and mocked, just like God cannot be punished and tortured by his own creation.

Associating partners with Allah is the biggest sin man can do, infact many scholars agree no other sin can come close to it.
Lo! whoso ascribeth partners unto Allah, for him Allah hath forbidden Paradise. His abode is the Fire. For evildoers there will be no helpers. (Qur'an 5: 72)
I hope i answered your question Goat, if you want more understanding pm me and ill be more than happy to show you the Islamic concept of Allah.

EduChris
If we're going to make progress in our mutual understanding, we're going to have to avoid putting words in the others' mouth. Can we agree to avoid doing this?
I am not putting words in your mouth, im using logic and reasoning.
Let me give you an analogy, if i had a cup of fresh white milk(which is pure) would you drink it? Yes you would. But what if i corrupted the freshness of the milk and put a drop of pee in it, would you still drink it? I know i wouldn't, same as the bible, how can you put your 100% faith into it when there are known scientific errors and contradicitions, also when verses are added like you said.

What seems to be a "contradiction" to outsiders to a faith often will not appear as such to insiders to that faith
Isn't that why you created this thread? So that you can help muslims better understand christianity? You can either give answers or give opinions. You havn't even tried to answer 1 of my questions.

Ok, lets say i don't have an understanding of the 'trinity' like you do. Please do explain what the trinity is, and where 'Jesus praying' falls into it. Also many christians say water is similar to God, it has 3 forms, do you believe the comparison with water and God help us understand God better?
Do the people think that they will be left to say, "We believe" without being put to the test?
We have tested those before them, for GOD must distinguish those who are truthful, and He must expose the liars.

(Quran 29:2-3)

----
Why Jesus is NOT God
---

EduChris
Prodigy

Post #29

Post by EduChris »

Murad wrote:...I am not putting words in your mouth, im using logic and reasoning...
Logic and reason work in more than one direction. For example, around the world printing presses have produced copies of the Qur'an. And since human beings are responsible for these printing presses, at times "Qur'ans" have been produced with letters, words, and perhaps even entire verses or pages added or left out. At some point, presumably, the error(s) in these "Qur'ans" would be detected and subsequently discarded and replaced with corrected text. Now for me, the fact that some "Qur'an" somewhere was printed with these types of human errors does not (by itself) mean that the Qur'anic text is somehow "not holy." If this logic makes sense to you, then you should understand that human errors can occur, and human errors can be corrected, and the presumed "holiness" of the text, whether Qur'anic or Biblical, is not thereby affected.

Murad wrote:...Ok, lets say i don't have an understanding of the 'trinity' like you do. Please do explain what the trinity is, and where 'Jesus praying' falls into it...
Christians and Jews all believe in One God and only One God. Early Christians, however, were faced with the situation where Jesus said things and did things that only God could say and do, and yet Jesus was obviously human. Furthermore, Jesus was obviously in contact with his Father, and his Father was also God. And Jesus spoke of a "Spirit of God" in personal terms, a Spirit who was also Divine, but who was not Jesus and not the Father.

Faced with this seemingly confusing and conflicting information, Jesus' followers likely would not have continued to think anything more about these things after Jesus had died on the cross and was buried. But then Jesus rose from the dead, with a physical body that was unlike any other sort of body--a body that could be touched and felt, a body that had scars, a body that could eat food, but yet which could appear and disappear even within rooms that were shut and locked. Faced with this unexpected yet undeniable reality, Christians understood that their earlier concept of One "monochromatic" God, One "monophonic" God, had to be nuanced. The reality of Jesus life, death, and bodily resurrection meant that Jesus' words and teachings were true, and yet God is still One. These early Christians did not have the concepts and the categories to explain or even understand this, and yet it was as true to them as Jesus' life, death, and resurrection. God is one, and yet God is more mysterious and more wonderful than anyone could have imagined.

Murad wrote:...Also many christians say water is similar to God, it has 3 forms, do you believe the comparison with water and God help us understand God better?
Christians use a variety of analogies or illustrations or metaphors to help them wrap their minds around the concept of One God in Three Persons. Most of these analogies are more helpful to some people than to others. For myself, I think of the difference between the Jewish God and the Christian God as the difference between monaural AM radio and FM stereo, or the difference between monochromatic vision versus trichromatic vision. Obviously these are just analogies. In the same way that two-dimensional "flatlanders" would have difficulty understanding how mutliple distinct (two-dimensional) squares could somehow comprise a single (three-dimensional) cube, so also our finite human understanding strains to comprehend the infinite reality of the One True God.

Now of course I don't expect any Muslim to accept these things. What we can expect, however, is to increase our mutual understanding of each others' beliefs without falling into ridicule or attack mode, which doesn't really reflect well on either side.

Perhaps at this point you could explain your views on the Islamic understanding of human Free Will with respect to Allah's forenowledge?

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #30

Post by Goat »

Murad wrote:
Goat wrote: Number 1.. Allah can do anything.

Well it depends, if you mean "Son of God" as me and you, i have no problem.
For example, Jesus said:
..my Father and your Father, and my God and your God.' (John 20: 17)
I am perfectly fine with this.

But when you say he is the 'begotten' or 'literal' Son/God, i have a big problem with that.

The Glorious Quran tells us:
Stop Saying, “Three� People of the Bible should not exaggerate. The Messiah, Jesus son of Mary, was only a messenger of Allah, his word he cast to Mary and a spirit from him. So believe in Allah and his messengers and stop saying “three�. Allah is only one. He is too transcendent and majestic to have a son. The Messiah is not ashamed to be a slave of Allah (4:171,172, 5:72,73).
It is not that he doesn't have the ability or power to, but certain things will not benefit his attributes.

For example, if i ask you, Can God Punish those that believe in him and reward the evil doers? Or, can God punish those that do not drink alcohol and reward those that do toxicate themselves with alcohol? Certainly not. Just like God cannot be spat on and mocked, just like God cannot be punished and tortured by his own creation.

Associating partners with Allah is the biggest sin man can do, infact many scholars agree no other sin can come close to it.
Lo! whoso ascribeth partners unto Allah, for him Allah hath forbidden Paradise. His abode is the Fire. For evildoers there will be no helpers. (Qur'an 5: 72)
I hope i answered your question Goat, if you want more understanding pm me and ill be more than happy to show you the Islamic concept of Allah.

EduChris
I am not putting words in your mouth, im using logic and reasoning.
Let me give you an analogy, if i had a cup of fresh white milk(which is pure) would you drink it? Yes you would. But what if i corrupted the freshness of the milk and put a drop of pee in it, would you still drink it? I know i wouldn't, same as the bible, how can you put your 100% faith into it when there are known scientific errors and contradicitions, also when verses are added like you said.

What seems to be a "contradiction" to outsiders to a faith often will not appear as such to insiders to that faith
Isn't that why you created this thread? So that you can help muslims better understand christianity? You can either give answers or give opinions. You havn't even tried to answer 1 of my questions.

Ok, lets say i don't have an understanding of the 'trinity' like you do. Please do explain what the trinity is, and where 'Jesus praying' falls into it. Also many christians say water is similar to God, it has 3 forms, do you believe the comparison with water and God help us understand God better?
You are totally missing the point..

1) Allah can do anything (no restriction)
2) Allah can not father a child. (A restriction)

I am well aware that the second phrase was specifically put there to combat the Christian concept of the messiah... that is irrelevant to the contradiction.

Steven Novella