End times

Getting to know more about a specific belief

Moderator: Moderators

Mark Cecil

End times

Post #1

Post by Mark Cecil »

According to Matthew 24 verses 30-34 Jesus believed he would return before his generation would pass away. Yet it is almost two thousand years since his prediction and we are still waiting on him. How can this be?

postroad
Prodigy

Post #2

Post by postroad »

The standard apologetic resolves this by replacing this generation with the generation that witnesses the rebirth of Israel as a state. This means that not all those who witnessed this in 1948 will not have died off before Christ returns.

This formed the basis for Hal Lindsey's book "The Late Great Planet Earth" He insisted that a generation indicated forty years. When 1988 came and went without Jesus returning the term "generation" has been ever increasing.

Of course Jesus doesn't have to wait till the last minute? Eventually that generation will all be deceased and how the movement Lindsey articulated will adapt I can only guess?

catnip
Guru

Re: End times

Post #3

Post by catnip »

Mark Cecil wrote: According to Matthew 24 verses 30-34 Jesus believed he would return before his generation would pass away. Yet it is almost two thousand years since his prediction and we are still waiting on him. How can this be?
There are a good number of believers who thought he was predicting the coming rebellions, especially the one that brought on the fall of the temple approximately forty years later. But there was yet another one that caused the Jewish diaspora in around 135 CE. Jerusalem was essentially leveled, renamed and Jews were not allowed into it for a while. When he describes fleeing with what you have and that they should hope that it wasn't on a Sabbath or in the winter, etc., all describes it. He warns about carrion foul and I realized that the reason is that you can see for miles where dead bodies are and so it is a warning about where not to go.

You can check Preterism or the Preterist view. I would suggest that I did not choose to be a Preterist. Nobody taught me--I just researched the period and came to that conclusion. Note that Jesus does not say the end, but that these are the birth pangs of the New Age that was beginning. Nothing points to it being the permanent end--it was the end of the age, the end of the Jewish way of life and the Temple and sacrifices in the Holy Land.

Neatras
Guru

Post #4

Post by Neatras »

GISMYS wrote: [Replying to post 39 by Neatras]

This is my opinion from reading Bible prophecy=I expect Jesus to return before the end of 2016 and by seeing myself bible prophecy coming true almost each day the last few years! are you ready?
Next one's coming up soon!

postroad
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by postroad »

[Replying to post 4 by Neatras]

Is that member still active?

Neatras
Guru

Post #6

Post by Neatras »

Sadly no, he and a few of his alt accounts have already been removed. I do so wish I could hear him worm his way out of another failed prediction, though.

Mark Cecil

Matthew 24v30

Post #7

Post by Mark Cecil »

I just wonder how a preterist would interpret matt 24v30 as it says the people's of the earth will 'see' the son of Man coming on the clouds but there wasn't a visible seeing of the son of Man at the destruction of the Jewish temple. Plus the verse also says all the people of the earth will mourn, this was not observed either when the temple was destroyed.

Deeogee
Student

Re: Matthew 24v30

Post #8

Post by Deeogee »

[Replying to Mark Cecil in post #7]

Check this out.

“Christianity Could Not Possibly Be True”

by Eric Lyons, M.Min.

http://apologeticspress.org/APContent.a ... ticle=3789

Left Behind—or Left Bedazzled? (Part I)

by Dave Miller, Ph.D.

http://apologeticspress.org/APContent.a ... ticle=5051
You purified your souls in obeying the truth...being born again. (1Peter 1:22,23)

woodtick
Student

Post #9

Post by woodtick »

Deeogee
Student

Post #10

Post by Deeogee »

[Replying to Mark Cecil in post #7]

(Mt 24) is divided into two parts. (two questions are asked in vs 3)

Vs 1-34 is referring to the destruction of Jerusalem. (figurative language).

Vs 36 - end of chapter is speaking of the end of time. (coming of Christ)
You purified your souls in obeying the truth...being born again. (1Peter 1:22,23)