End times

Getting to know more about a specific belief

Moderator: Moderators

Mark Cecil

End times

Post #1

Post by Mark Cecil »

According to Matthew 24 verses 30-34 Jesus believed he would return before his generation would pass away. Yet it is almost two thousand years since his prediction and we are still waiting on him. How can this be?

Deeogee
Student

Re: Matthew 24v30

Post #11

Post by Deeogee »

[Replying to Mark Cecil in post #7]

(Mt 24) is divided into two parts. (two questions are asked in vs 3)

Vs 1-34 is referring to the destruction of Jerusalem. (figurative language).

Vs 36 - end of chapter is speaking of the end of time. (coming of Christ)
You purified your souls in obeying the truth...being born again. (1Peter 1:22,23)

Ozzy_O
Student

Re: Matthew 24v30

Post #12

Post by Ozzy_O »

Mark Cecil wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:18 pm I just wonder how a preterist would interpret matt 24v30 as it says the people's of the earth will 'see' the son of Man coming on the clouds but there wasn't a visible seeing of the son of Man at the destruction of the Jewish temple. Plus the verse also says all the people of the earth will mourn, this was not observed either when the temple was destroyed.
That one always tripped me up...

This is a great article. I'm slowly becoming a partial preterist.....

https://www.bereanbiblechurch.org/trans ... return.htm

wannabe
Apprentice

Re: End times

Post #13

Post by wannabe »

Mark Cecil wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:32 pm According to Matthew 24 verses 30-34 Jesus believed he would return before his generation would pass away. Yet it is almost two thousand years since his prediction and we are still waiting on him. How can this be?
The generation spoken of in the opening passage refers to the church of Christ.
Re read the passage bearing in mind his immediate audience and, that the generation he speaks of relates to the christian church.
Makes more sense.
:
:

Live to give , Give to live ( love Jesus )

: I believe a mans spirit is more than just his imagination.

I believe in forever. That's true even without religion.(or man)

: Live to give, give to life, Forgive to live.

Miles
Savant

Re: End times

Post #14

Post by Miles »

wannabe wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:55 pm
Mark Cecil wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:32 pm According to Matthew 24 verses 30-34 Jesus believed he would return before his generation would pass away. Yet it is almost two thousand years since his prediction and we are still waiting on him. How can this be?
The generation spoken of in the opening passage refers to the church of Christ.
Re read the passage bearing in mind his immediate audience and, that the generation he speaks of relates to the christian church.
Makes more sense.
But there wasn't any Christian church or church of Christ while Jesus was alive. Jesus was a Jew born of Jews and spoke to Jews as Jews.
And that the use of "generation," as it's sometimes used in Matthew 24:34, referred to Jesus's immediate audience and not some other concocted entity is demonstrated by the fact that other Bibles recognize the reference to the immediate audience and describe it as such.

Matthew 24:30-34
30 “Then there will be something in the sky that shows the Son of Man is coming. All the people of the world will cry. Everyone will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds in the sky. He will come with power and great glory. 31 He will use a loud trumpet to send his angels all around the earth. They will gather his chosen people from every part of the earth.

32 “The fig tree teaches us a lesson: When its branches become green and soft, and new leaves begin to grow, then you know that summer is very near. 33 In the same way, when you see all these things happening, you will know that the time[a] is very near, already present. 34 I assure you that all these things will happen while some of the people of this time are still living.

along with the description given in other Bibles, including, but not limited to:

Matthew 24:34

GNT
34 Remember that all these things will happen before the people now living have all died.

CJB
34 Yes! I tell you that this people will certainly not pass away before all these things happen.

NCV
34 I tell you the truth, all these things will happen while the people of this time are still living.

NIRV
34 What I’m about to tell you is true. The people living now will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened.

NLV
34 For sure, I tell you, the people of this day will not pass away before all these things have happened.

ICB
34 I tell you the truth. All these things will happen while the people of this time are still living!