Mormon beliefs that bug me

Getting to know more about a specific belief

Moderator: Moderators

Robert H
Student

Mormon beliefs that bug me

Post #1

Post by Robert H »

We all laugh at Mormons because they have some crazy beliefs. The more I read the Bible, the more I get upset at the Mormons because they think they can just waltz in 1800 years after Jesus started His church and claim divine authority. They sure do a great job at emulating His church though... and everything in the Bible. It makes me wonder what are we as Christians really doing?

Things that we laugh at about the Mormons -

- The idea of prophets and apostles who run and govern the church of Christ with divine authority.
- Now this is just crazy talk. We know it happened in the Bible, in fact, we know it ALWAYS happened in the Bible. Why would God ever need to do that today though? That is just silly. No, I for one am for the rationale that God had some of his prophets write a little of their stories, then hand it down through many corrupt generations to come to us as confusing as it is, where millions would argue over it and form hundreds of different Christian sects.

- The concept of the Godhead, where three individuals acting in unison run the program for the eternal life of the Father's children.
- NONSENCE! Though the word godhead is repeatedly taught in the Bible, I won't fall for that now. I prefer the 3rd century doctrine of the trinity made up by power-hungry rulers of the emperor. Their concept of one essence conglomerate that comes and goes in a human body suit when it wants to appear as Jesus really sits deep in my heart.

- Polygamy
- Now this one I really laugh and laugh about. Who in their right mind would want to have more than one wife?! Hahahahaha! Then again, maybe there are lots and lots of chores to be done when running a farming community? I wouldn't know though, our country has made it illegal because they consider it gross and wrong. Sort of the same way the country felt about gay sex and interracial marriage. But I know Mormons didn't invent the idea, maybe Father Abraham or Jacob paved the way. Ah, in fact, the whole house of Israel, the sacred and blessed people of the Lord all practiced polygamy. The very blood line of the Savior Himself comes from a polygamist family. Without Jacob marrying his 4 wives and having his 12 sons, the line of Judah would have never existed and the Messiah would have never been born. But no, I must stick with modern western culture's concept of marriage and conclude that polygamy is evil and anyone from Old Testament times that did such a thing was evil. I personally think we should take steps to erase that terrible polygamist culture of the Hebrews from the Bible.

- Baptism for the Dead and Three levels of existence in the resurrection
- Now, this is nuts. Anyone who reads all of 1 Corinthians chapter 15 could have just copied these doctrines right out of it. The Mormons certainly did just that. Celestial and Terrestrial existences when we become resurrected.... Paul was just out of his mind when he wrote that chapter. Again, this chapter needs to be removed from the New Testament because it directly contradicts the modern Christian ideas of a heaven and hell and that you cant earn either.

Anyway, that is just a couple things I despise about the Mormons. They are just Bible copiers and they refuse to go along with modern Christianity that seems to have derailed form the Biblical teachings and formed their own Western doctrines. They just need to play nice.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Re: Mormon beliefs that bug me

Post #2

Post by ttruscott »

[Replying to post 1 by Robert H]

Cute...

but I can't find three levels of existence in the resurrection in 1 Corinthians chapter 15 so if you could explain...?

Peace, Ted
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

sleepyhead
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by sleepyhead »

Hello Robert,

>>>>We all laugh at Mormons because they have some crazy beliefs. <<<

I've noticed many of those like you who have undergone religious training under the auspicious of the LDS church have a tendency to promote their victim status. I was LDS for about a year but that was 40 years ago. In your opinion why is this tendency so prevalent among LDS members.
May all your naps be joyous occasions.

dianaiad
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by dianaiad »

sleepyhead wrote: Hello Robert,

>>>>We all laugh at Mormons because they have some crazy beliefs. <<<

I've noticed many of those like you who have undergone religious training under the auspicious of the LDS church have a tendency to promote their victim status. I was LDS for about a year but that was 40 years ago. In your opinion why is this tendency so prevalent among LDS members.
I can understand why you might have some contempt for people who claim to be 'victims' when they have not been. However, if they have been, then saying so is simply relating fact.

You know, like...if you were a Mormon in the early twentieth century and elected to the US Senate, the other senators wouldn't let you play with them? How about a more recent political race, where religion played a very big part in the non-election of Romney?

Now me, personally...I have had rocks thrown at me (still have scars), been refused jobs, been told many, many, many times that I'm going to hell,(once in a pamphlet stuck under my windshield at my husband's funeral, no less) been pushed, had my way physically blocked so that I could not enter an LDS church building....

I have this odd feeling that, having experienced what I have experienced personally, I have the right to say that Mormons have been persecuted. Shoot, the governor of the state of Missouri declared Mormons to be legal prey in a document that remained legal for close to a 150 years.

You know, facts.

officer2002
Student

Post #5

Post by officer2002 »

ttruscott wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Robert H]

Cute...

but I can't find three levels of existence in the resurrection in 1 Corinthians chapter 15 so if you could explain...?

Peace, Ted
1Corinthians 15:39-41 "All flesh is not the same flesh, but there is one kind of flesh of men, another flesh of beasts, another of fishes, and another of birds.
There are also celestial bodies, and bodies terrestrial but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another.
There is one glory of the sun(1), and another glory of the moon(2), and another glory of the stars(3): for one star differeth from another star in glory."

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by McCulloch »

officer2002 wrote: 1Corinthians 15:39-41 "All flesh is not the same flesh, but there is one kind of flesh of men, another flesh of beasts, another of fishes, and another of birds.
There are also celestial bodies, and bodies terrestrial but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another.
There is one glory of the sun(1), and another glory of the moon(2), and another glory of the stars(3): for one star differeth from another star in glory."
Except that biologically, humans are beasts. Our flesh is like the flesh of the other mammals, and not like birds and fish. The sun is just another star, something Paul did not know.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

officer2002
Student

Post #7

Post by officer2002 »

[Replying to McCulloch]

Paul was talking about the glory of our bodies at the resurrection. The sun appears brighter than the stars. It has more glory. The different glories are because we will be in different places.

postroad
Prodigy

Post #8

Post by postroad »

Which Mormons are we talking about. I thought the official LDS had abandoned polygamy?

dianaiad
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by dianaiad »

postroad wrote: Which Mormons are we talking about. I thought the official LDS had abandoned polygamy?
We no longer practice it, true, and one of the fastest ways to get excommunicated is to start practicing it. We do not, however, disavow ever having practiced it, or claim that those who did (when it was a part of church life) were in any way sinful.

postroad
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by postroad »

- Polygamy
- Now this one I really laugh and laugh about. Who in their right mind would want to have more than one wife?! Hahahahaha! Then again, maybe there are lots and lots of chores to be done when running a farming community? I wouldn't know though, our country has made it illegal because they consider it gross and wrong. Sort of the same way the country felt about gay sex and interracial marriage. But I know Mormons didn't invent the idea, maybe Father Abraham or Jacob paved the way. Ah, in fact, the whole house of Israel, the sacred and blessed people of the Lord all practiced polygamy. The very blood line of the Savior Himself comes from a polygamist family. Without Jacob marrying his 4 wives and having his 12 sons, the line of Judah would have never existed and the Messiah would have never been born. But no, I must stick with modern western culture's concept of marriage and conclude that polygamy is evil and anyone from Old Testament times that did such a thing was evil. I personally think we should take steps to erase that terrible polygamist culture of the Hebrews from the Bible.
By this reasoning we should take up adultery and murder because Christ's bloodline included adulterers and murderers?