Simple Question

Getting to know more about a specific belief

Moderator: Moderators

Taff Lafferty
Apprentice

Simple Question

Post #1

Post by Taff Lafferty »

If your parents had practiced and had a different a different religion, do you think you would belong to that religion too?
Taff Lafferty

I see you

Taff Lafferty
Apprentice

Re: Simple Question

Post #11

Post by Taff Lafferty »

[Replying to post 10 by JehovahsWitness]

its phrased like an accident, when really its more of a deliberate act, is that a fair observation.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #12

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Taff Lafferty wrote: [Replying to post 10 by JehovahsWitness]

its phrased like an accident, when really its more of a deliberate act, is that a fair observation.
I'm sorry, to what are you refering to? Can you clarify? Our preaching? My finding the JW religion?...
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Taff Lafferty
Apprentice

Post #13

Post by Taff Lafferty »

[Replying to post 12 by JehovahsWitness]

Sorry if i am not clear, my fault, when i first read your answer to my question i read it like it was an accident your finding JW but i reread the thread and its clear what you meant.

My knowledge is limited of JW but from my understanding most people find their way to being a Jehovahs Witness through being converted via another.

Your belief within Christianity is still Christianity, so my original question means in relation to you, if your parents were Muslim you believe that you would still be a JW?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #14

Taff Lafferty wrote:
Sorry if i am not clear, my fault, when i first read your answer to my question i read it like it was an accident your finding JW but i reread the thread and its clear what you meant.

My knowledge is limited of JW but from my understanding most people find their way to being a Jehovahs Witness through being converted via another.

Your belief within Christianity is still Christianity, so my original question means in relation to you, if your parents were Muslim you believe that you would still be a JW?
No problem. Yes it is true that most Jehovah's Witnesses are not raised in the faith but "convert" to our religion (from other religions). Which lend credence to the claim that had I (or any of us) been raised in another religion (I do believe Islam qualifies as "another religion") there is a high liklihood that would would still have found our way to this particlar religion.

Now obviously one has to factor in the probability of exposure. It is highly unlikey that if I was raised in a small village up in the mountains of Afganistan that exposure would have happened. so the liklihood is greatly reduced, not because the religion would not have appealed (or even because the socio-religious problems changing would have posed) but because the would be little chance of being exposed to other religions being raised in such circumstances, especially one as small as my own.

If my parents were muslim and I was raised in the west and had contact with Jehovah's Witnesses, I believe strongly I would be one of Jehovah's Witnesses. I can't say as much for any other nominal christian religion.

I guess the question is not as simple as it seemed at first.

JW

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

Taff Lafferty
Apprentice

Post #15

Post by Taff Lafferty »

[Replying to post 14 by JehovahsWitness]

I completely understand locality and culture, but that does not cover my understanding of the contact, my understanding of JW is its almost over welming in its complete belief in its message. That complete belief is held and given in the group message given to the interested party.
Taff Lafferty

I see you

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #16

Taff Lafferty wrote: That complete belief is held and given in the group message given to the interested party.

I'm sorry, you've lost me again... (not enough coffee.. duh (me))...

I understand that you are saying that JWs believe strongly in the bible message (as they see it). That I would agree with. But then you state the above. I can't comment on this because I don't understand it.

JW

Taff Lafferty
Apprentice

Post #17

Post by Taff Lafferty »

[Replying to post 16 by JehovahsWitness]

Im saying that an interested party can be overwhelmed by a group strongly held belief.
Taff Lafferty

I see you

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #18

[Replying to post 17 by Taff Lafferty]

Yes, I suppose that could be true, especially if one is confronted with more than one member of that group at the same time.

Taff Lafferty
Apprentice

Post #19

Post by Taff Lafferty »

When a human commits to something and voices strong opinion on it, well its hard to retract and pull out and admit you may have got it wrong.

Its easy to voice doubts in the group and again be swayed by a group belief, moving deeper into religious belief.

This is one of the reasons i asked about you about reading the bible, its always easy to find fruit in your chosen literature to evidence under pinning beliefs in group, bring evidence of a criticism of that belief from the same literature and it wont be well received, and also more supporting paragraphs will be found to counter your evidence dismissing it out of hand.

Group reading is control.

No offence intended but if you feel i have, tell me how and why please.
Taff Lafferty

I see you

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #20

Taff Lafferty wrote: No offence intended but if you feel i have, tell me how and why please.
No offence taken at all. You are right, we must remain humble if we want to progress spiritual.

Respect

JW