Correct me if I am wrong [Adam and Eve]

Getting to know more about a specific belief

Moderator: Moderators

Ekabz

Correct me if I am wrong [Adam and Eve]

Post #1

Post by Ekabz »

Am I wrong in saying that, according to the Bible, Adam and Eve are the only two people god created.

Thank you. I may end up asking more questions here if anyone is willing to answer.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by McCulloch »

You are close to correct.

Adam and Eve are the only two people that there is a record of God having created. The writers of the Bible are silent on the topic of God having created any other humans, an omission which has caused some to speculate about other humans' creation, to answer the problem of where Adam and Eve's children found spouses, and who might have lived in the Land of Nod prior to Cain's arrival.

Lilith is also another ancient tradition of someone created other than Adam and Eve. Not Biblical, but consistent with the Biblical narrative. In Jewish folklore, from the 8th–10th Century Alphabet of Ben Sira onwards Lilith becomes Adam's first wife, who was created at the same time and from the same earth as Adam.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Ekabz

Post #3

Post by Ekabz »

Thank you for your reply. :)

I have heard of Lilith, but do not see her often in discussion.

Ekabz

Post #4

Post by Ekabz »

Sorry for double post.

If there were no other humans, and Cain was "banished" for slaying Abel; With whom did Cain have Enoch with?

catalyst
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by catalyst »

It's been written that Adam supposedly had 3 wives.

Based off the Biblical account of Adam and Eve, the tale of “Adam’s Three Wives� is an old aggadahic story designed to expand upon and explain the myths and stories of scripture. In this case, the legend of “Adam's Three Wives� arose as an attempt to explain why we read in Genesis 1:27 about Yahweh (יהוה) creating “Adam in His image…male and female He created them� and then later in Genesis 2 find a second account concerning the creation of a (apparently) second woman called Eve.

The explanation eventually reached was that Adam had had more than one wife. The woman from Genesis 1 would come to be identified as Adam’s first wife Lilith; formally a Canaanite demoness who managed to make a cameo in the book of Isaiah 34:14. Later the Midrash would add a third wife to the mix in an attempt to explain why Adam needed to be put to sleep before Yahweh could create Eve.

The best known version of the tale of Adam and Lilith comes from the 7th to 10th-Century text called the Alphabet of Ben Sira, though there are several variants. The tale of Adam’s third wife comes from the Midrash. The best known version of the story of Adam and Eve comes from, of course, the Bible’s book of Genesis, though if you are interested in variants, you should consult the 2nd-Century B.C. apocryphal "Life of Adam and Eve".

O:)

Adstar
Under Probation

Post #6

Post by Adstar »

Ekabz wrote:Sorry for double post.

If there were no other humans, and Cain was "banished" for slaying Abel; With whom did Cain have Enoch with?
Adam and presumedly eve lives for many years and has sons and daughters. Just because the bible only mentions cain and able by name does not mean they where the only childeren of Adam and Eve.

Genesis 5
3 And Adam lived one hundred and thirty years, and begot a son in his own likeness, after his image, and named him Seth. 4 After he begot Seth, the days of Adam were eight hundred years; and he had sons and daughters. 5 So all the days that Adam lived were nine hundred and thirty years; and he died.

So Adam was 130 years old when he fathered Seth Adam lived another 800 years having sons and daughters all this time. So adam lived 930 years 800 of which he was having children with eve.

Upon reading the account of Cains punishment it merely states that Cain had to endure a life of a vagabond this did not exclude him from having a wife and having children. So His wife would have been one of his sisters.

All Praise The Ancient of Days