Getting to know more about a specific belief

Moderator: Moderators

tam
Savant

Does Christ speak and how?

Post #1

Post by tam »

May you have peace!

A question that continues to be posed to me is with regard to my bearing witness to a living and speaking Christ. How does He speak? What does that mean? How can we test that?

I imagine that one reason the questions are continually posed to me is because I cannot provide the proof that some are asking me to provide. I can only provide evidence in the form of:

a) Personal testimony from having heard Christ
b) The written testimony of or about others who have heard Christ
c) What Christ Himself is written to have said on the matter

If none of the above are acceptable to someone, then I am not sure what more that person and I would have to talk about on this particular matter. We could hopefully discuss respectfully from a point of love, reason, logic. For those who are interested...

Christ said that His sheep would hear His voice.

My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me." John 10:27

"I am the good shepherd, and I know My own and My own know Me, even as the Father knows Me and I know the Father; and I lay down My life for the sheep. "I have other sheep, which are not of this fold; I must bring them also, and they will hear My voice; and they will become one flock with one shepherd.…" John 10:14-16

Written testimony about/from others who heard His voice, confirming the truth of what He said:

The Spirit told Philip, "Go to that chariot and stay near it." Acts 8:29

In Damascus, there was a disciple named Ananias. The Lord called to him in a vision, "Ananias!"

"Yes Lord," he answered.

The Lord told him, "Go to the house of Judas on Straight Street and ask for a man from Tarsus named Saul, for he is praying. In a vision he has seen a man named Ananias come and place his hands on him to restore his sight."
(Acts 9:10,11... and it continues)

There is Peter's vision telling him that he should eat foods that he considered unclean, and then after his vision:

While Peter was still thinking about the vision, the Spirit (Christ) said to him, "Simon, three men are looking for you. So get up and go downstairs. Do not hesitate to go with them, for I have sent them." (Acts 10: 9-20)

There are of course multiple examples from Paul. The entire book of Revelation is from Christ to John. There is a warning against hardening our hearts if we hear His voice.

As has just been said: "Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts as you did in the rebellion." Hebrews 3:15

Then of course there are the examples of Abraham, who heard, Noah, who heard, the prophets, who heard, Joseph, who heard, Daniel, who heard, etc, etc. Their faith is based upon the evidence of what they heard.

My own personal testimony

I did not always know that Christ spoke, and I did not always recognize that voice within me as being His. But someone else bore witness to a living speaking Christ, and it bothered me, lol. I had just ended a two year bible study with a certain denomination, and I did not want to get misled by man ever gain. But here was this person claiming that Christ spoke. If I believed this person, that they were from God, then what was wrong with me that I allowed myself to get misled yet again. On the other hand, what was wrong with me if this person did hear Christ, and I rejected them?

But soon into my dilemma (and my asking how I might know, even though I thought I was just asking myself) I heard:

Test WHAT this person is saying. Test the message. Do not pay attention to the person. Test to see if what this person is saying is true, or not. Then you will know who this person is from.

I still did not know this was Christ speaking to me. I just thought, "Oh, of course... that is what I will do."

So that is what I did. Along the way, I saw all these verses and examples and testimony that Christ does indeed speak, that God spoke also, though now speaks through Christ. In dreams, in visions, in direct words, in reminders, in opening eyes and ears to a truth that one might read, see, or hear. Once I realized that Christ is supposed to speak, I asked for ears to hear as well. Even though I did hear Him; I just did not know I heard Him. I needed to learn His voice and recognize Him.

I was asked how does He speak

He speaks in words. He speaks in visions (I have never had a vision that I am aware of). He speaks in dreams. He can also bring to mind something learned, read, or experienced in the past to help me see the truth in something He is teaching me. He has opened my eyes to something that is written, if I am reading the bible. He can and has read to me something that He is written to have said, so that I hear it in His voice. That was enlightening.

Sometimes when I am responding to something that someone else has asked, He will give me the words to say, or reveal something to me (as in open my heart and ears to understanding something) that I had not previously understood.

