How do you know Christianity is the right faith?

Getting to know more about a specific belief

Moderator: Moderators

ReallyGod
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:48 pm

How do you know Christianity is the right faith?

Post #1

Post by ReallyGod »

This is my first post, for it I would like to pose a general question. How do you know Christianity is the true faith? Please have some sort of evidence in your answer.

A sub question why do you believe in god?

i'm not meaning to target anyone I just want to hear personal opinions

User avatar
Divine Insight
Savant
Posts: 18080
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:59 pm
Location: Here & Now
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: How do you know Christianity is the right faith?

Post #2

Post by Divine Insight »

ReallyGod wrote: How do you know Christianity is the true faith?
Having been born, raised, baptized, and born again, in Christianity I had accepted that it was true. Mainly on the "faith" that my parents and the pastor of our church knew what they were talking about.

So I decided to teach the word of God myself and I studied the Bible so that i could understand precisely what God's word was. Even our preachers seemed to be confused so I could see they needed help.

However, the more I studied the religion the more I began to realize that it cannot possibly be true. And this became crystal clear with the more I learned.

So now I am completely convinced with 100% certainty that the Bible cannot be true verbatim. In fact, the whole issue of a literal or verbatim Bible itself became quite literally a joke.

At the very best the Biblical stories might have some vague abstract truth associate with them that would be basically be impossible to determine with any certainty.
ReallyGod wrote: Please have some sort of evidence in your answer.
Ironically once I realized the evidence I also realize that it's blatantly obvious.

Here's the evidence against the bible being any sort of literal or verbatim picture of God.

1. The bible stems from very ancients myths about the Israelites.

No one can even agree on the certainty of those ancient myths.

2. The original Judaism is unclear on their ancient texts and don't even agree among themselves.

3. Christianity is an offshoot of Judaism and has taken many different forms as well. And the original Jews do not even buy into Christianity.

4. Christianity has fallen into at least two major disagreeing factions: Catholicism and a myriad of protesting Protestantisms. Some people even point out that there are even other forms of Christianity that don't even fall under these two factions.

5. The Protestantisms continue to fall into more divisive sects to this very day and that process appears to be never-ending.

6. Shortly after Christianity broke off from Judaism some Muslim fellow plagiarized the whole shebang and created the Qur'an and Islam.

7. The plagiarized Islamic versions of this religion also continued to break apart into disagreeing Islamic sects.

~~~~

So the one thing we can know with absolute certainty is that there is no such thing as a "Verbatim" or "Literally true or infallible" Bible.

That's a historically given FACT.

~~~~

Therefore the Bible cannot possible hold any verbatim truth.

What it might potentially have to offer is some sort of subtle abstract picture of a creator that might be obtained by trying to discover what all of the above distortions of these myths might have in common.

However, I personally don't even bother with that anymore.

After I have realized that the Abrahamic myths are in shambles I began studying other spiritual and mystical philosophies and actually found Taoism and various forms of Buddhism to be far superior in their picture of what a "God" might actually be like. They also ring more true for me on an intuitive level.

My favorite to date is Taoism, but even Taoism has various forms so it's open to abstraction as well. I also favor Tantra Buddhism, but against this is just based on my own personal intuitive preferences.

ReallyGod wrote: A sub question why do you believe in god?
I have three main reasons for my continued believe in a mystical essence to reality. And a forth lesser reason.

1. I have always had profound mystical experiences and intuitions since very early childhood.

As a child I intuitively "knew" that there was never a time when I was not and there will never be a time when I will cease to exist.

Is this just my own intuitive imagination? It may very well be, I make no claims of absolute knowledge of anything. I'm just answering the question of why I believe in "god"

2. I also have scientific reasons for why I feel that there is a spiritual or mystical essence underlying reality. And yes, those reasons are associated with our scientific understanding of things like Quantum Mechanics, and the physical nature of spacetime as described by General Relativity.

3. I confess that I also find the idea of a mystical essence to reality to be romantically attractive and emotionally fulfilling. I'm not going to pretend that I don't.

Therefore if I am faced with having to guess whether reality is mystical or not mystical why not guess in favor of what I find to be most appealing? ;)

4. A purely secular atheistic materialistic accidental reality, sincerely make absolutely no sense to me. Neither is it the slightest bit romantic or attractive.

This forth reason is not really a reason to believe in mysticism, but it's certainly a reason not even bother with purely secular materialism.

I mean, let's face it, if purely secular materialism is true, then life is nothing more than a freak fleeting accident that will very shortly be over for me, and at that point in time it may as well have never even happened at all.

