Need a word for "Prescribing Limits to Systems of Doctr

Getting to know more about a specific belief

Moderator: Moderators

yourfriendrick
Student

Need a word for "Prescribing Limits to Systems of Doctr

Post #1

Post by yourfriendrick »

I think the word "anti-religion" doesn't really suit my purposes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antireligion
Antireligion is opposition to religion. Antireligion is distinct from atheism and antitheism (opposition to belief in deities), although antireligionists may be atheists or antitheists. The term may be used to describe opposition to organized religion, or to describe a broader opposition to any form of belief in the supernatural or the divine.
One might be against all organized religion, and yet believe in the importance of personal religion. For example, one might require every person to read Scriptures, but one might forbid any group from gathering to discuss Scriptures.

Now here is my problem: I think atheism and secular humanism are systems of doctrine. In fact, I think atheism is very rarely open-minded, so most of the time it is a dogma.

(In fact, loosely speaking, one might say, "Atheism is a religion," but that usually provokes someone to stipulate a definition of "religion" that excludes atheism.)

So if I believe that all social systems of doctrine and dogma ought to be limited, I believe in strict limits to churches, *and* strict limits to atheist groups.

Most people wouldn't call that "anti-religious."

How would one describe such an attitude? Theological anarchism? I would like to say I'm "anti-dogmatic," but if I were to say that, people could just say that I've reduced "dogma" to the personal sphere, and that I am dogmatic but anti-social. "Doctrinal individualism" might describe my attitude, I suppose.