The language that He speaks is truth. He has never spoken anything to me that was not true, and that was not from love. And everything He teaches me deepens my understanding of love: His love and the love of His Father.

(As for testing the inspired expression... anything that is in conflict with what Christ teaches cannot be true. Also Christ (truth) comes from love (God), so nothing that He says will be in conflict with love. Especially since the law that is written upon our hearts in the new covenant is the law of love.)

I do not expect anyone to take my word for these things. I do not take the word of others for what they claim came from Christ. I explained above what I did, what I heard from Christ TO do.

If I have shared anything that helps anyone, then great. If not, then no problem. I am not the one people should be listening to if they are following or desiring to follow Christ... I can only point TO that One: Christ Jaheshua, the Holy One of Israel and Holy Spirit, the Chosen One of Jah. Christ, who is Himself, the faithful and true witness of His Father, Jah.

If one wants to know the truth of this matter themselves... then ask Christ. That is how one can confirm for themselves. Ask for ears to hear, and in the meantime DO what He has said to do, so that you prove yourself to Him. He does not have to prove Himself to us.

"If anyone loves me, they will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come and make our home with (in) them."

(Please note that He says that they will obey HIS teaching. Not man's teaching. Not religion or religious leaders, not Paul, not the law, or anyone or anything else over Him. If we love HIM... we will obey HIM. If we love someone or something else more, then we will listen to and obey that one/thing. Including if we love our religion more than Him, although we might not realize it at the time. Including if we think the bible is the Word of God, especially when even that book states that Christ is the Word of God; and Christ himself said, "You diligently search the scriptures because you think that by them you have eternal life. These are the scriptures that testify about ME, yet you refuse to come to me to have life.")

May anyone who wishes them be given ears to hear, to get a sense of these things, and to hear as the Spirit (Christ) and the bride SAY to you, "Come... take the free gift of the water of life."

Peace again to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #131

Post by rikuoamero »

[Replying to post 131 by tam]

Just to let you know, what you said in the last post there, in response to Divine Insight would have more credibility or make more sense if you had never said to me that you had to be told by a third party that Christ was trying to talk to you.
You go on about how people mislead other people, and things of that nature...and yet you had to be told by another person about Christ, that person (whoever it was) had to tell you that there is apparently a Christ of some sort trying to speak to you.

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

tam
Savant

Post #132

Post by tam »

rikuoamero wrote: [Replying to post 131 by tam]

Just to let you know, what you said in the last post there, in response to Divine Insight would have more credibility or make more sense if you had never said to me that you had to be told by a third party that Christ was trying to talk to you.
I simply heard someone else sharing that Christ spoke to them; that Christ does indeed speak. I tested that. As soon as I saw (from what is written, from Christ, and from reason) that indeed, Christ is supposed to speak, then I believed that He does speak, and asked to be able to hear also.

I already had been hearing Him, in truth, but I just had not recognized Him.

However, I am not sure what any of that has to do with what I wrote to DI.
You go on about how people mislead other people, and things of that nature...and yet you had to be told by another person about Christ, that person (whoever it was) had to tell you that there is apparently a Christ of some sort trying to speak to you.
We are supposed to be bearing witness to Christ. He, Himself, said: "You will be my witnesses..." Then people are meant to go to Him. So that they are all then following Christ.

Doesn't mean we cannot serve one another along the way. But we follow Christ.

I guess I'm not sure what your concern is here.

Peace to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy

bluedog
Student

Re: Does Christ speak and how?

Post #133

Post by bluedog »

[Replying to tam]

The scriptures are clear and unambiguous...God has no respect of person (Romans 2:11) if the Christ speaks to one Christian outside of that which is revealed in writing in the Bible...then He must speak to all, and as recorded in scriptures there must be signs and wonders that accompany that speech in order to confirm that it the truth coming from from God and not imagined....as that was the very purpose of signs and wonders, i.e., the miraculous. Such is based upon Biblical Example.

