Luke 4:25-27

Getting to know more about a specific belief

Moderator: Moderators

this-gospel

Luke 4:25-27

Post #1

Post by this-gospel »

What did Jesus mean? and Why the Jews got angry?

I don't have any clear explanation for the matter and would sincere like to know the truth. Please include Bible verse to support your answer.

Thank you!
And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come. (Matt 24:14)

http://www.whywontjesushealamputees.com/

http://www.this-gospel.com/

http://www.theostein.com/

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Re: Luke 4:25-27

Post #2

Post by McCulloch »

[Replying to post 1 by this-gospel]
Luke 4:25-27 wrote:But I say to you in truth, there were many widows in Israel in the days of Elijah, when the sky was shut up for three years and six months, when a great famine came over all the land; and yet Elijah was sent to none of them, but only to Zarephath, in the land of Sidon, to a woman who was a widow. And there were many lepers in Israel in the time of Elisha the prophet; and none of them was cleansed, but only Naaman the Syrian.�
What was the question?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #3

Post by Divine Insight »

this-gospel wrote: What did Jesus mean? and Why the Jews got angry?

I don't have any clear explanation for the matter and would sincere like to know the truth. Please include Bible verse to support your answer.

Thank you!
The Bible has been shown to be nothing more than a collection of myths, rumors, and superstitions. It's not uncommon for the Bible to be unclear. On the contrary there is very little contained within the Bible that is clear.

The ambiguity and confusion of the Bible can be clearly seen in the religions that it has spawned. Obviously, in the case of Luke you are referencing the New Testament of Christianity. Christianity is just one off-shoot of these foundational God myth.

There are many diverse and disagreeing sects and denominations of Christianity. You can be assured that there are also many diverse and disagreeing guesses as to what these particular versus might have supposedly meant. Apparently anyone's guess is as good as any other guess.

Having said that, scholars have shown that the authors of New Testament often used the Old Testament as fodder when writing their stories. Because of this you may be able to find something in the Old Testament that the authors of Luke were trying to imply. The important then when doing this is to realize that the authors who were doing this were seeking to make connections to support their rumors and superstitious beliefs.

This can be deceiving because this can appear as "prophesy fulfilled" when in fact, it's really nothing more than superstitious authors using a previous text as fodder for their superstitions. ;)

Overall the Bible has been confirmed to be false via it's own consistent self-contradictions. We know that Jesus could not have been the virgin-born demigod son of the God of the Old Testament anyway. The Old Testament itself has also been shown to be clearly false.

So asking for meaning about verses in Luke is like asking for meaning from passages recorded in Greek mythology. There may or may not be any rational meaning. Chances are that it's more likely just superstitious rumors and myths.

I wouldn't lose sleep over finding things in the Bible that have no clear answers. A person could end up losing quite a bit of sleep if they did that. ;)

If you are a religious person and want to join a church, the best thing to do is to go around asking all the different churches what they make of various verses, then join the church that makes the most sense to you.

Alternatively if you can't find a church that satisfies you, you are free to make up your own interpretations and start your own church. That's actually an on-going thing in Christianity. New churches and denominations are being created all he time.

Apparently Christianity has become quite a hobby for religious-minded people. There are tens of thousands of denominations already in existence, and the most popular direction that many modern day Christians are talking is to reject churches entirely and simply claim to have a "Personal Walk with Jesus". That way they can make up their own interpretations of everything from the unclear and totally ambiguous Bible.

That's probably the best thing to do in today's world. Just make up your own stuff. That seems to be the most popular trend in the modern world. Then you don't need to worry about disagreeing with all the other Christians. ;)
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

YahDough
Under Probation

Post #4

Post by YahDough »

Thank you!
You need to go back to the beginning of this chapter to understand why Jesus put everyone in an uproar. Jesus had just come back from a 40 day fast after His baptism and temptation in the wilderness. At this time Jesus was going to begin His ministry and knew who He was and what He was going to accomplish. He went to the temple in his home town of Nazareth and opened the book of Isaiah and read: (Luke 4:18----)

18: The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,
19: To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.
20: And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him.

And the key statement that got them in an uproar:

21: And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears.

Jesus was telling them all that He was the person this scripture was referring to,and the fulfillment of that prophecy from Isaiah. They were all indignant that a hometown carpenter had the audacity to declare himself the fulfillment of the prophecy. The rest of the dialogue, including 25-27 just added fuel to the fire.

Ancient of Years
Guru

Post #5

Post by Ancient of Years »

YahDough wrote:

Thank you!
You need to go back to the beginning of this chapter to understand why Jesus put everyone in an uproar. Jesus had just come back from a 40 day fast after His baptism and temptation in the wilderness. At this time Jesus was going to begin His ministry and knew who He was and what He was going to accomplish. He went to the temple in his home town of Nazareth and opened the book of Isaiah and read: (Luke 4:18----)

18: The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,
19: To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.
20: And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him.

And the key statement that got them in an uproar:

21: And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears.

Jesus was telling them all that He was the person this scripture was referring to,and the fulfillment of that prophecy from Isaiah. They were all indignant that a hometown carpenter had the audacity to declare himself the fulfillment of the prophecy. The rest of the dialogue, including 25-27 just added fuel to the fire.
To put it in context:
Luke 4

16 He went to Nazareth, where he had been brought up, and on the Sabbath day he went into the synagogue, as was his custom. He stood up to read, 17 and the scroll of the prophet Isaiah was handed to him. Unrolling it, he found the place where it is written:

18 “The Spirit of the Lord is on me,
because he has anointed me
to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners
and recovery of sight for the blind,
to set the oppressed free,
19 to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.�

20 Then he rolled up the scroll, gave it back to the attendant and sat down. The eyes of everyone in the synagogue were fastened on him. 21 He began by saying to them, “Today this scripture is fulfilled in your hearing.�

22 All spoke well of him and were amazed at the gracious words that came from his lips. “Isn’t this Joseph’s son?� they asked.

23 Jesus said to them, “Surely you will quote this proverb to me: ‘Physician, heal yourself!’ And you will tell me, ‘Do here in your hometown what we have heard that you did in Capernaum.’�

24 “Truly I tell you,� he continued, “no prophet is accepted in his hometown. 25 I assure you that there were many widows in Israel in Elijah’s time, when the sky was shut for three and a half years and there was a severe famine throughout the land. 26 Yet Elijah was not sent to any of them, but to a widow in Zarephath in the region of Sidon. 27 And there were many in Israel with leprosy in the time of Elisha the prophet, yet not one of them was cleansed—only Naaman the Syrian.�

28 All the people in the synagogue were furious when they heard this. 29 They got up, drove him out of the town, and took him to the brow of the hill on which the town was built, in order to throw him off the cliff. 30 But he walked right through the crowd and went on his way.
Matthew has the Rejection at Nazareth happen only after Jesus has traveled around a great deal. Luke has it happen almost right at the beginning of the ministry of Jesus. The references that the OP is concerned with (25-27) are instances in scripture of non-Jews being favored over Jews. Luke’s Gospel was written with non-Jewish readers in mind. Luke is reorienting Jesus from Matthew’s strongly Jewish depiction to a more universal one, as he does in many places.

The people in the synagogue are not angry with Jesus when he declares that the arrival of the anointed one, the messiah, is here. Instead they spoke well of Jesus and how he spoke. (22) Jesus is not calling himself the messiah at this point. (Just after this when he casts out a demon he tells the demon not to say he is the “Holy One of God�. ) The people did not get angry until he suggested that the anointed one, the messiah, will favor non-Jews over Jews. And wow did they get hot under the collar!
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.

William Blake