What if any belief system am I in or closest to?

Getting to know more about a specific belief

Moderator: Moderators

Baz
Site Supporter

What if any belief system am I in or closest to?

Post #1

Post by Baz »

Anybody else uncertain what they are? I am.
Not that I am that much bothered about giving a name to my beliefs, but it would give me some idea if I’m eligible for certain debates or user groups. (not that I wouldn’t try to put in my penny’s worth if I fancied). :whistle:
There was a time when I called myself an Agnostic; I still believe that the truth about many things, especially god is unknowable but have moved more to calling myself a Theist.
Having followed this site for a little while I am wondering if Deist would not be a better description of my beliefs! :confused2:

Can anybody help?

A very simple run down of what I believe regarding god is;
God is creation and came about as part of the first anything.
God is and always will be present while anything exists.
God is everywhere and is the supreme intelligence.
We can communicate with god in some way, but god is not necessarily conscious of us doing so.
God has no influence on the physical word other than being the reason it works the way it does.
On a very personal level, If I have pain for instance, I think that god can help me understand why I have the pain and possibly guide my response to it but can no way change it’s being (same with anything else).

I suppose you could say that I think of god as the brain and I am a thought process but the physicality is the other way round.
I prey to my god often, usually for understanding and clarity of some sort; I find this helps me see things differently in some way.

So apart from confused; what am I?
By the way if the definition of a Christian could be just following the moral teachings of Christ I suppose I could be one of them, as well as many other religions.

Just a friendly note to some camps; I am not looking for any replies relating to deluded or insane.

To reiterate I have two questions;
1/ What if any belief system am I in or closest to?
2/ Is there anybody else that doesn’t really know what to call there self.

:?
\"Give me a good question over a good answer anyday.\"

Baz
Site Supporter

Post #11

Post by Baz »

McCulloch wrote:Baz, have you considered the possibility that your beliefs are not consistent?
:lol: Yes...

Personally I have no problem with being inconsistent or contradictory.
I believe that all decisions would be best taken individually on their own merits.
As it’s likely that every question would be slightly different or at least seen a different light the answers would be different.
I also have time-inconsistent preferences; what is a good answer for me today would not necessarily hold true tomorrow.
I do however feel that it is important to be honest to one’s self and others.
O:)
\"Give me a good question over a good answer anyday.\"

Slopeshoulder
Banned
Banned

Post #12

Post by Slopeshoulder »

Perhaps as we question more and gain in wisdom, the "label" gets longer, with more words, parts, qualifiers and hyphens. Then eventually we simply recognize what we are, what simply is. And then the labels slip away and we simply become our name and the name of god or reality. Or no name, just present silence, or present action.