Acts 2:22, "Men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man attested by God to you through miracles, wonders, and signs which God did through Him in your midst, as you yourself know...." Heb. 2:4, "God also bearing witness both with signs and wonders, with various miracles and gifts of the Holy Spirit ...according to His own will."
2 Cor. 12:12, "Truly the signs of an Apostle were accomplished among you with all perseverance, in signs and wonders and mighty deeds...."

Why was revelation always accompanied by signs and wonders? So that ye might believe the truth being revealed came from God -- John 20:30-31

Not only were the miracles of Christ presented as proof of God's truth...but the hand picked Apostles of Christ confirmed all they were inspired to record with signs and wonders just as recorded in scripture, "....the Lord working with them and confirming the word with signs following, Amen." -- Mark 16:19-20

Where is the conformation of NEW REVELATIONS? Where are the dead that have risen, where are the blind from birth that have been made to see, where are the lame that have been completely healed? The Apostles of Christ used all these miracles to confirm the word of God they were inspired to reveal.

If God speaks to individuals today and directs them outside of the revealed word of God...where are the modern signs, wonders and miracles? The Apostles left no doubt they were speaking what God had revealed to them.....as proof they presented miracles, signs and wonders as conformation. -- Acts 15:12, Thess. 1:5, 2 Cor. 12:12, Heb. 2:4.

Proof is indeed available...if a true prophet of God has been Inspired by God. O:) I see no modern day profits (play on words) confirmed all I see is a quote, "God loves you...but send your seed money to my address...."

As for me....I shall depend upon that which was revealed and confirmed a couple of thousand years ago, the Holy Scriptures for they possess the following in order to make the man of God COMPLETE, "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, THAT THE MAN OF GOD MAY BE COMPLETE, THOROUGHLY EQUIPPED FOR EVERY GOOD WORK." -- 2 Tim. 3:16-17.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #134

Post by ttruscott »

tam wrote:
rikuoamero wrote:
No. The faith of all Christians rests upon Christ. He is the foundation cornerstone upon whom we build our 'house' (faith). That is what HE taught. Simple. And He never taught the 'trinity'.
Jesus never taught the Trinity? Is this another thing that the Christ that only you seem able to hear taught you?
Dear Rik, I am not the only one who hears the voice of my Lord. He said His sheep would hear His voice, and He certainly has more sheep than me.

If He had clearly taught the trinity, dear one, it would not have been and still be such a matter of great debate. It has been debated for almost two thousand years. Why, if He clearly taught it?
It seems that you have invested a lot on the word 'clearly.' Is there any doctrine that is taught so clearly that no one has ever created an oppositional interpretation? Pretty iffy, eh?

Satan can clearly create an oppositional interpretation to any and every truth of GOD and probably has and probably has taught it to someone too. Nothing is so sacred it cannot be twisted into a lie.

The Bible is not clear proof of doctrine for the main purpose of forcing HIS sheep to search for the truth IN HIM, not in the Bible, and only once they know HIM and can hear His voice, will they come to some of the truth of the Bible. It is sin that interferes with our spiritual understanding so until the discipline of suffering of Heb 12:5-11 is finished and we are trained in righteousness, all our understanding will be tainted...
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #135

Post by ttruscott »

tam wrote:
rikuoamero wrote:
Not a massive problem at all, dear one. These verses do not speak of a triune God. They speak of God, yes. They speak of Christ, yes. They speak of holy spirit, yes. But they do not say that these three are God.
And of course, your interpretation is the correct one, you're the one who's got it right, and everyone else who goes around and points to these verses and say "See! The Trinity is totally a thing!" are wrong?
It is not an interpretation Rik. The verse literally does not say that these three are God. The verse says these three are one. The RCC then interprets that as meaning these three are God.