So I don't see any value in bothering with purely secular atheism. It has absolutely no value to me whatsoever. If true, then reality was just a short spurt of wasted time. Especially in the case of my particular life. This may not be true for someone who had lived a really great life, but my life has been rather mundane, and so for me, a single spurt of life would basically have been a waste of time.

So if pure secular atheism is true, then my life was a waste of time. Of course the same is true if mysticism is true. However if mysticism is true, it was only a waste of one of infinitely many incarnations. ;)

And that I can handle. 8-)

So there you have. My personal views on stuff. It's just a worldview. Not a proclamation of truth.

Except the part about the Bible being really screwed up. I think it's safe to say that part is true as I had described. I mean, history itself has that coffin pretty well nailed shut.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

YahDough
Under Probation
Posts: 1754
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:44 pm

Re: How do you know Christianity is the right faith?

Post #3

Post by YahDough »

ReallyGod wrote:
This is my first post, for it I would like to pose a general question. How do you know Christianity is the true faith?
"We" know because the Holy Ghost teaches and confirms the truth to us.
Please have some sort of evidence in your answer.
We have the testimony of other believers and the holy written and spoken rhema (word) of God.
A sub question why do you believe in god?
Do you mean "Why do I think God exists?" Or:
"Why do I trust in God?" The correct definition of "believe" means to trust.

I think (believe) He exists because there is no other logical explanation for everything I perceive including my own existence.

I trust (believe) in God because I think He wants me to. He has offered everlasting life to those who believe (trust) in His Son.
i'm not meaning to target anyone I just want to hear personal opinions
What's your personal opinion?

User avatar
ttruscott
Site Supporter
Posts: 11067
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:09 pm
Location: West Coast of Canada
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: How do you know Christianity is the right faith?

Post #4

Post by ttruscott »

ReallyGod wrote: This is my first post, for it I would like to pose a general question. How do you know Christianity is the true faith? Please have some sort of evidence in your answer.

A sub question why do you believe in god?

i'm not meaning to target anyone I just want to hear personal opinions
You seem to be using faith to mean belief but Christian faith at its roots is hope Heb 11:1 about things not proven, the divinity of YHWH, heaven etc.

So the personal proof it is 'right' is how much do you hope it is all true? Then as you live in that hope an try to understand the requirements etc, it changes to a conviction which then becomes a belief.

Peace, Ted
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

User avatar
Divine Insight
Savant
Posts: 18080
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:59 pm
Location: Here & Now
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: How do you know Christianity is the right faith?

Post #5

Post by Divine Insight »

ttruscott wrote: You seem to be using faith to mean belief but Christian faith at its roots is hope Heb 11:1 about things not proven, the divinity of YHWH, heaven etc.

So the personal proof it is 'right' is how much do you hope it is all true? Then as you live in that hope an try to understand the requirements etc, it changes to a conviction which then becomes a belief.

Peace, Ted
I agree that this is precisely how religions should work. They should be faith-based on hope.

But unfortunately that's not how they actually work in practice.

If you say that you hope that God exists and you hope that the Hebrew account of God is true, I would say to that, 'Fine. I too hope your hope comes true for you, but I personally don't hope that the Hebrew account of God is true"

And that should be sufficient. My hope that Hebrew folklore is not true should be on precisely the same grounds of respectability as your hope that it is true.

But that's typically not the way this religion works. At this point I would then be accused of "rejecting God" and "refusing to do God's will", or even refusing to "believe" that the Hebrews actually speak for God.

In other words, suddenly the religious person's "hope" that the Hebrew God is true has also become a "hope" that I'll be condemned if I don't also "hope" that the Hebrew God is true.

So evangelism and religious proselytizing doesn't fit in with the concept of "hope". On the contrary it is clearly a "belief". It's also a "belief" that God cannot be trusted to save people without the evangelist's help.

And this goes far beyond "hope".

Why would anyone "hope" that a God would condemn anyone? :-k
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

postroad
Prodigy
Posts: 2882
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:58 am

Re: How do you know Christianity is the right faith?

Post #6

Post by postroad »

Divine Insight wrote:
ttruscott wrote: You seem to be using faith to mean belief but Christian faith at its roots is hope Heb 11:1 about things not proven, the divinity of YHWH, heaven etc.

So the personal proof it is 'right' is how much do you hope it is all true? Then as you live in that hope an try to understand the requirements etc, it changes to a conviction which then becomes a belief.

Peace, Ted
So evangelism and religious proselytizing doesn't fit in with the concept of "hope". On the contrary it is clearly a "belief". It's also a "belief" that God cannot be trusted to save people without the evangelist's help.

And this goes far beyond "hope".

Why would anyone "hope" that a God would condemn anyone? :-k
And the concept that God had ordained a new hierarchical priesthood to atone for the sins of the lay people is even represented in the NT.

