Moderator: Moderators

sleepyhead
Site Supporter

Why do you believe we only live once?

Post #1

Post by sleepyhead »

Hello,

Jester wrote the following in holy huddle forum:

"For me, and I think for many, the frustration has been dealing with the tendency for some non-theists to challenge without making a case for an alternative worldview. It leaves the theist constantly on the defensive and, in my view, is not a balanced approach to seeking the truth.
I've tried debating this, but have become convinced that it is fruitless. Rather, I believe that we should politely refuse to debate anyone who challenges without offering a counterclaim. I feel that this would both relieve a great deal of this frustration and increase the quality of the debates that do take place."

How can people who believe in life after death also believe that we only come to earth once. Reincarantion is so much more logical imo. Anyway on what basis do you make the claim that we only live once?
May all your naps be joyous occasions.

riverslivnwtr
Under Probation

Re: Why do you believe we only live once?

Post #11

Post by riverslivnwtr »

sleepyhead wrote:Hello,

Jester wrote the following in holy huddle forum:

"For me, and I think for many, the frustration has been dealing with the tendency for some non-theists to challenge without making a case for an alternative worldview. It leaves the theist constantly on the defensive and, in my view, is not a balanced approach to seeking the truth.
I've tried debating this, but have become convinced that it is fruitless. Rather, I believe that we should politely refuse to debate anyone who challenges without offering a counterclaim. I feel that this would both relieve a great deal of this frustration and increase the quality of the debates that do take place."

How can people who believe in life after death also believe that we only come to earth once. Reincarantion is so much more logical imo. Anyway on what basis do you make the claim that we only live once?
Well there is a possible scenario where you might find some support for the idea of re-incarnation..even in the bible it is..
I've thought of it before and it is viable..to some degree.

It is found in Matthew 25:41 Then shall he say to them on the left hand, depart from me , ye cursed into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

to see that this way you'd have to think of this life in this world as hell.. :lol:

sleepyhead
Site Supporter

Post #12

Post by sleepyhead »

Hello riverslivnwtr,

The significance in (at least my version of) reincarnation as opposed to the one time only belief system is the belief that life is a learning experience as opposed to a test. It involves examining one's experiences to determine what lesson is to be learned. Your presentation presents life as a punishment. As such there really is no intrinsic benefit to your belief over the beliefs held by the one time only people.

Artie
Prodigy

Post #13

Post by Artie »

sleepyhead wrote: How can people who believe in life after death also believe that we only come to earth once. Reincarantion is so much more logical imo. Anyway on what basis do you make the claim that we only live once?
Sorry for not answering the question but since you believe in reincarnation I just wanted to recommend the books Journey of Souls and Destiny of Souls as the best books I have read on reincarnation. I think I remember the author Michael Newton also touched on religious aspects of reincarnation.

sleepyhead
Site Supporter

Post #14

Post by sleepyhead »

I had samples downloaded to my kindle. I'll look at them.

Artie
Prodigy

Post #15

Post by Artie »

sleepyhead wrote:I had samples downloaded to my kindle. I'll look at them.
Start with Journey of Souls. And please be aware that the books are full of details that might not seem to make sense on their own but make a coherent whole so please read the whole books.

Peg
Student

Post #16

Post by Peg »

Autodidact wrote:"Because the evidence does not seem to support any alternative hypothesis. It appears that consciousness is an emergent property of the brain, so it is logical to conclude that when the brain no longer functions, consciousness is no longer present.
this is very good reasoning, so simple its brilliant... but you will not have many agreeing with you

However, God agrees with you because he made this same information available through the wisdom of King Solomon over 3 thousand years ago

Ecclesiastes 9:5 For the living are conscious that they will die; but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all, neither do they anymore have wages, because the remembrance of them has been forgotten. 6 Also, their love and their hate and their jealousy have already perished, and they have no portion anymore to time indefinite in anything that has to be done under the sun

The holy scriptures never taught the idea of a life after death... it taught the simple truth that death is the opposite of life... a living person is conscious but a dead person is unconscious.

riverslivnwtr
Under Probation

Post #17

Post by riverslivnwtr »

sleepyhead wrote:Hello riverslivnwtr,

The significance in (at least my version of) reincarnation as opposed to the one time only belief system is the belief that life is a learning experience as opposed to a test. It involves examining one's experiences to determine what lesson is to be learned. Your presentation presents life as a punishment. As such there really is no intrinsic benefit to your belief over the beliefs held by the one time only people.
the fact is though, my point of view expressed here simply implies that one , continue to come back here till they get it right..for example if I were here before I have no recollection of the past life; but I do have a chance in this life to get it right, and hell is not as bad because very few commit suicide...now this is just conjecture here..for I do not believe in reincarnation..
:lol: :lol: :lol: