What is the difference between Atheism and Agnosticism?

Getting to know more about a specific belief

Moderator: Moderators

geniuscake

What is the difference between Atheism and Agnosticism?

Post #1

Post by geniuscake »

From what I've read and always understood is that Atheism is the belief that god(s) does not exist.

Is that accurate or is there a more detailed description for Atheism.

Filthy Tugboat
Guru

Post #2

Post by Filthy Tugboat »

There are many many different definitions of atheist and many different types of atheists. To generalize it can be reduced to two types. Strong(positive) or weak(negative) atheism. This can also be called gnostic atheism and agnostic atheism. They're easily defined.

Agnostic(weak or negative) atheism is the lack of belief in God(s). This is stating that you currently hold no belief that a God exists but also admitting that you honestly don't know if one does and that it could be possible.

Gnostic(strong or positive) atheism is the affirmation that no Gods exist nor can they. A strong atheist is one who not only lacks the belief in a God or Gods but also believes that ones existence is impossible.

I personally am apart of the former, I don't recognize any evidence that suggests God(s) exist(s) but I also don't deny that there is no evidence suggesting the impossibility of such a beings existence. I would also call myself ignostic because although I roughly understand the concept of a being setting the universe in motion I honestly have no idea what this being is, what it's limits are, what it's attributes or motives are or really anything about it. You say, "God." I say, "what?"

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by McCulloch »

Atheism is the negation of theism. Theism is the belief in a god or gods. Atheism is the lack of such a belief. Agnosticism is the negation of gnosticism, or knowing. Agnostics do not claim certain knowledge of God. Agnostics can be atheist leaning or theist leaning.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

atheist1
Student

Post #4

Post by atheist1 »

Some atheists, such as myself, believe there is no god and there are no gods. These are just myths made up over thousands of years with no basis in reality. They represent man's desire to understand and explain that which the science of the day could not, and it was more comforting to explain that something was due to a god, rather than admit "we have no idea why that happened or when or where it might happen again." Religions formed around the god myths as an opportunity for individuals to gain status and power over groups of people. These un-elected leaders have been as dangerous as any other un-elected leaders, such as dictators, and have led their believers to do horrific things in the name of the mythical gods. Believing in these myths was understandable at a time when science offered no alternative explanation, but today is simply a delusion that continues due to habit and fear of dealing with reality.

sleepyhead
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by sleepyhead »

Hello,

This is a little off topic but I have a question about athiesm and I thaught i'd just insert it here instead of making a new thread.
Does athieism mean you don't believe in an afterlife also or do they have another name for that? It seems to be we can have an afterlife without God, and a God doesn't necesarily mean there's an afterlife.
May all your naps be joyous occasions.

Filthy Tugboat
Guru

Post #6

Post by Filthy Tugboat »

sleepyhead wrote:Hello,

This is a little off topic but I have a question about athiesm and I thaught i'd just insert it here instead of making a new thread.
Does athieism mean you don't believe in an afterlife also or do they have another name for that? It seems to be we can have an afterlife without God, and a God doesn't necesarily mean there's an afterlife.
Atheism entails a lack of theism, I don't know of an afterlife or spirits but other people that are not theists may well find a way to permit these beliefs outside of a theistic position, so it is possible that an atheist could hold such beliefs.
Religion feels to me a little like a Nigerian Prince scam. The "offer" is illegitimate, the "request" is unreasonable and the source is dubious, in fact, Nigeria doesn't even have a royal family.

atheist1
Student

Post #7

Post by atheist1 »

I can't speak for other atheists, but I believe when you die, you die. There is nothing after. All the more reason to not let the religions and myth believers tell you how to live the one and only life you get.