Atheism

Getting to know more about a specific belief

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
Beyonder
Student
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:13 am
Location: Beyond Realm
Contact:

Atheism

Post #1

Post by Beyonder »

People say its a religion and some say its not but what's your definition/opinion on this. :study:
Last edited by Beyonder on Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Beyonder
Student
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:13 am
Location: Beyond Realm
Contact:

Post #11

Post by Beyonder »

I mean he acts as if I'm converting him (Which isnt my goal at all.) but the way he makes it seems that Christians are bad and such.

User avatar
H.sapiens
Guru
Posts: 2043
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:08 pm
Location: Ka'u Hawaii

Re: Atheism

Post #12

Post by H.sapiens »

Beyonder wrote:
Divine Insight wrote:
Beyonder wrote: So we got 2 different opinions but one main subject?
If you are attempting to shove all atheists into a single box then you will most certainly fail miserably at that.

The term "atheist" doesn't define anyone.

Just as I had pointed out, even you are an atheist with respect to thousands of religions and their Gods, like it or not.

Christians try very hard to paint everything in black & white:

1. Either their religion is true or there is no God. :roll:
2. Either a person believes in the "Christian God" or they are an atheist.

It's just an attempt to create an "US verses THEM War". Which is what the Abrahamic religions are infamous for doing. The Abrahamic religions create "US versus THEM wars" even among themselves.

But in truth Christians are just as much atheists as everyone else. We are all atheists with respect to many theologies.

There are atheists who reject all theological claims. And those are the atheists that point out that they simply believe in ONE LESS GOD than you. ;)
I'm actually trying to get more information my friend is atheist and he stated he believe in "Human Evolution" and such and I'm trying to find out all the different types/views/definition of atheism because all I know of is that they don't believe in a god.
You need more than that?
Beyonder wrote:
suckka wrote:
Beyonder wrote: People say its a religion and some say its not but what's your definition/opinion on this.[/url]
Atheism, is no belief or faith in a god or gods. Life minus God. Nothing is put in its place. It is not a religion.
Explain more please.
Pretty simple. How do you look at Zeus? Just extend the same concept to one more god.

BwhoUR
Sage
Posts: 555
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:20 pm
Location: California, USA

Post #13

Post by BwhoUR »

Beyonder wrote:
Divine Insight wrote:
Beyonder wrote: So we got 2 different opinions but one main subject?
If you are attempting to shove all atheists into a single box then you will most certainly fail miserably at that.

The term "atheist" doesn't define anyone.

Just as I had pointed out, even you are an atheist with respect to thousands of religions and their Gods, like it or not.

Christians try very hard to paint everything in black & white:

1. Either their religion is true or there is no God. :roll:
2. Either a person believes in the "Christian God" or they are an atheist.

It's just an attempt to create an "US verses THEM War". Which is what the Abrahamic religions are infamous for doing. The Abrahamic religions create "US versus THEM wars" even among themselves.

But in truth Christians are just as much atheists as everyone else. We are all atheists with respect to many theologies.

There are atheists who reject all theological claims. And those are the atheists that point out that they simply believe in ONE LESS GOD than you. ;)
I'm actually trying to get more information my friend is atheist and he stated he believe in "Human Evolution" and such and I'm trying to find out all the different types/views/definition of atheism because all I know of is that they don't believe in a god.
Usually when someone says, I'm an atheist I believe in human evolution what they usually mean is: I am an atheist, I don't believe in God AND I believe in things like science and biology and that those things explain how we came to be. Creationism is what some Christians believe is how we humans came to be here. If he is young and just starting to get a handle on who he is and what he believes it explains his not being able to explain things exactly. Given time he will pin down what he thinks and who he is.

