Getting to know more about a specific belief

Moderator: Moderators

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Jehovah's Witnesses

Post #1

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Hello Jehovah's Witnesses, here's hopin' all's well in y'all's world.
'Cept that as an atheist, maybe I hope y'all don't catch on too much :wave:

Please note I ain't got the graces of a goat, but I got me the curiosity of a cat.

Do the Jehovah's Witnesses vote their "religious beliefs" (as opposed to the normal stuff where ya just think it's a good way to go whether Jehovah says so or not)?...

Is there some sort of "Well me, Jehovah's Witness I am, I don't so much fret this notion of Jehovah's, as I'm willing to bend a bit, in hopes my goodwill might come back to me" (where such goodwill is itself right and good)?

Heck, I hate to come across as stupid, even if it's too late, but do y'all even vote? < On that, I am aware y'all were important in me not having to pledge me no goofy pledge to a nation that declares I trust in a God I can't even show exists. I sure 'preciate y'all for that'n, and I joined the Army sorta to help in all that.

On the blood transfusion deal, is there any leeway for a parent who's just horror stricken at the thought of their child dying, even if they're headin' to 'em a better place? If I'm a Jehovah's Witness in each and every other individual, mi-nute detail of my life, only I can't cotton to that'n, how's that work?

Is there something y'all need to say, that helps us to better understand y'all? Tell it.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses

Post #2

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Hello there!
JoeyKnothead wrote: Hello Jehovah's Witnesses, here's hopin' all's well in y'all's world.
'Cept that as an atheist, maybe I hope y'all don't catch on too much :wave:

Please note I ain't got the graces of a goat, but I got me the curiosity of a cat.
I have to admit I get the gist of what you are saying but sometimes some of the expressions are a little obscure for me (I'm British) so if I misunderstand anything just point it out, okay?
JoeyKnothead wrote:Do the Jehovah's Witnesses vote their "religious beliefs" (as opposed to the normal stuff where ya just think it's a good way to go whether Jehovah says so or not)?....
Jehovah's Witnesses base their beliefs on the bible. Each individual studies the bible and decides for themselves if they accept the JW explanation or not. No vote necessary. Our organization is not democratic in structure (its theocratic, you might say hierarchical) so official bible based beliefs are presented by a governing body in our literature. We don't vote them in or out (we only decide if we accept them or not on an individual basis).

JW have no objection to the physical process of voting (we'll vote for minor things like to change the curtains in our "churches" or to send some money to a relief fund. But we are POLITICALLY neutral so we don't participate in a political process.
JoeyKnothead wrote:
Is there some sort of "Well me, Jehovah's Witness I am, I don't so much fret this notion of Jehovah's, as I'm willing to bend a bit, in hopes my goodwill might come back to me" (where such goodwill is itself right and good)?
Hmm... I'm afraid I don't quite understand this part. Is it a question or just a comment? If it's a question could you maybe rephrase it more clearly. Sorry.

JoeyKnothead wrote:Heck, I hate to come across as stupid, even if it's too late, but do y'all even vote? < On that, I am aware y'all were important in me not having to pledge me no goofy pledge to a nation that declares I trust in a God I can't even show exists. I sure 'preciate y'all for that'n, and I joined the Army sorta to help in all that.
Thank you. I think. lol... No we do not pledge allegiance to anyone but God. We of course respect the countries we live in and appreciate the freedom they afford but we do not feel comfortable pledging our lives to anyone but our Creator. We will obey the laws of the land, pay our taxes and try and be honest law-abiding citizens but our first loyalty is to our God.

JoeyKnothead wrote: On the blood transfusion deal, is there any leeway for a parent who's just horror stricken at the thought of their child dying, even if they're headin' to 'em a better place?
Yes, Jehovah's Witnesses accept non-blood substitutes (which often carry less risk than the bloodbased equivalent), so in the majority of cases this isn't an issue. In most lands courts take charge of minor children if they believe that alternatives are not sufficient.

(JWs don't believe death represents "a better place" - there's no better place ofr a child than alive, in good health with their loving parents. Nor do we believe children go to heaven).

JoeyKnothead wrote: If I'm a Jehovah's Witness in each and every other individual, mi-nute detail of my life, only I can't cotton to that'n, how's that work? Is there something y'all need to say, that helps us to better understand y'all? Tell it.
If you are refering to the medical use of blood transfusions, I strongly recommend you follow the links.

Video (30mins) & Other infor on the page
https://www.jw.org/en/publications/vide ... challenge/

This is for medical PROFESSIONALS so its a bit complicated but you might find some of it understandable and helpful
https://www.jw.org/en/medical-library/

Again thank you for your questions, hope my answers were helpful.

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8