For kayky and SlowRoll only, please.

Getting to know more about a specific belief

Moderator: Moderators

SlowRoll
Student

For kayky and SlowRoll only, please.

Post #1

Post by SlowRoll »

I was not able to create a topic in the one on one section. If a Mod could help me out, that would be great, but if not then hopefully this works.

This is for kayky and myself as described in the title, please no interruptions. If you are reading this debate and have helpful info or insights specific to a point, feel free to pm me. (I will let kayky voice whether she wants the same)

So, addressing kayky now:

Would you mind starting with an overview of your beliefs?

kayky
Prodigy

Post #2

Post by kayky »

That is a very broad question. Perhaps it would be better for you to ask me specific questions. Then when you are satisfied that you know enough about my beliefs, we can begin to debate these ideas. I may have questions for you as well. That way no one is making false assumptions about what the other believes, and the debate will go more smoothly. Perhaps the moderators will move us to the head-to-head forum. Let's say you asked me this:

What do you believe about God?

I am a panentheist. This means that I believe that the universe is a literal incarnation of God. But God is also transcendent to the universe. The transcendent aspect of God remains a mystery to us as long as we remain in physical form.

The immanent aspect of God, however, can be accessed by human beings. This can be a life-transformative experience. I think it is important not to cling to human concepts about God. My personal experience of God has involved only perfect love and connectedness. So those are the only aspects of God I can speak of: God is love, and we are a part of who God is. I do not believe in an omnipotent God. I do not believe that God has the ability to intervene in human affairs.

Feel free to ask more than one question at a time.
Words are alive. Cut them and they bleed. --Ralph Waldo Emerson

Believing that religion is a botched attempt to explain the world is on the same intellectual level as seeing ballet as a botched attempt to run for a bus. --Terry Eagleton

kayky
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by kayky »

What do you believe about God?

Believing that religion is a botched attempt to explain the world is on the same intellectual level as seeing ballet as a botched attempt to run for a bus. --Terry Eagleton

SlowRoll
Student

Post #4

Post by SlowRoll »

Well I don't believe a God exists. There are so many definitions of God though. I just don't think there has been sufficient evidence for me personally to think there is a God. If I read you correctly, you don't believe in an anthropomorphic God, right? Me neither.

I'd like to ask, how long have you believed similarly to your current beliefs? I know many people's beliefs evolve over time, but what has been your history of belief?

kayky
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by kayky »

No, I don't believe in an anthropomorphic god.

I was raised a fundamentalist Christian; and by the time I was a teenager, I was very devout. I even attended a conservative Christian college. I didn't begin to question my beliefs till around the age of thirty. By that time I was a wife and mother.

I lost my faith, and it was very traumatic for me. The fear I experienced was intense because of how I had been indoctrinated to believe. This eventually turned to anger, and I was an atheist for a few years.

I found this to be a very unsatisfying way to live. So I began to read about different religions and spiritualities. I was especially attracted to Buddhism. Then I discovered the writings of Episcopalian Bishop John Shelby Spong. I found a way to return to Christianity without the literalism that had made it so untenable for me. I am now a member of the Episcopalian church.

What is your story?

SlowRoll
Student

Post #6

Post by SlowRoll »

It's a pretty short one. I was raised with a very religious upbringing. If I gave you 1 hint and 2 guesses, I can guarantee you'd guess the denomination.(the hint being: they have probably knocked on your door) I got married young, (no regrets there, thankfully) and a couple years after that, I realized that I had never questioned my instilled beliefs rigorously. I started reading a lot on various subjects. Early on I read extensively about cults and realized the group I was in fit many of the behavioral criteria.

Now I am trying to be open to learning as many things as possible. I'm fascinated with religious subjects, like why people believe. I have been reading many of the apologetics, and philosophy.

Now I'm talking to you!

micatala
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by micatala »

Moderator Comment

Given the OP and a report, I have moved this to the "Questions About a Belief" forum. It could potentially also go in Quesitons for a Specific User or for a Group. I am not sure if this is more of a debate thread or for discussion.

If it is meant for debate, you might PM otseng on getting a Head to Head started if that is what you intend and need help with that.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster.
" . . . the line separating good and evil passes, not through states, nor between classes, nor between political parties either, but right through every human heart . . . ." Alexander Solzhenitsyn

kayky
Prodigy

Post #8

Post by kayky »

Okay. I'm thinking either Mormon or Jehovah's Witness. I am not well-versed in either. What exactly do you want to debate about? The existence of God? The value of religion? Something else?

SlowRoll
Student

Post #9

Post by SlowRoll »

What is most probably true? That there are supernatural transcendent forces? Or the natural world explains all phenomena.

kayky
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by kayky »

I believe there has to be something more than "natural forces" going on here.

I believe in the findings of science. I think it is an amazing tool. But I don't see it as the only source of understanding.

There are certain questions that science seems unlikely to ever be able to answer. So then, are these questions to simply be ignored?

At some point in the history of the universe, dead matter came to life. I find this a great mystery. That this life eventually evolved to human consciousness seems against all odds. Why is there such a wide gap in intelligence between us and our closest primate kin?

What about religious experience? Is it simply a product of the brain, or is there really something larger than ourselves that can be accessed?