If you are good friends, you will accept his beliefs and his views and try to understand without making him feel like he has to know everything about everything or his beliefs are not real or good. It takes a while for us to have it all figured out, and then it takes a while longer after that. My views change as things are brought into my orbit so I reserve the right to change my mind. Everyone has that right. Good luck to you. :)

User avatar
Beyonder
Student
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:13 am
Location: Beyond Realm
Contact:

Post #14

Post by Beyonder »

Thank you for the reply.

User avatar
OnceConvinced
Savant
Posts: 8960
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:22 pm
Location: New Zealand
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 55 times
Contact:

Post #15

Post by OnceConvinced »

What is it with Christians trying to claim Atheism is a religion? Is it because they feel insulted when people refer to Christianity as a religion? So want to get back at those people?

I never considered myself Atheist until recently, but it was still obvious to me even before, that Atheism is not a religion. The only thing they have in common is that they don't believe in God. Nothing more, nothing less. There is nothing else that makes a person an Atheist, nor do they have any sacredly held beliefs. It may be that many of them tend to also believe in Evolution and stuff like that, but that's irrelevant when it comes to the moniker of Atheist.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.


Check out my website: Recker's World of Fantasy

puddleglum
Sage
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:35 pm
Contact:

Post #16

Post by puddleglum »

[Replying to post 15 by OnceConvinced]
The only thing they have in common is that they don't believe in God. Nothing more, nothing less.
Isn't that enough to qualify as a religion? Atheists do disagree on a lot of other issues but the same thing is true of the adherents of any religion.
His invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made.
Romans 1:20 ESV

User avatar
help3434
Guru
Posts: 1434
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: United States
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 2 times

Post #17

Post by help3434 »

[Replying to post 16 by puddleglum]

How not believing in God a religion anymore than believing in a God a religion. Theism, in of itself, is not a religion either.

User avatar
OnceConvinced
Savant
Posts: 8960
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:22 pm
Location: New Zealand
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 55 times
Contact:

Post #18

Post by OnceConvinced »

puddleglum wrote: [Replying to post 15 by OnceConvinced]
The only thing they have in common is that they don't believe in God. Nothing more, nothing less.
Isn't that enough to qualify as a religion? Atheists do disagree on a lot of other issues but the same thing is true of the adherents of any religion.
Do I need to post a definition on what Religion is? It's more than just a belief or a lack of belief. It also includes religious practices; things like communion, prayer, baptism etc etc. It includes doctrines and rules to follow. Where are the Atheists holy books and the rules that they must follow?

Would you call "not collecting stamps" a hobby? Would you consider "unemployed" as a career? I'm guessing you do.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.


Check out my website: Recker's World of Fantasy

puddleglum
Sage
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:35 pm
Contact:

Post #19

Post by puddleglum »

[Replying to post 18 by OnceConvinced]
Do I need to post a definition on what Religion is? It's more than just a belief or a lack of belief. It also includes religious practices; things like communion, prayer, baptism etc etc. It includes doctrines and rules to follow. Where are the Atheists holy books and the rules that they must follow?
Most religions contain many the practices you listed but they are not necessary for the existence of a religion. A religion is a belief regarding the ultimate truth about reality. Adherents of the same religion may express their belief in different ways or may choose simply to believe without any outward expression of their belief.
His invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made.
Romans 1:20 ESV

User avatar
OnceConvinced
Savant
Posts: 8960
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:22 pm
Location: New Zealand
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 55 times
Contact:

Post #20

Post by OnceConvinced »

Your definition does not line up with standard accepted definitions:
"the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods."
synonyms: faith, belief, divinity, worship, creed, teaching, doctrine, theology;
ie. Actual belief in a God. Atheism is an absence of belief in a god so does not fit with this definition

"a particular system of faith and worship."
Atheism is not a positiion of faith in fact it's an absence of faith. It definitely does not involve worship.
"a pursuit or interest followed with great devotion."
Once again Atheism does not involve devotion or following of anything. The only thing it is, is an absence of a belief of God.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.


Check out my website: Recker's World of Fantasy

Post Reply