God or Allah?

Getting to know more about a specific belief

Moderator: Moderators

Burninglight
Guru

God or Allah?

Post #1

Post by Burninglight »

Why do Muslims say Allah and not God when speaking or writing in English? I can understand saying Allah if we are speaking in Arabic. But shouldn't we refer to God in the language we are speaking in?

Divine Insight
Savant

Re: God or Allah?

Post #2

Post by Divine Insight »

Burninglight wrote: Why do Muslims say Allah and not God when speaking or writing in English? I can understand saying Allah if we are speaking in Arabic. But shouldn't we refer to God in the language we are speaking in?
In the jealous-God religions it's best to have specific ways to idolize the jealous Gods in question lest their jealousy not be recognized.

For them to both simply refer to their God's as simply "God" wouldn't cause sufficient divisiveness. ;)

Even the Christians pin their God down in a box as being "The God of Abraham". So he's not truly without a reference name.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Burninglight
Guru

Post #3

Post by Burninglight »

Divine Insight wrote:
Burninglight wrote: Why do Muslims say Allah and not God when speaking or writing in English? I can understand saying Allah if we are speaking in Arabic. But shouldn't we refer to God in the language we are speaking in?
In the jealous-God religions it's best to have specific ways to idolize the jealous Gods in question lest their jealousy not be recognized.

For them to both simply refer to their God's as simply "God" wouldn't cause sufficient divisiveness. ;)

Even the Christians pin their God down in a box as being "The God of Abraham". So he's not truly without a reference name.
I think you missed the point of my question; besides, there is a difference between godly jealousy and human jealousy. You mention jealous gods, there is only one jealous God. His name is Jealous :lol:
God's name is YHWH, I am that Iam, but Islam doesn't address any of these. The God of Abraham is who they claim is their God, but how is it they don't know His name?
But my main question was, why don't they translate Allah to be the God in the English tranlation of the Quran? That is what Allah means in English the god! Therefore, Islam is an ARABIC RELIGION and not meant for the rest of the world

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #4

Post by Divine Insight »

Burninglight wrote: But my main question was, why don't they translate Allah to be the God in the English tranlation of the Quran? That is what Allah means in English the god! Therefore, Islam is an ARABIC RELIGION and not meant for the rest of the world
Well, like I say, the real purpose of these religions is to create division.

So they have no motivation to do anything that might potentially create harmony.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Artie
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by Artie »

It might be to differentiate between Allah and the Christian God. To many Muslims they are obviously different gods since Allah doesn't have a son and the Christian God has.

"The Quran states clearly that Isa was the result of a virgin birth, but that neither Mary nor her son were divine." Wikipedia

Qur'an
"39:4
Had Allah wished to take to Himself a son,
He could have chosen whom He pleased out of those whom He doth create:
but Glory be to Him! (He is above such things.)
He is Allah, the One, the Irresistible. (Yusuf Ali)

If Allah had willed to choose a son,
He could have chosen what He would of that which He hath created.
Be He Glorified! He is Allah, the One, the Absolute. (Pickthall)

6:101
Wonderful Originator of the heavens and the earth;
How can He have a son when He has no consort?
He created all things, and He hath full knowledge of all things."

Bible:
"New International Version (©1984)
And a voice from heaven said, "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased." Matthew 3:17

Burninglight
Guru

Post #6

Post by Burninglight »

Artie wrote:
It might be to differentiate between Allah and the Christian God. To many Muslims they are obviously different gods since Allah doesn't have a son and the Christian God has.

"The Quran states clearly that Isa was the result of a virgin birth, but that neither Mary nor her son were divine." Wikipedia

Qur'an
He is Allah, the One, the Irresistible. (Yusuf Ali)

Be He Glorified! He is Allah, the One, the Absolute. (Pickthall)

Bible:
And a voice from heaven said, "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased." Matthew 3:17
no

Burninglight
Guru

Post #7

Post by Burninglight »

Artie wrote:

"The Cran states clearly thatIsa was the result of a virgin birth, but that neither Mary nor her son were divine."Wikipediaa

Currann
He is Allah, the One, the Irresistible.Yusufuf Ali)

Be He Glorified! He is Allah, the One, the Absolute.Pickthallll)

Bible:
It might be the reason? #-o :confused2: I don't want a might be; I want to know. If you cannot give a reason, it is because Islam is an ARABIC RELIGION NOT MEANT FOR CHRISTIANS or anyone else but Arabs.

By the way, you are not right because Arabic Christians call God as they should Allah. Is there a Muslim than can answer this question. Allah Means the god so why in your Quranic English translations don't you refer to him as the god instead of Allah the Arabic term for the god?

IMO, it is not a religion meant for all the people of the world only for the Arabs.
Everything has to be in Arabic, and recitation have to as well and people have to go to an Arabic country at least once in there life. The Quran contradicts the Scripture that came before. Islam is not for the Christian or anyone but Arabs. The fact that no Muslim can answer, and that they don't translate ALLAH IN the ENGLISH Qurans MAKES MY CASE. :-k

Burninglight
Guru

Post #8

Post by Burninglight »

Divine Insight wrote:
Burninglight wrote: But my main question was, why don't they translate Allah to be the God in the English tranlation of the Quran? That is what Allah means in English the god! Therefore, Islam is an ARABIC RELIGION and not meant for the rest of the world

So they have no motivation to do anything that might potentially create harmony.
Divisions happens regardless of one's religion. Everyone has religion. Religion is what people do; that's their religion. Even atheism is a religion; it is the belief that God doesn't exist even though He does.

bernee51
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by bernee51 »

Burninglight wrote:
Divine Insight wrote:

Divisions happens regardless of one's religion. Everyone has religion. Religion is what people do; that's their religion. Even atheism is a religion; it is the belief that God doesn't exist even though He does.
Calling atheism a religion is like calling baldness a hair colour. Or no collecting stamps a hobby. Understand? Bet you can show why god must exist without quoting a religious text. What does that say?
"Whatever you are totally ignorant of, assert to be the explanation of everything else"

William James quoting Dr. Hodgson

"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two."

Nisargadatta Maharaj

YahDough
Under Probation

Post #10

Post by YahDough »

[Replying to post 1 by Burninglight]

GOD = ALLAH = YHWH = The Creator of Abraham

Now all we need is unified "Truth".

Jn:14:6: Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.