But the verse does not state that. I am not the one interpreting here. I am simply reading what is there.
These words in bold are maybe the strongest indication that you are a bit off with the Spirit you follow.... I have heard them from Calvinists about Armenians and RCC. I have heard them from Armenians against Calvinists and RCC. I don't really remember any RCC claiming this but I wouldn't doubt it if told about it.

But it is so wrong. All words have multiple meanings and inferences. An interpretation refers to an explanation of the meaning of the teaching or verse. Every verse must have an interpretation because every verse has a meaning. To say you do not interpret but only read is to imply that you always only see the truth of GOD in the verse while lesser mortals 'interpret' falsely...

You [generic] either accept the Holy Spirit's interpretation or you accept a false interpretation but you do not ever get to a meaning without an interpretation.

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #136

Post by ttruscott »

May you and/or anyone who truly wants to know that One, be given the strength to keep asking, keep knocking, keep seeking.

IMHO this is not only absurd, but the very suggestion should be a grave insult to any intelligent person.

Why?

Well, if there exists a truly benevolent loving God a sincere person should only need to ask ONCE.
Revelation 3:20 Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me.

This verse says to most Christians that He is seeking US! All we have to do is hear His voice and open the door. Surely there cannot be a better metaphor for the seeking that is acceptance of Him entering? What can the person be doing who claims to be seeking but is never answered? In Christian doctrine they are wandering around the kitchen saying "Was that a knock? No, couldn't be. Now, where is that pesky door - I can't seem to find it when I think I hear a knock." then shouting down the cellar steps, "Are you there, Jesus? Can you hear me now?"

In other words, no matter how much emotional sincerity is claimed, if there was no answer then the fault is not HIS. But no worries mate, He keeps knocking until the acceptance to let Him in is there.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #137

Post by ttruscott »

rikuoamero wrote: [Replying to post 91 by tam]
No wise King surrounds Himself with people who do not love Him (which will including loving his Kingdom and the subjects of that Kingdom, and all those that HE loves), and who would not keep His edicts
Have to disagree with you there. If I were a king (or more precisely, a dictator), I would have in my court at least one person who does not like me at all. One who in his heart thinks of me as an enemy. However, I would hold his family, friends and other loved ones hostage. I would arrange things such that if I die or am overthrown, they die too (and in quite a horrible fashion too).
I would task this person with keeping me safe, to watching out for my other enemies. Given that he himself is an enemy, even if only in heart, he would know and understand how my other enemies think. He would understand how they would plot and plan. He would look for vulnerabilities in my defenses.

I'm going to guess that you're not used to thinking like this. I am. I've studied the great leaders of history, and have often pondered what I would do better than if ever I a leader.
Hmmm, the first rule for all dictators and world conquerors that I remember was:

1. Never write down your plan or any part of your plan and leave it lying about.

Peds nurse
Site Supporter

Post #138

Post by Peds nurse »

[Replying to post 1 by tam]

Hi Tam!!

Your post is very good and I appreciate the honesty in which we can discuss this issue from both sides of the coin.

I personally, hear from God quite a bit. It comes in the form of a prompting of a thought, His word, or someone else's experience that speaks to me personally. It also comes to me through obedience to Him. I cannot prove to someone that it is God's voice, at least not something that can be scientifically tested. It can, or at least I hope, be proven in the way I live my life and love His people.

Have a great evening!

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #139

Post by ttruscott »

bluedog wrote: [Replying to tam]

The scriptures are clear and unambiguous...God has no respect of person (Romans 2:11) if the Christ speaks to one Christian outside of that which is revealed in writing in the Bible...then He must speak to all,
That is not what the verse is talking about as context proves: Rom 2:9 There will be trouble and distress for every human being who does evil: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile; 10 but glory, honor and peace for everyone who does good: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. 11 For God does not show favoritism. between Jew and Gentile or favoritism to a man HE likes who sins. So much for claiming clarity and unambiguity.

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #140

Post by rikuoamero »

[Replying to post 135 by ttruscott]

I'm scared. I actually fully agree with ted? :shock:

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense