Questions For Jehovah's Witnesses

Getting to know more about a specific belief

Moderator: Moderators

David Henson
Apprentice

Questions For Jehovah's Witnesses

Post #1

Post by David Henson »

What is the overall theme of the Bible. If you had to explain the overall meaning of the Bible in one sentence, what would it be? The Bible is all about what?

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Re: Questions For Jehovah's Witnesses

Post #2

Post by Tired of the Nonsense »

David Henson wrote: What is the overall theme of the Bible. If you had to explain the overall meaning of the Bible in one sentence, what would it be? The Bible is all about what?
The oldest portions of the Bible, the Torah, accomplish three main things. First, in the first two books of the Bible especially, the Torah provides the Jewish nation with it's unifying tribal identity as a nation through origin stories. Second, it provides the Jewish nation with examples of the power and might of it's tribal God and the obligations owed to their tribal God by outlining the nature of their covenant with that God. And third, and perhaps most significant of all, the Torah outlines the nature of the special position of the priestly class, the Levites, within Jewish society, all of the perks that are to be enjoyed by the priestly class, and indemnifies the priestly class from any responsibility for all calamities and disasters which may subsequentially befall the nation.

NOT coincidentally, the Torah was written by Levites.
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Questions For Jehovah's Witnesses

Post #3

Post by JehovahsWitness »

David Henson wrote:
What is the overall theme of the Bible. If you had to explain the overall meaning of the Bible in one sentence, what would it be? The Bible is all about what?

Hello David Henson,

I see you've been trying to get my attention (see post script "ps" below), sorry I've taken so long to reply. The main theme of the bible can be summed up as: The role of the KINGDOM in the SANCTIFICATION of God's name.

This might seem complicated but its very simple really. God (Jehovah) The Creator of the universe created the earth and humans. He put them in a paradise garden and wanted the entire earth to be a beautiful garden inhabited with perfect happy people all worshipping Him.

Sadly the first humans (Adam and Eve) rebelled against God, rejecting His rulership and casting doubt on His (God's) right to rule humans - making God look bad. The bible is about how God will clear his reputation (SANCTIFY HIS NAME) and re-establish that original paradise. His means of doing this is to establish a government (THE KINGDOM) headed by his son Jesus Christ.

In short: What is the bible about? Paradise lost >> Paradise Regained.

For a more detailed book by book summary of what the bible is about please download or read for free online this short brochure available on the link below:

THE BIBLE:
https://www.jw.org/en/publications/books/bible-message/

Hope that helps,

JW

PS: If you have any further questions feel free to ask here or perhaps more appropriately on the subforum Questions for a group (where any of my Jehovah's Witness brothers or sisters may answer) or if you want to ask me something specifically on the subforum Questions for a Specific User these forums are good as it means there is less distraction from other non-witness posters. I do try and reply as quickly as possible but real life does sometimes get in the way so please be patient.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8