John 20:22-23

New International Version (NIV)


22 And with that he breathed on them and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit. 23 If you forgive anyone’s sins, their sins are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven.�

Artur Axmann
Banned
Banned
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 7:20 pm

Re: How do you know Christianity is the right faith?

Post #7

Post by Artur Axmann »

[Replying to post 1 by ReallyGod]

Just use the process of elimination and then you should know.

Numb2pencil
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:42 pm

Post #8

Post by Numb2pencil »

I do not have any concrete reasoning on why or why not Christianity is the right faith. But I can see why people who grew up on Christianity (or any major religion) want to keep believing and pass down the knowledge to their kids (family, friends, and even strangers) even if they themselves are not fully sure of their belief. I assume it's because what they experience as a Christian and the general knowledge that the belief spreads love and teaches the word to live a positive life. Now, some might argue that their definition of good and positive life might defer but what I meant was generalization of what's right and wrong (yes, you do not have to be religious to sense what's right and wrong. Most people have common sense and the intellect to know killing a person ((extreme example)) is not good nor positive), and want to pass the belief to the loved ones (Maybe they feel that being associated with group of people with similar belief will result in better outlook of life? I guess this could relate to parents forcing kids to church). I do not agree with some extreme methods that some Christians and other religious believers part take in but to a certain point, I can understand and relate with the very idea of wanting to share the experience.

User avatar
Yochanan
Student
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:33 am
Location: Morocco

Re: How do you know Christianity is the right faith?

Post #9

Post by Yochanan »

ReallyGod wrote:
This is my first post, for it I would like to pose a general question. How do you know Christianity is the true faith? Please have some sort of evidence in your answer.


1st sorry for the poor english
:|
The answer to your question is that i as a muslim don't belive that, i see many contradictions and non answered questions and confusion and non logical explanations even a child will reject if not influenced by parents and the way god is represented is a very human way i don't need to go to details to see that it's very far from logic the trinity itself strikes me from the beginning why when a pastor is asked about god and the trinity you can see that he's confused and trying and making a great effort to explain why i belive the answer should be simple crestal clear and easy for the mind i mean we should not need a college degree to understand it, for me and this is my answer to your 2nd question god is all his creation if you sit back for a few minuts you can see that every single creature i itself is perfect the balance in the universe is perfect we are perfect and complicated the free will is something to look at look at our planet if it moves one degree we freeze or we burn can man create something as perfectly simple as a fly a wing of a fly and we have tried woes all this things can be explain by a freakish accident! so we are here with no reason just smart apes and thats it i don't think so let me ask you this question why we all feel that there some greater power behind all of this no man can say i've never had that feeling i belive strongly in the presence of god a great almighty god perfect god not a human devised in 3 gods who died and needed to eat and has no human form a one and only god that we must submit to in the we he is pleased and i strongly belive that this is what all his messengers had to say including jesus let's worship god the one and only god a just god for all men not just for the chosen ones as the jews belive it sounds more like a social club to me (you cant be jew unless you're born jew and what about the rest of us! And the 1st rule of judaism is YOU DO NOT TALK ABOUT JUDAISM,,,i guess you can see the point
Peace and sorry againfor the poor english and please no offence its just an opinion

this-gospel
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:46 am
Location: Malaysia
Contact:

Re: How do you know Christianity is the right faith?

Post #10

Post by this-gospel »

[Replying to post 1 by ReallyGod]

I know by the Gospel (1Corinthians 15:1-8) of Christ Jesus which reveals the Power of God.

For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. (1 Corinthians 1:18)


Let me explain by giving you some verses from the NT and OT.


And I will take you to me for a people, and I will be to you a God: and ye shall know that I am the LORD your God, which bringeth you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians. (Exodus 6:7)

And the Egyptians shall know that I am the LORD, when I stretch forth mine hand upon Egypt, and bring out the children of Israel from among them. (Exodus 7:5)

And I will sever in that day the land of Goshen, in which my people dwell, that no swarms of flies shall be there; to the end thou mayest know that I am the LORD in the midst of the earth. (Exodus 8:22)

And that thou mayest tell in the ears of thy son, and of thy son's son, what things I have wrought in Egypt, and my signs which I have done among them; that ye may know how that I am the LORD. (Exodus 10:2)

Then said Jesus unto them, When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I am he, and that I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things. (John 8:28)

Now I tell you before it come, that, when it is come to pass, ye may believe that I am he. (John 13:19)


Praise the Lord!
And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come. (Matt 24:14)

http://www.whywontjesushealamputees.com/

http://www.this-gospel.com/

http://www.theostein.com/

Post Reply